Post Thanks / Like

Slighty OT, but what about stainless steel grills?

Ok, not exactly on topice, but does touch the perimiter of detailing. For an outside stainless steel grill - one that has the top insulated so it gets hot, but not grill temp hot - (upwards of 500) is there a car sealent that provides protection for the grill or is it just too hot for any type of protection - other than the grill cover?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Slighty OT, but what about stainless steel grills?

I`d be surprised if something held at those temp, might be worth trying a torture test. What I do know is that once the grill gets oxidized and bad looking, the pink 3m maroon scouring (7447) pads work really well to restore the look. IMO the green ones are too coarse for most SS, but the maroon are perfect. It`ll make an old grill look brand new, just be sure to follow the original lines/grain.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dan. But to be clear, I`m speaking of insulated grill tops where the temps on the cover get hot but nowhere near the temps of an uninsulated grill.

Post Thanks / Like

Here when I first read this thread topic headline, it was about aftermarket SS vehicle grills, not cooking grills!

I agree with Dan above, the grain(sometimes referred to as brushed) pattern in most appliance SS needs to be "followed" (IE, in the same direction as the grain lines)when wiping with any cleaning media.
    I would never use steel wool, even 0000 "grit", but 3M does have some scouring pads that supposedly do not "scratch" SS. As far as having something that will keep SS from tarnishing or oxidizing, I know of not that will withstand the high temps of a grill, even insulated tops. My suggest is to use some type of metal polish for stainless steel, but even that will burn off this first time the grill is used. Just do not use a chrome cleaner as they end to have abrasives that may scratch the SS.
    Most sheet metal SS used in appliances is a "cheaper" 400 series type SS, which is why it will tarnish or oxidize. One way to test for cheaper 400-series SS is to use a magnet on the sheet metal. If it is magnetic, it`s a low-grade (AKA cheap) SS. If it were a true 304 food grade or 316 surgical grade type, the cost would be prohibitive. Also, the gauge or thickness of the sheet metal can vary and the cost and quality of the appliance will reflect that. That "fancy" pressed/ embossed logos or names or channels or bent/pressed diamond surfaces in the sheet metal acts as stiffener ribbing and keeps thinner gauged sheet metal from deflecting, or "oil canning or drumming" as it is called in SS sheet metal manufacturing.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    Thanks Dan. But to be clear, I`m speaking of insulated grill tops where the temps on the cover get hot but nowhere near the temps of an uninsulated grill.
    Understood, I have an insulated one, on mine, at least, the insulation is to keep internal temperatures high, not keep the lid cool. Mine is hot enough to melt plastic when I`ve got it cooking steaks.

Post Thanks / Like

Slighty OT, but what about stainless steel grills?

Fk1000p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information