Post Thanks / Like

Newb product help

Can someone help with product suggestions? You guys helped me a while back and I`ve gotten some great help here. I have a griots polisher and lake country foam pads. I`m looking to try some different pads and find some product to help with paint correction. I am fairly new and have polished a few times on previous trucks. I have attached some photos of what I am trying to fix. I have the poor boys sample kit and was not happy with the results on my other truck. It could be the product or could be my level of experience. I plan on ordering all new product. I`m looking for a more permanent solution to correcting the paint rather than an all in one with fillers that temporarily make the paint look good until it washes out. If that make sense? Sorry for the rambling...what product and steps would you recommend for my paint?Screenshot_20180504-111619_Gallery.jpegScreenshot_20180504-111628_Gallery.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newb product help

You may need to get aggressive with the pads/ polish combination you are using by trying different test spots. If you do not have any Microfiber pads you may want to pick some up. I use the Meguiar`s microfiber pads and Lake Country MF pads with great success. In terms of compounds? What do you currently have in your arsenal?

Also, what is your wash process? If you are going to do a full correction just remember that you are removing clear coat. You want to make sure you are not introducing scratches/ swirls back in the paint but ensuring the proper maintenance washing is being completed. Sometimes an AIO is a better option for this as you still get a nice overall look but you may not remove all the defects and just hide them. Its a trade off you have to evaluate.

Post Thanks / Like

There`s hundreds of combos that will work for that level of correction, so getting specific is going to be a matter of personal experience and preference.

Products are so good these days, it`s all bout skill level.

If I were you, I`d look at the Autopia Polishing Chart (google it) and choose a polish from the left side, middle, and right side of that chart. Choose a trusted brand. Have a good range of pads on hand.
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

DEwalt- First, off-topic, not what was asked about, and probably borderline insulting....but here goes anyhow:

Unless it will be *kept* marring-free the focus is wrong. I don`t see many products being able to really conceal flaws of that magnitude efffectively so I can`t help but wonder if they were truly corrected to a decent extent but then it got marred up again. Those are pretty nasty IMO, and their nature makes me think "uh-oh, wash technique".

So IMO you oughta knock the marring down a bit and then work on not marring it up again lest you run out of clearcoat too soon.

OK, on-topic...

FWIW, Meguiar`s M101 (awfully aggressive stuff...) on a smallish (maybe 3-4" if necessary) MF Cutting Pad oughta do at least as much correction as is advisable, and then a minor follow-up with some Finishing Polish on a Polishing Pad should get it LSP-ready.

But...there are some Qs that only you can answer:

-Do you like diminishing or non-diminishing abrasives for those two steps?
    -Do you really want a product that doesn`t fill?
    -Do you like long or short work-times?
    -What do you use to strip Polishing Oils?
    -Do you really want a product that doesn`t fill?

What about the LSP? Does it shed dirt well enough that you can get it completely clean before you dry, and can quit scrubbing it with the motions reflected (heh heh, sorry...no pun intended ) by that marring?

Post Thanks / Like

I know the new Lake Country foam pads have just been redesigned to be thinner and those are always a good option.

As far as polishes go I would recommend the Sonax product line.

For a two step combo Sonax Cut Max and Sonax EX 04-06 are great. They are user friendly that leave a good result. Also virtually zero dusting from the compound. I’ve had zero dusting with the polish EX 04-06.

For a one step compounding polish Sonax Cut & Finish is great. It’s in the middle of the two polishes I listed. It’s correcting ability is pad dependent.

You can use the protection of your choice.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes SWETM, Marine Clerk liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I know the new Lake Country foam pads have just been redesigned to be thinner and those are always a good option.

As far as polishes go I would recommend the Menzerna product line.

For a two step combo Menzerna 400 and Menzerna 3500 are great. They are user friendly that leave a good result. Also virtually zero dusting from the compound. I’ve had zero dusting with the polish 3800.

For a one step compounding polish Menzerna 2500 is great. It’s in the middle of the two polishes I listed. It’s correcting ability is pad dependent.

You can use the protection of your choice.

yoda.jpg
    Likes Marine Clerk, Tc99m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good info, thank you. When I purchased the truck it showed signs of neglect. I have learned from the carwash thread that I added to the problem. I was visiting a very nice automatic car wash that I never thought would contribute to the scratching. I guess I will change to strictly hand washing.

How often would I need to apply an all in one product? I guess I was against it because I prefer not to use a DA frequently.

