Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Starting with brand new leather

Recently installed a Katzkin leather kit onto the seats for my RAM 1500. The seats have not been re-installed, they are sitting in my basement and probably will be for a while (freakin cold weather!)

While they sit there I was curious....now is probably as good a time as any to apply a product to them.

What does everyone suggest? I figure a quick wipedown with water just to make sure everything is off them (shouldnt be much, they came out of plastic and onto the seats). I haven`t verified but Im guessing they are coated, so we could fire up the great debate about "why even bother" all the way up to "Leatherique is the best".

My truck will be sitting outside 24/7 so I wanted to make sure the leather is protected from day 1.

Thanks!

-Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting with brand new leather

When I got a new car with leather interior, went over seats with Gyeon Leather Shield. 18 months/32k miles later have been pleased with its performance.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

chris03tl- I`d apply the Leather Doctor`s Protection Cream if I bothered doing anything. Otherwise I`d just keep `em clean. I wouldn`t expect issues from being outside since the glass oughta block most of the UV, but it`s easy for *me* to say that since it`s not my leather.

If I really wanted to do something to protect them I`d just put on seat covers (which I do use on the dog-haulers in the summer when I`ll be wearing shorts).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    When I got a new car with leather interior, went over seats with Gyeon Leather Shield. 18 months/32k miles later have been pleased with its performance.
    Do you use Q2M Leather Cleaner or Q2 Leather Coat as maintenance products?

Post Thanks / Like

I’m torn on this subject. Keeping them clean and applying some 303 Protectant should be enough, as I’m sure they have a plastic coating on them. But(always a but) with coating technology at the point it is I’m going to coat my vehicle’s leather with IGL Leather Coating. I want as much protection as technology will give me. I’ve seen enough cracked leather to know that sun does a number on leather and after it starts cracking you are just playing catch-up, so do it right the first time and don’t worry about it.

I do worry about coatings wearing off at different rates, based on wear, and you just can’t buff it off like it was on paint. Pluses and minuses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    .. I’m going to coat my vehicle’s leather with IGL Leather Coating...[but]... you just can’t buff it off like it was on paint. Pluses and minuses.
    How *will* you redo it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SGM2008 View Post
    I did go over it quickly with the Leather Cleaner at about 12 months but that`s about it.
    Likes SGM2008 liked this post
    Thanks SGM2008 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning and protecting leather has been an oft-debated subject in this forum.
    Audi R8 Interior Detailing

If you want a thought-provoking discussion and thorough analysis to leather care; please see the thread:
    Leather care?

Stokdgs reply for a leather-care suggestion (this one I highly respect, as I consider him an Autopian All-star):
    Most Effective Leather Reconditioner
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

For the op I made my post on your autogeek thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Good stuff for sure. Lasts a good amount of time and performs well.

I have and they both work. In most cases a weekly wipedown with something similar to Meguiar`s Quik Interior Detailer is all that is needed for cleaning. Leather Coat just helps with the feeling. At least from my experience playing with the combo. A lot of it is repelled from the coating by noticing the hydrophobic properties when it is applied to the ceramic coated surface. I am not sure it actually extends the coatings performance any more than just having the coating on the seat. Abrasion is going to be the remover of both.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I’m torn on this subject. Keeping them clean and applying some 303 Protectant should be enough, as I’m sure they have a plastic coating on them. But(always a but) with coating technology at the point it is I’m going to coat my vehicle’s leather with IGL Leather Coating. I want as much protection as technology will give me. I’ve seen enough cracked leather to know that sun does a number on leather and after it starts cracking you are just playing catch-up, so do it right the first time and don’t worry about it.

I do worry about coatings wearing off at different rates, based on wear, and you just can’t buff it off like it was on paint. Pluses and minuses.
    I would not worry too much about it. At least I did not when I recoated two interiors with a reapplication of Gyeon Leather and the other with Cquartz Leather. Simply wipe clean and recoat and back in business. No worry whatsoever or over thinking.

303 is nice but it just seemed to attract more dirt. Sort of like CarPro Perl and other leather conditioners. The leather sealers do a better job of that.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    For the op I made my post on your autogeek thread.

Good stuff for sure. Lasts a good amount of time and performs well.

I have and they both work. In most cases a weekly wipedown with something similar to Meguiar`s Quik Interior Detailer is all that is needed for cleaning. Leather Coat just helps with the feeling. At least from my experience playing with the combo. A lot of it is repelled from the coating by noticing the hydrophobic properties when it is applied to the ceramic coated surface. I am not sure it actually extends the coatings performance any more than just having the coating on the seat. Abrasion is going to be the remover of both.

I would not worry too much about it. At least I did not when I recoated two interiors with a reapplication of Gyeon Leather and the other with Cquartz Leather. Simply wipe clean and recoat and back in business. No worry whatsoever or over thinking.

303 is nice but it just seemed to attract more dirt. Sort of like CarPro Perl and other leather conditioners. The leather sealers do a better job of that.
    Guz ... how much slickness does Gyeon Shield add to the leather seats?

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Some all around Leather Cleaners and Protector for me has always been Zaino Z9 Leather Soft Spray Cleaner and Zaino Z-10 Leather in a Bottle or Duragloss leather care products. I been using / trying Colourlock Protector products for awhile on Leather and Non Leather and they work very well.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Guz ... how much slickness does Gyeon Shield add to the leather seats?
    I would say as slick as when a typical leather conditioner is applied but the effects just last longer. I can feel it when I get out of the car but not so much while I am driving.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes SGM2008, RMD, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks SGM2008 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    How *will* you redo it?
    I’m not sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

IGL leather works great. I have used it on multiple occasions.

As for redoing it we suggest using IGL multi diluted a bit to wipe it down. I`m sure a diluted APC would work if needed to get it ready to recoat before using the standard IGL Precoat wipe down.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Likes The Guz, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justins00ss View Post
    IGL leather works great. I have used it on multiple occasions.

As for redoing it we suggest using IGL multi diluted a bit to wipe it down. I`m sure a diluted APC would work if needed to get it ready to recoat before using the standard IGL Precoat wipe down.
    I`d sure use something acidic after any APC, since most of `em are alkaline and that`s really bad for leather.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information