Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Trim trim trim!!!

Trim is an area most of us probably don`t spend enough time on (except Accumulator!). It is also arguably one of the things that shows a car`s true age, more so than neglected paint. Lets share some tips on getting trim to look its best?

I like to use very shaggy microfiber when doing a rinseless wash or a lambswool mitt when going traiditional. This really lets me get into all the cracks and crevices to get the dirt out of the trim. I also like using a red shop towel to apply dressings. They don`t make a mess like foam pads and they don`t drink as much protectant as a microfiber.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trim trim trim!!!

These to apply trim product!

Griots Garage Contour Trim Applicators, Set of 2

And after using McKess 37 trim restorer, my 5 year old trim never looked better!

A morning with McKees trim restorer
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend listening to Chris West of Solution Finish on both of these podcast episodes. You will learn more about trim.

Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Trim is an area most of us probably don`t spend enough time on (except Accumulator!)..
    Heh heh, guess everybody here has already had enough of *my* take on this subject

I like to use very shaggy microfiber when doing a rinseless wash or a lambswool mitt when going traiditional. This really lets me get into all the cracks and crevices to get the dirt out of the trim
    Yes *yes* *YES*...dunno how anybody finds those muppet/dreadlock/noodle MFs any good.

I also like using a red shop towel to apply dressings.
    Not sufficiently Accumulator-proof as I`d worry about touching my paint with it. BUT...I might give that a try on areas where that`s not an issue, so glad you suggested it.

Post Thanks / Like

Some users in the facebook group rave about this stuff, getting years from it. If you read the descr. it makes sense.

https://www.flood.com/products/paint...paint-additive

Post Thanks / Like

Really liking polish angel black bond. Nice satin look and has been very durable. Never really liked solution finish.
    Likes 512detail, BadgerRivFan, DaveT435 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Really liking polish angel black bond. Nice satin look and has been very durable. Never really liked solution finish.
    im glad to hear that. ordering that this winter i think

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Very little needed, anything else is just wasting product

Post Thanks / Like

Keep`em coming guys, good stuff.

Another one of my time tested tips for cars with hammered trim, get some of those foam brushes for staining wood, spray them liberally with your favorite time stuff (I love 303 ) and paint the rubber and trim PRIOR to washing and let sit for a while. I usually do this, then wash wheels, then go back and wash the car. This method is particularly effective for all the stuff around windows. Post wash it is impossible to treat that stuff without smearing the windows.
    Likes ca.detailchick liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Post wash it is impossible to treat that stuff without smearing the windows.
    Guess the degree of difficulty depends on the vehicle, like how some of the glass and seals on my Audis are absolutely flush; those do take a little care. I usually hit mine with something (FastFinish/D156/OCW) at every wash, right before I do the glass. Then the challenge can be doing the glass without messing up the trim.

If trim is really hammered, I`m gonna be doing the full job anyhow so I never thought of pretreating it. The Ultima TTG+ cleans off pretty easily, never had any big trouble from the occasional oops.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve gotta give UTTG a try one of these days. I have a lot of faith in 303 though, it has proven very effective at keeping rubber nice. It does stain paint and glass with a film that is hard to remove if you let it dry though.

Post Thanks / Like

Dan- For some reason the 303 just never wowed me...bet I still have a lot left in the bottle I bought way back when. If you do try the TTG+ I`ll be very interested to hear what you think of it. The current version isn`t as swell as the original, but I still simply love it...another of those 100% satisfaction things that I always consider a pleasant surprise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Dan- For some reason the 303 just never wowed me...bet I still have a lot left in the bottle I bought way back when. If you do try the TTG+ I`ll be very interested to hear what you think of it. The current version isn`t as swell as the original, but I still simply love it...another of those 100% satisfaction things that I always consider a pleasant surprise.
    I`ve got the Wolfgang trim gaurd, I think it is similar to UTTG... and it just reminds me of a redneck using motor oil on trim. I can`t force myself to do it. 303 doesn`t wow me either, but the long term protection is there for me. Lookswise, its really so-so.

Post Thanks / Like

Dan- Heh heh heh Re the "motor oil on trim"

Wonder how the WG Trim Guard stuff really *does* compare to the UTTG+...can`t remember if anybody here has compared them or not but I think I can *almost* remember a thread that did...

Ya know, seriously...the UTTG+ is about as far as I can imagine from the "oil on trim look"...actually that`s exactly how *I* feel about the usual ERV Dressing approach (which I keep calling "Trim/Interior/Tire Slime" for just that reason). I`m pretty discerning with regard to my vehicles *NOT* looking, uhm...(thinking...trying to avoid terminology that might be offensive)...too blingy and I *never* get that "eh, too glossy" effect from the Ultima nor from when I maintain it with the D156/OCW/etc.

But I suppose that just like tires, all trim is *NOT* the same with regard to how it looks with [whatever] on it.

My bottle of 303 is so old the white plastic has yellowed from the shop`s fluorescent lights! IIRC, I bought that long stuff before moving to this house/shop back in 2000!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Dan- Heh heh heh Re the "motor oil on trim"

Wonder how the WG Trim Guard stuff really *does* compare to the UTTG+...can`t remember if anybody here has compared them or not but I think I can *almost* remember a thread that did...

Ya know, seriously...the UTTG+ is about as far as I can imagine from the "oil on trim look"...actually that`s exactly how *I* feel about the usual ERV Dressing approach (which I keep calling "Trim/Interior/Tire Slime" for just that reason). I`m pretty discerning with regard to my vehicles *NOT* looking, uhm...(thinking...trying to avoid terminology that might be offensive)...too blingy and I *never* get that "eh, too glossy" effect from the Ultima nor from when I maintain it with the D156/OCW/etc.

But I suppose that just like tires, all trim is *NOT* the same with regard to how it looks with [whatever] on it.

My bottle of 303 is so old the white plastic has yellowed from the shop`s fluorescent lights! IIRC, I bought that long stuff before moving to this house/shop back in 2000!
    Lol, I`m still using a batch of 303 from the late 90s. Bought a big jug at Overtons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information