Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Need advice big time now

Went outside to clean interior of ridgeline and looked down and said oh. Yellow paint in fender wells, mud flaps and on bottom of drivers door will I be able to get it off without sanding. Most aggressive I have is pc7424 yellow pad and Meguiars 105/205 I`m really pissed. Oh well if I can`t remove it I know where the body shop is. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I`ll try to send

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice big time now

Fishroes- Yikes, sorry to hear about that!

I`ve almost always been able to get laneline paint off without doing stuff like sanding, although it sometimes took a while (and note that "almost", never did get *all* of it off a plastic wheelwell liner). All depends on how well it`s adhering. My first try would be with clay. Can you pick it off with your fingernail?

With any luck, somebody here will have a good solution. I used FK1119 the last time I removed some (had been on the `93 Audi for a while) but AFAIK it`s off the market.

Post Thanks / Like

See if any of your auto parts stores carry TARMINATOR.
    https://www.autopia-carcare.com/stn-...l#.WdUQT7pFxjo

Plenty of it and a whole lot of old towels and elbow grease. The sooner you attack it the better chance you will have of getting it off.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

If it`s recent yellow road stripping/marking paint that splashed up while it was wet from your driving over it, you MIGHT be able to remove it by using an adhesive remover OR Goof-Off (NOT Goo-Gone) on a microfiber. If it`s paint transfer from a light scrape against a post like that at a gas station to protect the pumps, then sanding/polishing is your best recourse. It sounds like the former, since you mentioned the mud flaps. If it`s been there awhile and has cured, it will be difficult to remove. I assume your mud-flaps are plastic, so any solvent used to remove paint could also discolor your plastic. Just a warning.

Someone might suggest using a plastic razor blade to scrape it off. I think you may induce serious scuffing and scratching that will be too difficult to remove unless you have surgeon-like hands and ability. What ever you do, don`t use a metal scraper or metal razor-blade holder, despite being tempted to do so. Then again, it`s your vehicle.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly. Go straight to laquer thinner on a microfiber rag. Most effective way. Have had this many times.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t think it`s gonna be a problem on the bottom of door. It does come off with my fingernail. The mud flaps and wheelwells fingernail will not get it off how do u send a pic. I tried copying and pasting but it didn`t work. Dept of transportation needs to use a faster drying paint!

Post Thanks / Like

I have lacquer thinner and goof off. I will try those. Luckily Honda used screws on the flaps so I will be taking them off and cleaning u almost have to take the front flap off because it`s only 2" of clearance between tire and flapon the front. Something else I just noticed Where the front fender meets the inside of fender well u have that 1" there that`s painted color or truck yellow dots all over that and they aren`t coming off with fingernail. I forgot to put sealant there big difference so having sealant on your paint will protect it from yellow line paint that`s good to know

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that lacquer thinner is murder on any post-production paintwork (don`t think that`s a factor this time).

I never did any real damage to paint with plastic razor blades, but that`s just me.

PA DETAILER- Ah, yeah, I think that`s the thread I was thinking of, knew we`d discussed it before.

Fishroes- If worse comes to worst, would the mudflaps be all that bad to just replace? Dunno about the fender liners, but maybe they`ll clean up with the right stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

They would be easy to replace accumulator. I was able to get it all off the paint with purple clay bar and qd only because the surface was so slick. The plastics is going to be tough. Time to eat lunch now. Gonna vacuum it out after lunch and wipe everything down with Meguiars interior detailer I`ll tackle the plastics in a day or two. Playing golf the next 3 days got to enjoy these nice weather days in Virginia while they last. One thing about being retired, everyday is Saturday. Not trying to rub it in. I worked 38 years in a factory so I`ve done my time. I`ll let Yal know how the rest of it turned out any more options for the mud flaps and plastic wheel wells I`m all ears. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Fishroes- Ah, sounds like you`ve made some progress.

No worries about rubbing in the wonders of retirement, Accumulatorette and I have been retired for quite a while

Post Thanks / Like

Plastic razor blades and abc or wd40. DO Not use laquer thinner on modern paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Update: I was able to get the paint off of the mud flaps and wheelwells. I used purple degreaser. Had some 2" x 3" sponge/scotchbrite pads. Think they came from dollar store. Sprayed degreaser on pad and the rest is a whole lot of elbow grease. Turned out easier than ii had first thought. Now I know several ways to remove paint splatter thanks to u guys

Post Thanks / Like

OK - full disclaimer. I have not tried this product but have read good reviews on it: Road Paint Remover
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Fishroes- SO glad to hear you got it sorted out!

grungy- Yeah, yeah, that`s the stuff! I knew there was a product just for this one....I had it rattling around in the back of my mind but just couldn`t bring it up! Might`ve known TOL would be the source...they`re underappreciated IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information