Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Please suggest a 2 in 1 or 3 in 1 product for black car that is easy to use without smudges

I have a 2007 BMW Black paint. I just used a DA with orange, white and black pads. I used Megs Ultimate products.
    I`m happy with the results but see some smudges especially if I use Megs Detailer.

Please suggest a 2 in 1 or all in one product for a black car.

Also are their any quick detailers that do not smudge?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please suggest a 2 in 1 or 3 in 1 product for black car that is easy to use without smudges

corvetteman71- Welcome to Autopia!

I haven`t done a `vette for so long that I can`t really help with a product suggestion...and/but note that the modelyear might factor is as some are a lot harder than others (well, my `77 and `99 were completely different).

But about the smudges from the Detailing Spray...wonder if that was from the Spray itself of something it wasn`t really getting off the paint. Curious what you were doing for that to happen...I can`t recall ever having any Detailing Spray smudge. Were you perhaps using it to help remove the polish residue? I`d use a "polishing oil remover/stripper" product for something like that, although I do use M34 to help remove aggressive (e.g., M105 or M101) compound residues that can cause nasty micro-marring (before using something else to remove the residual polishing oils).

Maybe you just need a different type of Spray to get those smudges sorted out and then it`ll all be OK. Finding an All-In-One/etc. product that`ll do both correction and finish polishing on a black Corvette might be asking a bit much (though I`m curious what others might recommend).
    Likes corvetteman71 liked this post
    Thanks corvetteman71 thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please suggest a 2 in 1 or 3 in 1 product for black car that is easy to use without smudges

Quote Originally Posted by corvetteman71 View Post
    I have a 2007 BMW Black paint. I just used a DA with orange, white and black pads. I used Megs Ultimate products.
    I`m happy with the results but see some smudges especially if I use Megs Detailer.

Please suggest a 2 in 1 or all in one product for a black car.

Also are their any quick detailers that do not smudge?
    Welcome to the Forum !!!

Which Black Paint do you have on that Bimmer ??? Is it a Metallic Black or my Favorite, Jet Black ???
    Makes a big difference..

Which D/A, whose pads? what were the pad sizes ?

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I’m guessing you don’t have any major flaws you are trying to correct and are just looking for minor correction and some light protection. I would suggest Menzerma One Steo Polish that leaves behind a carnauba glow or Wolfgang Uber that leaves behind more protection with a sealant. Blackfire One Step is the new kid on the block but it’s getting good reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    corvetteman71- Welcome to Autopia!

I haven`t done a `vette for so long that I can`t really help with a product suggestion...and/but note that the modelyear might factor is as some are a lot harder than others (well, my `77 and `99 were completely different).

But about the smudges from the Detailing Spray...wonder if that was from the Spray itself of something it wasn`t really getting off the paint. Curious what you were doing for that to happen...I can`t recall ever having any Detailing Spray smudge. Were you perhaps using it to help remove the polish residue? I`d use a "polishing oil remover/stripper" product for something like that, although I do use M34 to help remove aggressive (e.g., M105 or M101) compound residues that can cause nasty micro-marring (before using something else to remove the residual polishing oils).

Maybe you just need a different type of Spray to get those smudges sorted out and then it`ll all be OK. Finding an All-In-One/etc. product that`ll do both correction and finish polishing on a black Corvette might be asking a bit much (though I`m curious what others might recommend).
    Thanks for the welcome! It is a Jet Black BMW Z4. The Corvette name comes from 18 years ago when I was on this board previously.

I know some sprays work better than others. Hopefully there are some that leave less smudges.

I saw Griots makes a 3 in 1. Is that any good?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Welcome to the Forum !!!

Which Black Paint do you have on that Bimmer ??? Is it a Metallic Black or my Favorite, Jet Black ???
    Makes a big difference..

Which D/A, whose pads? what were the pad sizes ?

Dan F
    Hi Dan! Thanks for the welcome. It is indeed Jet black. Props on calling it a Bimmer. I know many say Beamer.

I used a Harbor Freight DA.
    I changed the backing pad to a Lake Country 5 inch
    I used Orange, White, and Black 5.5 inch pads from Lake Country

The paint looks pretty good now. I did have to correct a few issues. I think it was outside for work or all the time.

I did Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Polish, and Carbuba Wax.

I would prefer not to do all 3 in the future if I can get away with a 3 in 1 or 2 in 1.

Also hope to find a spray that does not smudge. I also have a silver car. I feel like my Meguaiars spray and my Mothers spray both smudge even if just temporarily.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I’m guessing you don’t have any major flaws you are trying to correct and are just looking for minor correction and some light protection. I would suggest Menzerma One Steo Polish that leaves behind a carnauba glow or Wolfgang Uber that leaves behind more protection with a sealant. Blackfire One Step is the new kid on the block but it’s getting good reviews.
    Thanks for the tips! I will look in to all 3. I`m barely a hobbyist detailer so Blackfire is the only one I have heard of previously.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Autopia, do you have photos of your car paint? after your correction work .
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Pirate View Post
    Welcome to Autopia, do you have photos of your car paint? after your correction work .
    I only did the hood and trunk lid so far since those were the ouch areas that needed some TLC. I took some pics but they are probably not the best quality pics.

