Post Thanks / Like

Stupid is as stupid does

https://www.facebook.com/truck180/vi...0123969359868/

Hope it comes through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stupid is as stupid does

When I was at northwestern Ohio university , back when it was northwestern tech and business. There was a dip of a student who ran a rear brake line through the coil spring, because he cut the line too short.
    Maybe it was the same guy.

Omg, to leave the brake caliper off , really! Why even run that whole new line then. Not that it was routed safely. Even if money is tight one can afford a twenty for a used caliber.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It would be funny if it wasn’t so sad. I wonder if the owner knew about it. They brought it in for repair so they knew “something” was wrong. The front brakes do most of the work, but the ABS light would have been on from the time of the purchase. Confusing.

I agree something needs to be done about safety, but inspection stations did not work here in GA. You could always find a crooked one to get a sticker or you would get the real crooked ones that would fail you to charge you for unnecessary repairs. I’m not sure what the solution is.

Post Thanks / Like

My brother used to live in Pikevile KY back in the 80’s. He was a mechanic at a Ford dealer. I remember him telling me that KY didn’t have a state inspection. Wow. I just googled it. Didn’t know that many states did not require an inspection

Post Thanks / Like

I`m going to be generous and offer that maybe the tech was waiting for a new caliper, and had blocked off that brake line so they could move the vehicle, and then he was sick the next day and someone thought it was done and let the owner pick it up. That of course doesn`t explain the routing and the undersized line...of course maybe they were waiting for the right line, too. Who knows.
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the video, and all the fittings, the rotor with no caliper, all of this stuff looked like it had been that way for a long, long, time.. Lots of dirt, etc., stuck all over those places..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishroes View Post
    My brother used to live in Pikevile KY back in the 80’s. He was a mechanic at a Ford dealer. I remember him telling me that KY didn’t have a state inspection. Wow. I just googled it. Didn’t know that many states did not require an inspection
    I`d also offer that not all state inspections are the same. Here in Illinois, the inspections are only for emmissions puproses only, only apply to vehicles four years old and older, isn`t required every year, and only applies in certain counties. When going to the inspection station, you simply pull into a bay, plug in a tool to the OBD II port, and wait for the result. They even have a "self-serve" line! At no point does anyone check to see if the vehicle is in good working order or safe to be on the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Texas does safety inspections. The two years (on five cars, for a total of ten)I had them done there by two different shops, was a total joke. All they really checked was all the exterior lights, and that the wiper blades weren`t falling apart. Harris county also had emissions inspection. I still saw plenty of vehicles with non working lights, cracked windshields, bald tires, rolling coal diesels. I don`t think it made much of a difference. MOT like in the United Kingdom is a whole different ballgame.

Post Thanks / Like

Found `em........

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk
    Likes Coleroad, Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

People seem to think they have a "right to drive" without any commensurate responsibility being attached. If everybody had to understand their vehicles, and know their condition, and/or at least pass Inspections (which might go a long way towards those first two)...well, I guess [sarcasm] it`d be "unfair" or something because "then only elites could drive." [/sarcasm]

And yeah...I`ve known elderly men *and women* who *knew* this stuff and made sure their cars were roadworthy; they took the whole "driving a car" thing *very* seriously, maybe because when they were younger it was much more important for a driver to not be clueless (a breakdown in the desert 80 years ago wasn`t just an inconvenience).

The people I know who don`t know/care about Cars all have theirs looked at quite regularly... "I don`t know anything about it so I have it checked by people who do because it`s so important".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    MOT like in the United Kingdom is a whole different ballgame.
    You`re not kidding! I was really surpised when my first MOT instpection took nearly an hour to complete. I was also impressed by the local constables would impound cars on the spot which they felt were unsafe and wouldn`t pass an MOT inspection. I knew of at least one individual who was known for buying rusted hulks being really late for work one day due to being pulled over and told he was not driving anywhere in his current vehicle and that car had a one-way trip to the scrap yard effective immediatly. I don`t think a day goes by when I see some vehicles which I know are not safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    People seem to think they have a "right to drive" without any commensurate responsibility being attached. If everybody had to understand their vehicles, and know their condition, and/or at least pass Inspections (which might go a long way towards those first two)...well, I guess [sarcasm] it`d be "unfair" or something because "then only elites could drive." [/sarcasm]
    People don`t seem to understand they are piloting a 1~3 ton steel and plastic lethal weapon at speed and safe operation takes more than keeping it pointed in the right direction.

The people I know who don`t know/care about Cars all have theirs looked at quite regularly... "I don`t know anything about it so I have it checked by people who do because it`s so important".
    I respect that. At least they care. Too many people I know will talk about something not working right which could be really serious and when I bring it up I get the, "deer in the headlights" look. "You mean I`m not supposed to smeel the exhaust in the cabin?"

Post Thanks / Like

As bad as that is, I`d rather worry about that than drunk/high/distracted drivers. VA has inspections but they vary in quality. Some shops let just about anything through, while others use the inspection process as a way to get repair orders. I was in a hurry once and used a place closer than my regular inspection place. They failed me for a worn upper motor mount. Sure, they it was tired, but they were in no way a safety issue, they were nice enough to quote me the crazy price to replace it.

Post Thanks / Like

Shouldn`t have to worry about *anybody* else...but eh, I know I`m just preachin` to the choir here.

BTW, the title of this thread reminds me of some low-IQ people I know IRL who took that saying from Forrest Gump and basically made it their motto. Low-IQ does *NOT* always mean "stupid" and these folks (three siblings) aren`t functionally stupid by a long shot. They just don`t do stupid stuff, period. Ever, to the best of my knowledge and I`ve know `em for quite a while.

They`re always well put-together and well-spoken, two of the three have enjoyed successful, rewarding, long-term careers (the third takes care of the household stuff), their dogs earn numerous obedience/etc. awards, and yeah...they have their vehicle well taken care of by Pros, including keeping it pretty nicely detailed. I know a scad of high-IQ people who are, at least in the functional sense, utter morons compared to those three.

Thread Information