Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Does a mild, inexpensive, clingy wheel cleaner exist?

Right now my go-to wheel cleaner is the regular, green, Griots wheel cleaner. It isn`t overly strong and it cuts through the grime and break dust on all my vehicles, even when they are at their worst. I also really like the price and buy it by the gallon to make sure I never run out.

The only thing I don`t like about it is how quickly it runs off the surface I`m trying to clean. It`s a thin liquid, and I`ve found the cleaner has run off the face of the wheels before I`ve finished the barrels. On my car this is really true as the OZ wheels have quite a few spokes to work around. I`d love something thicker or gel-like that would cling to the surface better.

Looking around I didn`t find any wheel cleaners in the same price range which were thicker/gel like in nature and many of those I did see were a stronger/heavy duty version. If I want a wheel cleaner which clings am simply going to pay more and step up to something like the McKees 37 or new Poorboys wheel cleaner? Have I overlooked a brand/product somewhere?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does a mild, inexpensive, clingy wheel cleaner exist?

What about a foaming sprayer on the Griots? No first hand experience, just throwing it out there.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It`s not always about the initial price, but the price per use , how effective and will it satisfy you
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com
    Likes JustJesus, 65chevy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The foaming sprayer definitely could be a solution. As far as a different wheel cleaner I use McKee`s and it`s worked extremely well. It`s a thicker liquid so it does stay in place. Removes brake dust and has removed a few stains that none of the others would. As far as mild it`s not going to damage anything, you do want to make sure it doesn`t dry of the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

2nd on the Mckees. It`s been my go to wheel cleaner for a while now. I buy it by the case
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p

Post Thanks / Like

Griots HD wheel cleaner is mild IMO. It is thicker and tends to stay put.

Post Thanks / Like

Ever since I started waxing my wheels with 476s, I haven’t needed wheel cleaner. I just use a microfiber mitt with my regular wash solution,even using my rinseless when I’m doing that type of wash. I just wet them down first.

I used to use the Griot’s up until then.

Post Thanks / Like

Same here. Since I started Coating/Hydro2ing my wheels good old soap and water cleans them up easily. Before that I used Poorboys wheel cleaner or Sonax. I haven’t used it but I think P21 has a gel wheel cleaner.
    Likes Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If you want cheap and mild dilute an APC, although this doesn`t solve your runoff problem. Maybe spray the face again after you`ve scrubbed the barrels? Most diluted are cheap enough you don`t have to worry about being stingy. If that`s not good enough try the new poorboys, I like their stuff and want to see a review

Love OZ wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Look at the Nanoskin non-acid wheel cleaner. It works out to be less than $5/gallon. Good product, works well on cared-for wheels. I`ve gone thru a couple gallons - have been completely pleased.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

CG Diablo is a mild wheel cleaner that clings well. It never lived up to the hype of a heavy duty wheel cleaner like nearly all things CG, so it sat 80% full on my shelf for years. Then when I started coated my own cars` wheels and didn`t need to keep using the strong cleaners. So I started using the Diablo again for maintenance washings. Normally the car shampoo I`ve chosen to wash the cars is enough, but every now and then I will use the Diablo for a deeper clean without worrying about it degrading the coatings on the wheels. I`ve got half a gallon of the CG Citrus Sticky Gel sitting too. The last spray bottle I made up I put a little of the Sticky Gel in it also.

I will hardly ever throw something out. I`ll find a use for it someplace.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Quote Originally Posted by jatleson View Post
    What about a foaming sprayer on the Griots? No first hand experience, just throwing it out there.
    I hadn`t thought about going this route. I might give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    It`s not always about the initial price, but the price per use , how effective and will it satisfy you
    So very true. This has been happening to me a lot these days. Typically I`ll got cheap on something and be dissapointed. Once I try something better and slightly more costly I`m much happier...which leads to knowing ridicule from my wife because I didn`t go the better route the first time.

That alone makes me think I need to give your new acid-free wheel product a try.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    Griots HD wheel cleaner is mild IMO. It is thicker and tends to stay put.
    Good to know. When vendors start tossing around terms like "heavy duty", it makes me cautious, espicially when they already have a "milder" product in their line.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Same here. Since I started Coating/Hydro2ing my wheels good old soap and water cleans them up easily. Before that I used Poorboys wheel cleaner or Sonax. I haven’t used it but I think P21 has a gel wheel cleaner.
    My wheels are coated with CQuartz, but the other wheels in the family fleet are not and require a dedicated wheel cleaner to properly clean them. Even on my coated wheels, I`ve found a light spritzing of the wheel cleaner seems to cut through even a light dusting of German brake dust better than just wash soap.

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    CG Diablo is a mild wheel cleaner that clings well. It never lived up to the hype of a heavy duty wheel cleaner like nearly all things CG, so it sat 80% full on my shelf for years. Then when I started coated my own cars` wheels and didn`t need to keep using the strong cleaners. So I started using the Diablo again for maintenance washings.
    I came across Diablo while doing some research, but was a little leary of using CG products. I found people diluting it down to 1:3 or 1:4. Do you dilute, or are you going full strength right out of the bottle?
    Likes Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Since I am not trying to use it as a heavy duty cleaner I have been diluting it to about 1:6, but I did add about an oz. of the Sticky Gel last time. Creates a ton of foam.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    Ever since I started waxing my wheels with 476s, I haven’t needed wheel cleaner. I just use a microfiber mitt with my regular wash solution,even using my rinseless when I’m doing that type of wash. I just wet them down first.

I used to use the Griot’s up until then.

I could`ve posted that Although I use different LSPs that last longer. Even though some of my vehicles are considered problematic with regard to brake dust, the same dilution I use in the Foamguns (~7 oz. shampoo : ~121 oz. water = gallon of concentrate) cleans effectively while not stripping my LSP.

But of course that means getting all Autopian about all those family cars` wheels! Understand completely if that`s not feasible.

Post Thanks / Like

@ Accumulator, you use 7 oz soap to 121oz water in your foam gun.
    That`s the mix you put in the bottle?
    If you don`t mind me asking, what soap are you using.
    A few weeks ago I used Turtle Wax soap and got no foaming. Just trying to use it up since it`s on the shelf.
    I`m gonna try PB SS&S tomorrow if its not too hot. I do like foam though even though it`s probably not needed
    I bought a gas power washer again. 3100psi max
    Much better than the 1600psi electric I bought when my gas one died.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information