Post Thanks / Like

New car ceramic coating preperation question

I just bought a 2018 black honda accord and immediately put a coat of m21 sealant and collinite 845 on it. Ive since decided to put a ceramic coating on it and had some questions about the preperation.
    1.Whats the easiest way to strip the wax/sealant?
    2.car feels pretty slick, doni still need to clay and use iron x?
    3.it has a few spots w/micro swirls. Should i still polish the whole car or spot polish it and with what for soft black honda paint? HDpolish plus, menzerna 3800, sonax perfect finish? I want to cut the least amount of clear possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New car ceramic coating preperation question

Quote Originally Posted by Sushi5679 View Post
    I just bought a 2018 black honda accord and immediately put a coat of m21 sealant and collinite 845 on it. Ive since decided to put a ceramic coating on it and had some questions about the preperation.
    1.Whats the easiest way to strip the wax/sealant?
    2.car feels pretty slick, doni still need to clay and use iron x?
    3.it has a few spots w/micro swirls. Should i still polish the whole car or spot polish it and with what for soft black honda paint? HDpolish plus, menzerna 3800, sonax perfect finish? I want to cut the least amount of clear possible.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Sushi5679 -
    Welcome to the Forum !!
    Congrats on the nice car !
    1. Wash it with a good soap, then claybar, etc., the paint.
    2. Did it feel slick before you did any work to it and it was just washed and wiped off dry ??
    If it did not feel very "smooth" after your first wash, then it has embedded gunk in the paint that should be removed with clay and iron-x.
    3. If it has a few spots with micro swirls, there may be more that you cant see very well.
    Would you want to have all the paintwork pretty smooth, clear, and glossy, before you put a coating on it???

What is your experience level with the machine you have, in years ? How many vehicles have you corrected with that machine ?

What is your inventory of products, pads, and towels ?
    What size/s are the pads and how many of each do you have? Who made the pads ?

Do you have a dedicated paint cleaner to wipe down the paintwork right before you apply the Coating ? Which one do you have ?

Are you going to be doing correction and coating work inside a garage or outside ?

Do you have good lighting or can you get good lighting to help you see this work ?
    Dan F
    Likes WaxAddict, SGM2008 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice above.

I recently coated the horizontal surface of a new car that had previous Collinite 915 + Pete`s 53 and I was satisfied after a mild clay, then
    Menzerna 3800, spot fixes with 2500, then ample Eraser wipe downs. The point is: to be satisfied. You`re locking down the finish, possibly for a year or more, so just be sure you`re happy before the first swipe of coating.

This was my first coating experience for score, and while it was satisfying and came out dazzling, if I had to do it over again, I would have spent much more time choosing and positioning the lighting. I found it hard to see where the product had been, so I over-applied.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. The paint felt pretty slick before the sealant/wax application but i did feel at least 1 or 2 contaminants along the way. As of now, i can`t see any swirls unless i look under a led light. Should I still do a paint correction on those areas? I`m pretty new to paint correction, but I`ve done a ton of research and was able to correct a scratch I had after some trial and error. I first used CG`s V36/38 with a orange/white hexlogic pad but that left micro marring so I ended up using Sonax perfect finish to remove the marring. I don`t have a paint cleaner yet or a dedicated polish for the prep so I`m up for suggestions. I also will be doing the coating inside a garage with pretty good lighting.

Post Thanks / Like

I would clay, polish the entire vehicle, use the recommended products of the coating company you are using. The thing you need to remember is not only are you locking in defects but you will magnify them. And how do you know it’s soft paint without polishing? I’ve done 2 2017 Honda vehicles that reacted completely different when polishing. Same model and same assembly line.
    Likes SGM2008, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sonax Perfect Finish or HD Polish should get the job done. Be sure to do a test spot just in case these do not remove all the defects. These two won`t remove as much clear as you think.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Thread Information