Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Using Tape during Polishing.

I see people using tape to protect the edge of panels. As an example maybe the edge of a door. To anyone here that does this. After you polish the panel then remove the tape how are you polishing where the tape was ? I have been going over the area with a DA quickly at lower speed setting and very light pressure and was wondering if this is correct procedure. Thank you for ANY help. Disclaimer : not my picture cut and pasted it from the internet.
    Using Tape during Polishing.-screen-shot-2018-10-06-7.43.21-am.png
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using Tape during Polishing.

I will use a mini polisher to do those areas. If you don`t have access to one, you could always do it by hand.

Depending on how much `correction` those areas need, going over them quickly will not remove the defects.

Hope this helped!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes Fishing, JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Also when doing edges make sure the pad is rotating off the edge. Not rotating on to the edge. Hope that makes sense?
    Likes Fishing liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mike is right and you`ll make way more of a mess by throwing polish behind the panel.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the help. I am not sure how to do this from Mike "Also when doing edges make sure the pad is rotating off the edge.". It makes sense when I think about rotating Off instead of Into the edge but how do you do that when using a DA ? thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing View Post
    Thank you all for the help. I am not sure how to do this from Mike "Also when doing edges make sure the pad is rotating off the edge.". It makes sense when I think about rotating Off instead of Into the edge but how do you do that when using a DA ? thank you.
    Tilt the polisher. Only the side going away from the edge is touching the panel. Tough with a normal DA cause of stalling.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe
    Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Thanks Fishing thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’m too lazy for taping.
    Likes JustJesus, EzyBrzy liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Fishing -- Great question !!!

You had it correct with your own idea - go over quickly, low speed, light pressure..

I use Rotary Power and I never tape edges and I never hurt them either..

(About the only thing I ever tape is where a rubber gasket meets painted surfaces such as around the A, B, C, pillars, painted door edges where they meet a rubber gasket especially on BMW`s, etc...)

Think about it, unless the entire panel is absolutely scratched, etc., there will hardly - ever - be any major, minor, etc., correction needed on the edges...

Like everything else you do to correct, keep the pad - flat - going over the edges quickly, lower speed, light pressure..
    I have never had the edges look different from the rest of the perfectly corrected panel by using the method you mentioned above..

Do not let the outer edge of the pad you are using get caught between 2 edges while rotating..

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I prop open panels when possible. Take a towel an set the hood latch on it for example. That way you’re not hitting 2 edges at the same time. You only need to tilt very slightly to keep the pad rotation going off the edge. Looking at the machine, the top rotates to the right. That ‘‘tis the part of the pad you want rotating off of the panel.just vary the pressure to keep rotation going. You’ll get it!
    Thanks JustJesus, rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    I prop open panels when possible...
    Yes, exactly With a little thought you can figure out where any sling would go and protect those areas with additional towels. Keeping it out of tight spots like doorjambs (esp. between the trailing edge of the front fenders and the leading edge of the front doors) can save you a ton of work even if you`re doing those areas anyhow (dried polish is different from wet polish you`re actually working with). Even just polish dust (don`t overwork the product ) getting on things can cause more work.

BUT...I have some areas where I do tape just because of that same concern- if product does get/dry in there it`d take me forever to steam/etc. it out. And today`s products make it pretty quick and easy to do limited areas by hand.

Working "off the edge" is a good idea period IMO, even when merely washing or LSPing. Just a good habit to get into. Remember the reverse direction when using a Flex 3401

Fishing- Looking at your attached pic of how somebody taped that car, the tape at the top of the door sides around the lower window seal...if that`s taped properly it`ll prevent polish from getting into the seam but will not cover so much paint that you need to do back and address it. The more time you take doing the taping you need to do (and only *you* can say what that is), the less time you`ll spend overall.

FWIW, *I* look at that pic and think:

-I wouldn`t bother taping the edges of the wheelwells or the bottom of the doors unless I had a good reason to
    -I`d consider taping something in the doorhandle area similar to the tape at the bottom of the sideview, gotta do behind the handle by hand anyhow
    -I could go either way on the tape between the two doors; on/off in a moment while keeping polish out of the jamb vs. covering areas of concern with towels and having the doors open. It`d depend on the car/job in question, might even do it both ways

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you ALL for the great Help/Info I have a few of these things that I am going to try.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a mini polisher or a 3" setup. Could it be any benefit to polish the edge areas and small areas first. Leaving you a buffert zone with your larger polishing pads. And of coarse tape the sensetive trim and rubber seals before the mini polisher step. That way you only need to tape other edges on the panels that are rised parts. And save you a little time with the tapeing the door edges and other edges you get a buffert zone with.

Post Thanks / Like

Using Tape during Polishing.-img_2529.1.jpg

Using Tape during Polishing.-img_2541.1.jpg

That`s why I tape.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes JustJesus, Fishing, Older liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

There are always exceptions to the rules. On a classic like that or an exotic I would tape everything.
    Likes Older liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You don`t see a Pierce-Arrow on every street corner. :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information