Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

How bad is an automatic car wash?

I`m wondering how negative a single automatic car wash (often accompanied by a drying with sh*tty towels) is from time to time, especially on a daily driver (not a show car or garage queen, but still cared for).

I prefer to hand wash, with the occasional visit to the self-serve coin-op bay in the winter to blow off the dirt/salt. But, from time to time a dealer or other service may as a courtesy or necessity provide a "free" car wash. For example: I have a Krown rust protection treatment coming up, and they really want to get any over-spray etc off of the paint/tires/etc. with an automatic wash immediately after. How do you avoid these kinds of courtesy washes, and how bad are they going to be regarding swirl marks and etc. once in a while?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How bad is an automatic car wash?

OMG, don`t do it...
    Thanks 1500canoe thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just go to google and type in automatic car wash damage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1500canoe View Post
    I`m wondering how negative a single automatic car wash (often accompanied by a drying with sh*tty towels) is from time to time, especially on a daily driver (not a show car or garage queen, but still cared for).

I prefer to hand wash, with the occasional visit to the self-serve coin-op bay in the winter to blow off the dirt/salt. But, from time to time a dealer or other service may as a courtesy or necessity provide a "free" car wash. For example: I have a Krown rust protection treatment coming up, and they really want to get any over-spray etc off of the paint/tires/etc. with an automatic wash immediately after. How do you avoid these kinds of courtesy washes, and how bad are they going to be regarding swirl marks and etc. once in a while?

Thanks!
    In December when I dropped my car off at a very reputable body shop to get work done, my car was pretty swirl free. When I got it back, I saw that I needed to do a harty polish with M205 on a MF polishing pad follwed by M205 mix on a Green LC CCS. For this time of year, I can typically get away with a light polish of M205 on white LC CCS. Needless to say that automatic car washes can do some damage.

Post Thanks / Like

You need one of those please don`t wash hang tags for the car that autogeek sells
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes 06vrss liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

they don`t call them swirl-o-matics for nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    You need one of those please don`t wash hang tags for the car that autogeek sells
    My car sat outside for close to a month waiting for insurance, the auto wash was inevitable to properly fix the car.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a scale of 1-10. Where 10 is the worst a swirlAmatic is infinity

Don’t do it ever. My oldest vehicle is a 2009 and it’s never seen one.

Post Thanks / Like

ONE courtesy wash from the dealership
    Attached Images Attached Images
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail

Post Thanks / Like

I am not even happy with my current 2 bucket 2 mitts hand washes (with a power washer pre rinse) on my black Camaro. I am still getting wash induced marring. Unless you are in a light colored car (white, silver, light metallic tan or baby blue.......) you will get a lot of noticeable marring from each wash. On a light colored car you will get them also but they are harder to notice you will more notice that the car just seems duller and has less of a pop to it when its cleaned and waxed. I am planing to go to a hybrid 2 bucket/rinseless wash. I will use one wash bucket with grit guard with regular wash soap in it and a dry bucket for used towels and use 1-2 towels per panel like rinsless but with normal soap then toss those in dirty bucket. I dont think the dirt is rinsing out of my mitt well enough when I dunk it in my rinse bucket so I am just going to use 12-20 towels each wash (depending on the level of dirty the car is) and see if that reduces my wash induced marring. The Camaro is black and a garage queen and it shows any marring at all because its always clean. My daily driver truck is metallic gray and gets washed with a boars hair tri head brush, I am willing to deal with some level of swirls on it because its a work truck it does a lot of plowing and towing and hauling and does 25K miles a year.
    Likes VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    I am not even happy with my current 2 bucket 2 mitts hand washes (with a power washer pre rinse) on my black
    I hear ya on this one. My wife drives a Black Cadillac and wow. What a pain in the ... to wash. I have abandoned the two bucket system and now use one bucket. Then depending on how dirty it is, anywhere from 4 to 6 mitts to wash the beast. One time after a beach trip I used 8 mitts. Autopia has ruined me.

To the OP. The wife took the Cadillac through a "touchless wash" one time. It looked like, it got blasted by sand. Not sure if it was the wash or the dryer. But it wasn`t pretty.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite term is "tunnel of destruction".
    Jay
    Likes Stokdgs, tropicsteve liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I feel bad taking a rental through a carwash and would never take a Service Loaner through one as I believe the resulting damage would be inexcusable.

or people who don`t care about their vehicle`s cosmetics they have their points. Giving the Drying Crew a spray bottle of RW and your own MFs can help a *tiny* bit and I recommend that to people who aren`t gonna do things (the Autopian version of) right.

Note that it could only take *one* trip through such a carwash to instill marring too deep for safe removal.

A touchless with no-touch drying can be OK, though usually hard on LSP/etc. and sometimes harsh enough to do actual (even permanent) damage. Eh, my wife runs her A8 through one now and then while traveling...OK, whatever..I do the same with some Loaners and rentals. But we always take a peek to see how the Touchless impresses us, and we`re prepared to pass if anything looks iffy.

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely will be the guy demanding that they don`t wash my vehicles from now on. Also I`m going to get some hang tags and notes printed to put out prominently.

I have 1 vehicle that has pretty heavy swirl marks already, and a second that is swirl free and brand new. I wasn`t sure how many washes it would take to mar/swirl the paint - it sure sounds like 1 is enough!

Post Thanks / Like

1500Canoe- Good decision

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information