Post Thanks / Like

Car is fully washed and detailed, what about the rusted brake rotors?

Im wondering how some people deal the brake rotors rust after its been washed. The only thing I have come up with is drive the car very slowly with foot on brake a very short distance and the rust dust isnt too bad on the wheel. If I get in car and drive normal speed to the first stop I make it will have a nice coat of rust on the wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car is fully washed and detailed, what about the rusted brake rotors?

I generally do something similar to you. I drive my car up and down my driveway slowly and work the brake slowly till I do not hear that *sheering* sound anymore.
    Some people like to use a rust stopper product like Hyde`s Serum Rust Stopper which you spray on the rotor, brakes and it helps stops the rust build up from occurring.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/hyde...l#.XBK5_KdKiM8

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    I generally do something similar to you. I drive my car up and down my driveway slowly and work the brake slowly till I do not hear that *sheering* sound anymore.
    Some people like to use a rust stopper product like Hyde`s Serum Rust Stopper which you spray on the rotor, brakes and it helps stops the rust build up from occurring.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/hyde...l#.XBK5_KdKiM8
    Do you know if that affects a coating like Gyeon Rim that I have on my wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

It is ph neutral and acid free so it should not cause any issues with the coating.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I never worried about that because I consider it trivial.
    Likes Old Pirate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The surface rust on my rotors is sometimes too serious to be dismissed as trivial; it literally ruined the S8`s rotors one time when I figured it`d be no big deal to just let it go

I do the "drive it a little". Then I use a RW to reclean the wheels.

I thought the Hydes would be great, but IME it`s merely so-so. And, while it might be a complete coincidence (yeah, right ), after I used it on the A8 the last time, getting some on the calipers, I had to get the calipers refinished as their oe finish suddenly went bad. I`d used it before without issues (other than its mediocre performance), but that time it cost me a bundle and now I`m leery of using it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    I never worried about that because I consider it trivial.
    Thanks for the comment. It was great input. If its so trivial why even bother to read post and then take time to make a worthless comment?

When I spend time and money doing something like cleaning my wheels I like some pay back. That pay back is they look good for a little while.
    Dislikes Coleroad disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Don R- FWIW, RTexasF might`ve come across more, uhm..dismissive..than intended. He`s not the kind of guy who trolls a thread just to tell somebody their concerns aren`t valid.

It seems that the severity of this issue varies greatly, from "what?!? no big deal.." to my "what do you mean I need new rotors?!?".

You might want to try RWing the wheels after a spin around the block (with some good, hard braking included). I worried about scratching their finish or something, but that`s never actually been a problem. The light coating of rust cleans off quite easily as long as the wheels are LSPed, and easily enough IMO when they`re not.

Just be a little careful about getting the RW on the rotors, I was *astounded* when having IUDJ on the swept surfaces resulted in a "holy [cow]!" moment when I first applied the brakes, man that stuff sure make `em slick, never woulda thunk it. That one hard stop did cut right through it, but two gentle stops before that did not.
    Likes Old Pirate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Since I have 3 coats of Gyeon Rim on my wheels and calipers I think I will stick with the pull out of driveway and and drive real slow with foot on brake to wipe rotors clean.
    I dont want anything eating away the ceramic coating on the wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don R View Post
    Since I have 3 coats of Gyeon Rim on my wheels and calipers I think I will stick with the pull out of driveway and and drive real slow with foot on brake to wipe rotors clean.
    I dont want anything eating away the ceramic coating on the wheels
    Hydes won`t do anything to Gyeon Rim. You will be fine if you decide to use it.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Don R- I bet the coating will hold up fine if you do that quickie rinseless wash of the wheels after driving it around the block/etc. It sure doesn`t compromise the LSPs I use on wheels, let alone the coatings I`ve tried.

Even just going up/down the driveway might be enough for the pads to wipe the rotors clean, and once that`s happened you can clean off the rust-dust easily enough since it`s not as tenacious as brakedust. Well...easily enough for something we`d all rather not have to do in the first place!

This has become a standard part of every wash for me. If the weather`s too bad I`ll move the car around in the shop, but that isn`t really very effective even though I have pretty much room.

I wish I could shake the idea that the Hyde`s messed up the finish of the A8`s calipers...just *too* coincidental, I could almost watch it happen...every place the old oe finish was a little compromised (and had been OK like that for years) looked *awful* after that use of the Hyde`s, cost me a [freakin`] fortune to have all four redone properly.

Thread Information