EDIT: Having some trouble with attachments. Sorry

Post Thanks / Like

Menzerna 3 in 1 is a fantastic product for black vehicles, but if you don`t want as much cut, Menzerna SF3800 Super Finish Plus works wonders as a final polish. If you do not want anything with cutting power, Poorboy`s Black Hole Glaze is a fantastic product to use under many waxes or sealants, it will "correct" the what you`re going after. I`d stay away from Wolfgang Uber on your BMW, it can be a bear to remove and I have found it to have marred the softer paints, however it comes off like a dream on any BMW paint that is rock hard. Staying away from any polish that does not utilize a diminishing abrasive will allow you to avoid any headaches, HD Speed may also be good choice, but I do not have experience with it.

All in Ones that are not soft paint friendly:
    Poorboys Polish with Sealant
    Wolfgang Uber
    Drive Auto Appearance Victory Nano and Polish
    Drive Auto Appearance Ceramic Primer (Essence Competitor)

All in One`s that are soft paint friendly:
    Menzerna 3 in 1
    Griots Garage Finishing Sealant
    Carpro Essence
    Likes corvetteman71, Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    Menzerna 3 in 1 is a fantastic product for black vehicles, but if you don`t want as much cut, Menzerna SF3800 Super Finish Plus works wonders as a final polish. If you do not want anything with cutting power, Poorboy`s Black Hole Glaze is a fantastic product to use under many waxes or sealants, it will "correct" the what you`re going after. I`d stay away from Wolfgang Uber on your BMW, it can be a bear to remove and I have found it to have marred the softer paints, however it comes off like a dream on any BMW paint that is rock hard. Staying away from any polish that does not utilize a diminishing abrasive will allow you to avoid any headaches, HD Speed may also be good choice, but I do not have experience with it.

All in Ones that are not soft paint friendly:
    Poorboys Polish with Sealant
    Wolfgang Uber
    Drive Auto Appearance Victory Nano and Polish
    Drive Auto Appearance Ceramic Primer (Essence Competitor)

All in One`s that are soft paint friendly:
    Menzerna 3 in 1
    Griots Garage Finishing Sealant
    Carpro Essence
    Thanks for all the suggestions. If possible can you narrow it down to the easiest to remove that will not leave smudges? A black car is hard to keep clean so I`m looking for something easy since I will have to use it too often, lol. My car does not have to be show car quality or the best of the best. Just good and easy to remove suits me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by corvetteman71 View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. If possible can you narrow it down to the easiest to remove that will not leave smudges? A black car is hard to keep clean so I`m looking for something easy since I will have to use it too often, lol. My car does not have to be show car quality or the best of the best. Just good and easy to remove suits me.
    The All in One with the most protection will be the Carpro Essence. It has been a while since I have used Essence and I do not remember how easy it is to remove, but I don`t remember it being relatively as hard as the Griots Garage Finishing Sealant. Between the Menzerna and Griot`s, Menzerna is barely easier for me, here in Texas (Climate does play a role in product performance and removal). However, I do think that it would be much easier for you to polish the car as least as possible, glaze it when you think it needs a polish, and then put on a durable last step product. That way you`re not having to chase your tail as much, can preserve the clear coat, and spend less time polishing and more time maintaining/ enjoying the car, but thats my opinion. If you are into taking a polisher to the car multiple times a year, then have at it.
    Likes corvetteman71, Older liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    The All in One with the most protection will be the Carpro Essence. It has been a while since I have used Essence and I do not remember how easy it is to remove, but I don`t remember it being relatively as hard as the Griots Garage Finishing Sealant. Between the Menzerna and Griot`s, Menzerna is barely easier for me, here in Texas (Climate does play a role in product performance and removal). However, I do think that it would be much easier for you to polish the car as least as possible, glaze it when you think it needs a polish, and then put on a durable last step product. That way you`re not having to chase your tail as much, can preserve the clear coat, and spend less time polishing and more time maintaining/ enjoying the car, but thats my opinion. If you are into taking a polisher to the car multiple times a year, then have at it.
    I used to use Klase AIO, Glaze and Sealant 20 years ago but I honestly do not even remember what the difference between a glaze and a polish is nowadays. Do you think I should be using glaze and sealant instead of polish and wax?

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum! If it’s anything like the jet black M3’s I did the paint is rock hard. I’m assuming giving the pad/product choice you haven’t removed all the defects. I may be wrong as the BMW’s I did were a little newer. You may want to try going a little more aggressive to remove the defects then refining the finish with polish then use a good sealant or possibly a coating to lock in the finish. Just my .02. Of course this depends on paint thickness before you start.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Welcome to the forum! If it’s anything like the jet black M3’s I did the paint is rock hard. I’m assuming giving the pad/product choice you haven’t removed all the defects. I may be wrong as the BMW’s I did were a little newer. You may want to try going a little more aggressive to remove the defects then refining the finish with polish then use a good sealant or possibly a coating to lock in the finish. Just my .02. Of course this depends on paint thickness before you start.
    Thanks Dave! Since this was the first time I have used a DA in 20 years I was cautious. I got very good results but I may go for another pass in the future. The few paint issues I had are 95% gone. Since I put polish and wax over top I will wait some time before going after it again with compound. I have no idea what paint is hard or soft. Is one better than the other?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information