Post Thanks / Like

Just used my GG15

Heavy little unit.
    Anyway. Man is that baby SMOOOOOOOOTH. HAD to try it out so quick spray detail of the wife’s explorer so I could slap a quick coat of 476s on the explorer....24min to apply letting her marinate now before I buff hahah

ANYWAY....
    the PC. I liked how just turn on and be done but figured the trigger lock is the griots answer..
    Now, am I a dummy? But that damn lock button seems super finnicky!! I couldn’t just press it and it be engaged. Some times I’d hit it over 10 times and couldn’t get it to stick 🤷`♂️
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2000 silver GT mustang..selling

2004 odyssey eXL-res- silver

2005 accord EXL- silver
    Likes WashRinseRepeat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just used my GG15

Glad you like it! The lock button is kinda finicky , you have to have the trigger all the way in. You’ll get used to it.

Post Thanks / Like

phatkid77- Glad you`re happy with it, especially since I kinda encouraged you to buy the thing. I bet you`ll find that you seldom lock the trigger anyhow, I basically never do.

Mike lambert- What`s your take on using the Trigger Lock? You do it much?
    Likes LEDetailng liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

All the time, lets you move your hands around and relax.
    Likes Stokdgs, JustJesus liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    All the time, lets you move your hands around and relax.
    Heh heh...I just have to laugh over how you and I are on different sides of the fence on *so* many polisher-related topics these days!

Interesting that you like the trigger lock...one reason I like "triggers" vs. "regular on/off switches" is that the moment I let go that cuts the power, no need to reposition anything except my index finger. Noting that my beloved Cyclos do *not* have triggers (and the rotaries I hate *do*), I was pretty surprised how much I prefer them.

But then it`s occurred to me that you and I are on different ends of the Polishing Spectrum, with 99.999% of mine being small spot-corrections with an emphasis on removing the least clear feasible, and even that is hardly *ever* necessary...these days I can go a year or more without touching a polisher. If I were still doing frequent, "normal" correction, let alone correcting whole vehicles, I might hop over to *your* side of the fence post haste!

Post Thanks / Like

I found the G15`s trigger lock to be easier to lock than the one on the Bigfoot.

I like to lock mine so I may position my hand "behind" the trigger. I have a smallish grip, and positioning my hand further back on the handle makes the job easier for me

Post Thanks / Like

You cannot touch a car with a machine , spot or totally correct a defect without removing paint. The idea is to minimize that as much as possible over the life of the car. You must be doing Cars that are very well cared for by knowledgeable openers if you only have to do spot correction? So I then assume you work by hand and use products that do not contain any abrasive? Just curious?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    You cannot touch a car with a machine , spot or totally correct a defect without removing paint. The idea is to minimize that as much as possible over the life of the car. You must be doing Cars that are very well cared for by knowledgeable openers if you only have to do spot correction? So I then assume you work by hand and use products that do not contain any abrasive? Just curious?
    Eh, bet this`ll show why I`m such an, uhm...outlier on this topic; I really did mean it that you and I are on opposite ends of the Correction Spectrum Maybe this`ll explain why you and I aren`t agreeing on some stuff; just different situations IMO:

These days I only do our vehicles, half of which I bought new, and *nobody nor nothing* touches the paint between washes (not even one fingerprint from a Tech). Even my "beaters" (scare-quotes maybe intentional..but this *is* Autopia) simply don`t need any correction any more. When I get something, either in-the-wrapper-new or used, I spend *forever* meticulously correcting it once, to the extent I believe safe, and then I`m set for many, many years. A little spot-correction if something happens, but never more than a very light Finishing Polish/AIO for whole-vehicle work.

IME marring just doesn`t happen if you pamper the vehicle and have "how to touch the paint" sorted out. And yeah, Dark Environment Inspections with Point-Source Illumination, these *are not* lightly marred up Well, except for the `93 Audi and that can only be fixed with a paintgun.

It`s been so long that I`d have to check my Detailing Log to see the last time I corrected a whole car, must`ve been the Crown Vic (think "used LE vehicle") back in `12.

But no, I never do anything significant by hand, not even on the Jag with it`s oh-so-compromised ss lacquer. Heh heh, now *that* is one car where I *DO* dial the polisher down to the speeds you advocate! My "good" painter didn`t take the care he should have and uncovered yet another factory blend-in by being stupid-aggressive (despite my admonitions...he knew it all).

And by the time the original owner sold me the `93 Audi her "detailer" had cut through various layers of the paint in numerous places..so that one just stays "shiny but marred". Interestingly, the exposed Pearl/Basecoat areas haven`t deteriorated appreciably in the 10 years I`ve had it..see how pampered they are?!?

You bring up a *GREAT* point about thinning the paint/clearcoat! Yes indeed, abrasives, well...they abrade...and I bet the approved removal levels had dropped even lower since the last TSB I read on the subject when Ford was saying to limit removal to 0.66mil over *the life of the vehicle*. That`s not much..and it seems most OEMs are using even less paint these days. You sure couldn`t take that much off any of my Japanese vehicles! Wish we stressed this topic more here at Autopia, it`s just SO easy (?too easy?) to take off clear these days, what with all the effective compounds we have now.

Heh heh, with the possible exception of Polisher Speed Settings, I bet that in most any situation you and I would actually do just about the the exact same thing. And if I`m doing a whole vehicle, I`ll probably use the single-speed Cyclo anyhow, which runs at about the speeds you advocate.

Sorry to go on, but I didn`t like that I might`ve come across as being way on the other side of the fence on this stuff and I did want to explain.

Thread Information