Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does a mild, inexpensive, clingy wheel cleaner exist?

ShawnF350- Ah, yeah....TW shampoo...I used *gallons and gallons* of that stuff before becoming a Shampoo Snob. STILL remember exactly what it smells like! Hey, it`s better than Westleys IMO.

These days I do indeed mix my foamgun concentrate to that 7:121 ratio. I use about 3.5 oz each of Griot`s and 3D Pink. I use that mix for cleaning wheels/wells/etc. and for use in the foamguns. With the foamguns, I generally use the two strongest settings (and no, I *never have* looked up what actual dilution ratio that is, simply don`t care).

BUT...remember that with my wash technique I`m not really after "foamy foam", but rather a sudsy output that will lubricate and flush the surface being washed. Yeah, I spray some on there first and let it dwell as a kind of pre-soak, but that`s not at all my primary intention. The real goal of the foamgun output is for the flushing/lubrication to get the dirt off *while I`m agitating the surface* and do so without any marring.

So what I want might not be at all right for somebody else. (Maybe just the two of us, Bill )

Funny about the pressure washers` output...I`ve had a lot of different ones over the years, and/but fortunately with my current LSPs [INSERT usual FK1000P rave] the [crappy] little 1600psi AR I got for Christmas years ago (cost my wife a whole $75) is absolutely perfect for pre-rinsing the vehicles; it gets the "big stuff" off just fine and doesn`t require much caution when used on fragile trim/etc. on the older ones (gee, they`re all "older" now). It`s not even close to potent enough for anything else (well, maybe the washbay floor), but it`s fine for that prewash. I bet it`s because of the LSP since I did indeed appreciate washing with more potent units in the past. No matter *how* filthy a vehicle is, or how many months since the last reLSPing, a quick rinsing off gets it looking nearly clean even before I begin the actual wash.
    Likes ShawnF350 liked this post
    Thanks ShawnF350 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Super Clean diluted to whatever ratio you want it to be at will be great, I`d think between 5:1 to 8:1 would work well for a mild wheel cleaner. At $0.07/oz and $8.97 per gallon from Walmart, you can`t get much cheaper either. At that price you don`t need to worry about it clinging, just spray the wheel again.

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody else have concerns about the Wheel Cleaner dripping/running/dwelling on the tires? Redoing the tires might be in the plan anyhow, but sometimes I`ve had the above issue make that part of the tire so different that I had to do more than usual to get a uniform appearance.

I can see a clingy/foamy Wheel Cleaner helping in that regard, but I`ve never pursued it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Anybody else have concerns about the Wheel Cleaner dripping/running/dwelling on the tires? Redoing the tires might be in the plan anyhow, but sometimes I`ve had the above issue make that part of the tire so different that I had to do more than usual to get a uniform appearance.

I can see a clingy/foamy Wheel Cleaner helping in that regard, but I`ve never pursued it.
    I`ve never had any discolor the tire, but that might be because I`m using milder cleaners. Whenever I wash the face of my wheels, I always finish with a swipe or two around the circumfrence of the tire face with the brush just to clean things up a bit. That, along with never letting it sit for more than a minute might help prevent any discoloration issues as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- I generally do the tires first, which is always a project requiring a few different things (brushes, mainly).

I first thought "Gee, I never let the shampoo dwell all that long on the wheels", but I guess it *is* on there a while since it can take a while to do the back sides/barrels.

It`s not that the tires get discolored really, just that their dressing isn`t as healthy/uniform where the shampoo was on it and I then have to fix that. I simply *hate* dressing tires (another job that requires a few different approaches per tire, along with either jacking up or moving the vehicle) and would prefer that nothing make it more necessary. I did finally find a dressing applicator that I like (well, "like" more than the others) but of course the refill pads are no longer available

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information