Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for power tool

Does anybody make a power tool to polish these wheels or other wheels with tight spaces. It’s really a pain in the a&s to do it by hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for power tool

Mothers makes a powerball that attaches to a drill but I`ve never used one so I`m not sure how well it works

Post Thanks / Like

1/4 shank buff cones and mopheads exist. However, I let the chems/abrasive do the work. Heavy metal cutting and then go finer. WORK though

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had very good success with both Mothers PowerBall and PowerCone. Really like the cone in tight areas. I’ve never used the small ball but I know they make one.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Fishroes --
    These Mothers Power cones and Power balls will probably be the best bet for your clear coated wheels..
    Your wheels actually look really good in the pictures !
    While you are there, might be a good time to get some Dupli-Color Primer and Silver Paint and go over the rotor hats, so they all match those beautiful wheels..

Perhaps think about cleaning them really well and coating them ??
    That will definitely make maintenance so much easier..
    I have been coating all my vehicles wheels for years now and would never have it any other way...
    A breeze to clean up, then blow dry, and nothing else ever needed..
    Good luck with your research !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs Thanks for the info. I think I will paint the rotors. I will be replacing pads and rotors all the way around very soon. Ridgeline has 155,000 miles on original rotors. Pads are close to 2/3 down. They are 2nd set of pads. Without miking them I know the rotors have wear on them. I have been thinking about coating wheels but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. After you coat wheels, besides washing what do you have to do to them in the next 18 months. Wheels look pretty good. They are 2 years old. Only thing I’ve put on them is a sealant

Post Thanks / Like

PowerStop pad and rotor kit. The rotors will be slotted and vented but will also have finish on them that lasts a good while. Reasonably affordable. I probably wouldn’t drop the coin to powder coat a rotor that has already been on the road for an extended period of time.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishroes View Post
    Stokdgs Thanks for the info. I think I will paint the rotors. I will be replacing pads and rotors all the way around very soon. Ridgeline has 155,000 miles on original rotors. Pads are close to 2/3 down. They are 2nd set of pads. Without miking them I know the rotors have wear on them. I have been thinking about coating wheels but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. After you coat wheels, besides washing what do you have to do to them in the next 18 months. Wheels look pretty good. They are 2 years old. Only thing I’ve put on them is a sealant
    Fishroes --
    Wow - you have received great longevity from your brakes ! You must be very gentle on them.. I treat mine that way as well..

After I coated my wheels, all I ever have had to do is just wash them with car wash soap, rinse, dry, and nothing else is ever needed..
    They always clean up really great because the coating is in between the paint and the outside world of brake dust, etc..

I have never looked at them after washing and drying them, and thinking I need to do something else to them, because they always look great..
    Look how nice your wheels are, and all you have put on them is a sealant !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

You don`t need to do anything to the wheels after coating other than normal washing. I find soap and water are the only things needed to clean coated wheels, a wheel cleaner isn`t required. I`ve had McKees wheel coating on my current vehicle for over a year and it`s still working great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Is McKee’s an easy on easy off coating. It’s my wife’s truck. She’s put 99% of the miles on it. I’ll check prices on drilled slotted rotors. I think I will put the micrometer on the rotors before I buy any. The brakes are nice and smooth, no pulsating or anything, but I can tell you have to push down on the pedal just a little more now plus I have looked at the pads also. I will get a wheel coating so I don’t have to reapply so often. What’s the best bang for the buck

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful with PowerBalls (which I`ll never use). A lot of guys have damaged a lot of wheels with them. Everything`s swell...until it isn`t and they they`re asking Qs about how to fix it (A: by shipping them to a wheel refinisher along with a big check).

I`ve had enough 2-3 piece wheels with exposed fasteners to be confident that the only way to keep the recesses around the fasteners nice is to spend all that time with tiny applicators. I`d spend a few hours coating them (I set aside a few days when I do the Tahoe`s which have similar challenges) and then just wash until the next time.

But even with the coatings (noting I`ve only used two from Optimum), I have to use a variety of little BHBs and swabs to clean them, and that`s with (terrible but tidy) ceramic pads. Stuff gets into the recesses and even the pressure washer won`t quite get it all out.

Heh heh, there`s a practical reason why I`ll never again own those cool modular wheels...did like how they looked though.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and be wary of drilled/slotted rotors for street use. I`ve cracked enough drilled ones that I`m leery and I`d like to see genuinely controlled tests about even slotted ones on street cars. (Yeah, I know the claims but I`ve never experienced any of the benefits IRL, even on track days.)

Running temperature-indicating paint on the rotors to determine a baseline? I`d do that before thinking about drilled/slotted rotors; showed them to be unnecessary on the Tahoe, and I drive that harder than most people would.

Post Thanks / Like

We don’t do any towing with it so they are probably not needed. Are there any differences in optimum and McKees wheel coatings. I would need enough to do 3 sets of wheels. 15” 19” and 20”

Post Thanks / Like

Is McKee’s an easy on easy off coating. It’s my wife’s truck. She’s put 99% of the miles on it. I’ll check prices on drilled slotted rotors. I think I will put the micrometer on the rotors before I buy any. The brakes are nice and smooth, no pulsating or anything, but I can tell you have to push down on the pedal just a little more now plus I have looked at the pads also. I will get a wheel coating so I don’t have to reapply so often. What’s the best bang for the buck
    McKees is very easy. Apply, leave it for a few minutes, light buff with a microfiber towel and done. I have coated 3 sets of wheels and have over 50 percent of the bottle left. With the 25 percent off sale I would buy now.

Another option that is very highly regarded is capro dlux. McKees and carpro are very close in price.

Optimum doesn`t have a wheel coating. Some use their paint coating on wheels but I have no experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Oh, and be wary of drilled/slotted rotors for street use. I`ve cracked enough drilled ones that I`m leery and I`d like to see genuinely controlled tests about even slotted ones on street cars. (Yeah, I know the claims but I`ve never experienced any of the benefits IRL, even on track days.)

Running temperature-indicating paint on the rotors to determine a baseline? I`d do that before thinking about drilled/slotted rotors; showed them to be unnecessary on the Tahoe, and I drive that harder than most people would.
    I totally agree about the drilled rotors. I do like slotted rotors though, and has nothing to do with performance. With the slots being able to evacuate dirt, pad debris, and anything else abrasive that may get between the pads and rotors. Waaay less record grooving of the rotors seems to take place. So it looks much better to me over the life of the brakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information