Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

How likely am I to jack up my paint from clay bar decon?

I haven’t seen that green Sonus super mild clay in a while. I need to see if they still make it. I always got good results from it while spot claying. I want to try that Born Slippy clay lube too.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How likely am I to jack up my paint from clay bar decon?

My preference is to spot clay with a claybar but clay the whole vehicle with a clay towel. Similar to what you guys said if I`m just trying to get a little piece of bug or whatever off I`m more "strategic" with my claybar and less likely to mar. If the whole car actually *needs* claying it`s probably time for at least a jeweling polish or AIO anyways.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I haven’t seen that green Sonus super mild clay in a while. I need to see if they still make it. I always got good results from it while spot claying. I want to try that Born Slippy clay lube too.
    With the recent changes, the most obvious being that it`s not green any more, I`ve been trying to refer to the Sonus as "SFX".

The last batch I got was light gray in color and was less, uhm...elastic?...then the green version. More "crumbly" especially, it seemed, when used with their Glyde.

So not a change for the best IMO, not by any means

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of clay lube, I tried to buy some of the BF Clay lube that they were discontinuing. I placed my order for it and I guess they ran out, they just sent me a gallon of the “new” stuff for the closeout price. A gallon will do me for years, but at $15 I couldn’t pass it up.
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    rlmccarty2000- You`ve already heard this a million times from me, but I`ll never understand how/why people get less marring with a decon towel than with clay. Cannot wrap my head around that!
    I wonder if it has something to do with surface area? Kind of like the "trick" of a man lying on a bed of nails. Or better, a man sandwiched between two boards of nails, and another guy takes a sledge hammer and breaks the brick sitting atop the board of nails. The force is spread out over the many nails, rather than concentrated on a smaller area.

SOOOOO, surface area of a small piece of clay that can fit on the palm of your hand, versus surface area of a clay towel or mitt.

Maybe. I`m just throwing it out there Maybe my thoughts aren`t even completely written here!

trashmanssd- Heh heh, maybe the loose nut here is Accumulator claying his way ...spending hours and hours, and going through lots of clay..
    That is scary! Hours and hours? Oh man.

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Both clay and towels are abrasive. IMO they should always be followed with a polishing. I prefer the nanoskin towel with Glide as lube and I don`t have an issue with any noticeable marring but I still won`t use it without polishing.
    I, too, would prefer to polish following a clay session. But I recently tried NOT polishing. Results are seen by following the link at the end

With the recent changes, the most obvious being that it`s not green any more, I`ve been trying to refer to the Sonus as "SFX".

The last batch I got was light gray in color and was less, uhm...elastic?...then the green version. More "crumbly" especially, it seemed, when used with their Glyde.

So not a change for the best IMO, not by any means
    Ahhhh, okay. That`s the same stuff I seemed to have received. I wasn`t sure what to make of it. But yeah. It`s grey, not as elastic, and can be "crumbly."

So adding my own experiences: I have marred with both clay and clay alternatives. It`s why I prefer to polish afterwards.

I`ve also have gotten away without the need for polishing, using both clay (in that case, it was the Sonus SFX mentioned above) and clay alternatives. The main thing with the latter, however, is that it takes a much longer time and a ton of clay lube! Great if you have the time (and lube). Not so much if you`re a pro trying to get `er done and gone.

Here`s a review of the Blackfire Clay Mitt I did recently. I took my time during the claying. Used TONS of "lube" and got decent results without the need for a polish. The owner didn`t want a polish, she just wanted clean and shiny.

Review: BLACKFIRE Clay Mitt
    Likes Stokdgs, Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- I`ll give you credit for thinking, but I dunno...eh, my take on this one might be kinda Accumulator-centric, including how I just don`t do whole-vehicle decontamination much at all these days and I`m *NOT* gonna do anything that`d risk precipitating the need to polish.

Actually, yeah...I might consider using the towel on a new-to-me vehicle that`d need polished anyhow, though I`d do an ABC first and then evaluate.

Post Thanks / Like

All I plan on doing is an ABC if my finish doesn’t pass a baggie test. I think I’ll get by just fine. I’ve had this car for nearly ten years without much more than spot claying so far. I attribute that to where I live though—a very clean environment free of much contamination around.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

To the OP, so you never try to clay paint before. Just remember all of us here were in the same boat as you ( me over 40 yrs ago and no clay bars yet ) just do a small area only like a side panel or a trunk and perfected your way till you get it right ( also watch some videos on You Tube ) which some members here might have done and you will get the hang of it. Just remember you won`t take the paint off with claying so give it a shot and let us all know on how you did that teat area.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!
    Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Thanks bofh thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- I`ll give you credit for thinking, but I dunno...
    THANKS! I`ll take said credit

Actually, yeah...I might consider using the towel on a new-to-me vehicle that`d need polished anyhow, though I`d do an ABC first and then evaluate.
    If I had an area where I could do home washing...I`m sure I`d be doing ABC as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Also I forgot to say to the OP, if you drop the clay bar DON`T use it again......trash can it goes.
    Thanks bofh thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Pirate View Post
    Also I forgot to say to the OP, if you drop the clay bar DON`T use it again......trash can it goes.
    So tear it up into those smaller pieces lest you have to throw away the whole thing.
    Likes DBAILEY, Old Pirate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes indeed, in small pieces so you always got some to use if that Murphy law B.S. shows up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information