Post Thanks / Like

Question about PPF removal to fix a deep scratch

Hi All

So I have a client who just contacted me about a scratch (more of a gash) that they tried to fix a year ago on the hood of their car.
    It was pretty deep down to the bare metal and they just touched it up lightly then had PPF film installed.
    They have asked me if I can fix the scratch. I want to be completely honest with the client in terms of the steps and removal of PPF etc..,

My thoughts are I will have to:

1. Completely remove the PPF film from the hood.
    2. Fill the scratch little by little. Wait to dry, apply more, wait to dry, etc till the touch up paint is slightly above the OEM paint.
    3. Sand to flatten, compound then Polish.
    4. Reapply PPF (someone else would have to do this as I do not do PPF installation). My question is can the same PPF film I removed be reapplied or will he have to get a entire new piece of PPF applied to the hood? I feel its the latter but I wanted to confirm.

The scratch really bothers him and he seems like a OCD fellow and while I don`t want to turn business away I also don`t want to steer him in the wrong direction if cost wise its not worth it just for this one scratch. I also mentioned it may look better than it does now but it may not be 100% perfect either.

Any thoughts? Anybody been in a similar situation and have some feedback on how to handle?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about PPF removal to fix a deep scratch

RaydiantDetail --
    I have never seen any clearbra able to be reapplied after the glue has dried.
    The whole thing has to come off, all the glue that stays on the paintwork has to come off..
    A heatgun used carefully will speed up taking the clearbra off, but you still have to be careful, and try to balance just enough heat to hopefully loosen the glue just enough to come off ON the back of the plastic and not stick to the paint if possible..
    Clearbra glue is very "sticky" and does not just wipe off by itself ever.. Need to use something that removes adhesives, etc.. then be careful where that stuff goes, so it doesn`t make more work for you..
    Fix anything that hurt anything if necessary..
    Work very patiently on the scratch..
    If its metallic paint, it will never match the pattern the metallic paint had when sprayed originally, and might not match the precise color tint either..
    If he agrees to this the vehicle may be out of service for a few days, because you have to schedule a clearbra guy to come out and reapply the piece again.. And it needs to dry a little bit before it goes outside in the rain or snow, etc...
    Too bad he didnt do this in the beginning before the original clearbra install; we would not be having this conversation..
    Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    RaydiantDetail --
    I have never seen any clearbra able to be reapplied after the glue has dried.
    The whole thing has to come off, all the glue that stays on the paintwork has to come off..
    A heatgun used carefully will speed up taking the clearbra off, but you still have to be careful, and try to balance just enough heat to hopefully loosen the glue just enough to come off ON the back of the plastic and not stick to the paint if possible..
    Clearbra glue is very "sticky" and does not just wipe off by itself ever.. Need to use something that removes adhesives, etc.. then be careful where that stuff goes, so it doesn`t make more work for you..
    Fix anything that hurt anything if necessary..
    Work very patiently on the scratch..
    If its metallic paint, it will never match the pattern the metallic paint had when sprayed originally, and might not match the precise color tint either..
    If he agrees to this the vehicle may be out of service for a few days, because you have to schedule a clearbra guy to come out and reapply the piece again.. And it needs to dry a little bit before it goes outside in the rain or snow, etc...
    Too bad he didnt do this in the beginning before the original clearbra install; we would not be having this conversation..
    Good luck !
    Dan F
    Thank you Dan!

Fantastic response and really appreciate it.

I have removed clear bra before that has been junk but never had to remove one that was pretty recent but that makes perfect sense that it`s going to need a new piece. That is what I let him know.

Looks like he still wants to go forward with it anyway lol I was honest and transparent with him that it would never be perfect but he just seems to want it better than it is right now.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Amigo !
    Might be a good idea if this does go through, to have him come look at the paint gash fix and approve it - before - you close it up again with the all new clear bra..
    And be sure to leave enough time for the paint correction place to dry and hopefully cure a little bit before it gets all soapy wet when they spray wash it, and then spray it down to get ready to place the new clear bra again..

And remind them to keep that spot very wet, so as they slide the new plastic piece around, and start using their tools to get all the water out and flatten the piece tight, they don`t accidently lift the paint off..

If you are doing it hourly, just removing all the glue if it`s really sticky and not happy with the removal will get you extra $$$, but as you already know, it is a painstaking, have to cover every square inch, job that has to be perfect..

Sometimes the clear bra guy will help insure you didn`t miss anything because then he will get the blame, etc..

If you have access to a good steamer with a good 1-3 hole tool, that may also help with removal..
    A long time ago, that was the rage and may still be. Experiment and find out what works best for you that day...
    Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

How bad is the scratch and how much of the film ~masks~ it

The next time the PPF is removed, there is a high chance the paint will come off. If you go the recourse, I would have said client sign on a liability if the the PPF is removed down the road

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to sound "unintelligent" (AKA, stupid, but we do not use the term "stupid" in this forum!), but does PPF stand for Protective Polymer (or Plastic) Film??

It sounds like the installation of clear bras/protective plastic film is a time-consuming process that requires some mechanical aptitude and experience to do this properly. Kind of like painless dent removal; you need the right tools and know-how to do it well. Hey, if it was easy, EVERYONE would do it.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

As Dan already mentioned, the film will have to be replaced and color match will be a concern, especially if it`s metallic. I would also let the owner know the risks involved with film removal as there is always the chance it may lift the paint. As far as the touch up goes, you should also know that if it`s not completely level with the paint there is a good chance it will leave a ring of air around it, which will be pretty noticeable.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie,
    Hope you guys are doing ok up there in freezer-land..
    Yes, PPF is clear bra material; in the world of everything abbreviated to fit all the smart phone screens, no one types out real words anymore, etc., just another way to describe it..

In my experiences with it, yes, one has to have the skills to know how to not only place cut out patterns on a vehicle, but the real art of taking a sheet of it and free hand cutting it to fit the shape perfectly, no ends showing on edges, perfectly flat, not a mark on it..
    You use razor blades to cut very closely to paintwork and not hit the paintwork, trim, etc..

if you combine paintless dent repair AND clear bra install/removal, etc., you will be a rich man for a lot less work than Detailing..

I have a great friend that just does paintless dent repair, and he went to a couple of schools for it first..

Another art thing that requires one to learn about metal and metal stretching, and how to get those little dings out perfectly flat without damaging the paintwork..

He always tries to get to the backside of the ding, so special long thin tools are involved, and a whole lot of patience, looking at a light that has to be especially angled on the dent to accurately see the progress being made..

I would imagine wherever there are lots of hailstorms, there are a lot of rich paintless dent repair guys..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Radiant Detail:
    Will (maybe "would", as a formal request) you post pictures of this process? (This question coming from someone who has NEVER posted a picture within this forum! Some hypocrite. Just sayin`.....)

Stokdgs:
    Yes, it`s frozen here in Wisconsin as we speak, if -5°F actual ambient temp is one`s definition of "cold" (It is!)
    This debate about detailing being an art-form or an acquired or natural skill is just that: debatable. The same could be said about PPF application or PDR. I think it is both, really.
    GB detailer

Thread Information