Post Thanks / Like

anyone ever had any problem with scotchguard leakage/spray on vinyl surface ?

does scotchguard(fabric/upholstery protectant) can ruin vinyl ?
    A detailler once told me that one should be careful with scotchguard with regards accidentally spraying some on vinyl surfaces. On the back of the bottle that i have right beside me it reads : do not use on non-fabric upholstery such as vinyl,leather , plastic, fibreglass.

If i recall correctly the guy(the detailler) told me that it could kinda melt or rather twist it out of shape, but i have no source aside from here to verify this statement. One thing is for sure, i did remember correctly about it not to be used or come in contact with vinyl.

P.S. the instruction clearly say to test the surafe for colorfastness.......has any of you ever had color fading with fabric guard ?

thanks

:bye

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can`t say for Scotchguard, but I have used 303 fabric treatment on the carpet, the cloth seats, the cloth door panels and the carpet floor mats of my 1998 Pontiac van with good results. No color problems at all. Seems to be easier to keep clean(?), who knows. The van has 117,000 on it so it does get some use.

Never got any on the vinyl, so I don`t know what happens there.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Judging from the heavy solvent smell from Scotch-Guard, I would think it could damage vinyl or plastics. I`m not a chemist, but don`t a lot of solvents melt plastics? And vinyl is very susceptible to drying out, which solvents accelerate.
    Having said that, I treated my interior with Scotch-Guard and had overspray on vinyl and plastic. I wiped it off immediately and followed with a vinyl protectant. There wasn`t any damage that I can tell. But, I had vinyl protectant on the surfaces already, and it did strip it quick.
    No, I`ve never had any color-fade on fabrics from Scotch-Guard.

Dave

Thread Information