Post Thanks / Like

DEwalt- Unless you`re trying to get the AIO to do some correction (which they never do for me anyhow) you can use them by hand. The ones I use are all *VERY* user-friendly, quick and easy. Basically just a fancy/synthetic version of Cleaner Wax.

Eh, IMO something like Klasse All In One oughta be on the shelf of every serious Detailer. No, needn`t be *that* one, but something like that. KAIO is nice because it`s *so* easy to use, doesn`t stain trim and plays nice with all sorts of stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DEwalt View Post

How often would I need to apply an all in one product? I guess I was against it because I prefer not to use a DA frequently.

Since you don`t want to be constantly polishing your truck, I`d recommend going another route. Polish out all the marring using the products recommeded here, and then applying a good quality sealant which will last much longer than an AIO. From there, follow Accumulator`s advice to wash it carefully so you don`t create more swirls. If you feel the need, there are always some good quick detail sprays or spray sealants which will boost the shine and extend the life of the original sealant you applied.

Going this route should put you on a schedule you`ll only need to repeat twice a year.
    Likes DEwalt, The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Been busy with work and hadn`t been on the board much. Going to order product this week. Soooo which polishing product would you specifically recommend? Should I buy all of the Menzerna bottles of product or should I buy the kit like below and add to it? I`m not exactly sure how aggressive to start? If you could help me fill my cart I would appreciate it. Or does Auto Geek offer assistance?

Drew

Post Thanks / Like

DEwalt- I bet this isn`t close to the answer you want But...first I`d figure out what kind of abrasives you want (diminishing/non-diminishing abrasives). That big A-or-B choice will narrow it down and then you can see what specific products people *who like that kind of abrasive* prefer. E.g., if somebody hates diminishing abrasives, then I wouldn`t expect them to use/like/recommend Menzerna.

And yeah, there are knowledgeable/helpful people at Autogeek who can help, just remember than *any*, uhm....helpful Customer Service Associate...at any vendor, is in the business of separating you from your money and moving product out the door. Not being cynical or negative, just realistic. People who do/don`t have skin in the game might offer suggestions from different perspectives; maybe those suggestions will be the same, maybe not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    DEwalt- I bet this isn`t close to the answer you want But...first I`d figure out what kind of abrasives you want (diminishing/non-diminishing abrasives). That big A-or-B choice will narrow it down and then you can see what specific products people *who like that kind of abrasive* prefer. E.g., if somebody hates diminishing abrasives, then I wouldn`t expect them to use/like/recommend Menzerna.

And yeah, there are knowledgeable/helpful people at Autogeek who can help, just remember than *any*, uhm....helpful Customer Service Associate...at any vendor, is in the business of separating you from your money and moving product out the door. Not being cynical or negative, just realistic. People who do/don`t have skin in the game might offer suggestions from different perspectives; maybe those suggestions will be the same, maybe not.
    Thank you! I think I would like to try to polish using abrasive product and correct the issues one time instead of covering/hiding the issue every other time I wash it.

I couldnt agree more about dealing with sales people. I`m sure I`ll get answers and probably more product than I`ll need.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DEwalt View Post
    Been busy with work and hadn`t been on the board much. Going to order product this week. Soooo which polishing product would you specifically recommend? Should I buy all of the Menzerna bottles of product or should I buy the kit like below and add to it? I`m not exactly sure how aggressive to start? If you could help me fill my cart I would appreciate it. Or does Auto Geek offer assistance?

Drew

It comes back to how often you want to add protection and take the DA/hand to the paint. A one step/cleaner wax type product will save you time. But it will lack the longevity of the protection it leaves behind. So it would require frequent applications by hand or DA. Some choose to top the all in one with a longer lasting product to add a little bit more longevity. Hard to say how often to apply as there are many factors and how the vehicle is exposed to the environment. So it could range from 1 month to a few months.

Or you can polish (compound or polish depending on the test spot) and use a sealant or coating that will last longer.

Look into the Sonax polishes I mentioned in my previous post if you are looking for polishes to consider. They are nice polishes that are user friendly. Not to mention the lack of dusting and also not being as oily as Menzerna polishes. They are available in 8 oz bottles so you are not out a lot of money. Perhaps all you would need is Sonax Cut & Finish and then use your choice of protection. Hard to say without physically being there and doing a test spot. Sonax Polymer Net Shield is a nice sealant. Pair it with Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer and you will be set until you need to reapply or polish down the road with a less aggressive polish such as Sonax Ex 04-06. Or you can look at Meguiar`s Ultimate Fast Finish as another option for protection that is available locally.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Thanks DEwalt thanked for this post

Thread Information