Post Thanks / Like

Prep before applying clear protective film

I purchased a clear protective film for my painted rear bumper to protect as I put things in and out of the trunk. Is there a certain way to prep for proper adhesion, or will a wipe down of 91% Isopropyl alcohol be adequate. I just detailed it with a layer of Klasse AIO followed by a layer of Four Star UPP. Thanks for any guidance on this.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Prep before applying clear protective film

I would at least do a super light polish to the area you are gonna put the film on before the wipe down as you don`t want any lsp under the film. You can reapply the lsp over tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I have some Klasse AIO I`ll hit it with, then put a sealant on top of the protector film.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a finishing polish? KAIO still leaves protection behind.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Civicclutch liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Since the Klasse won`t work, then I don`t believe I have what I need to properly prepare the surface. What would you guys suggest? Would DG601 be ok to use? The reason I ask is I`m thinking about purchasing DG601 and DG105 to put on my metallic pearl white car.

I guess it`s obvious I have a lot to learn about this stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars ultimate polish will work most auto part stores and Walmarts carry it as well as the best place autopia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Aren`t you supposed to have perfectly BARE paint, with nothing on it, for PPF install? Meg`s UP has those Trade Secret Oils that can drive me nuts...no IPA isn`t very effective on them IME.

If the surface is already marring-free, then I`d just use some Pre-paint Prep product. If not, I`d correct it to the extent desired and *then* strip whatever might be left on there with, again...the Pre-paint Prep product.

Quote Originally Posted by imported_Mathwiz
    I guess it`s obvious I have a lot to learn about this stuff.
    Glad you realized that, and REALLY glad you went ahead and posted it! IMO it speaks volumes as to your having the right mindset.

I wouldn`t rush into the PPF install, figure out everything and then it`s more likely to turn out OK.

OH, BTW...That UPP is what I use on my S8! Looks great and is nice and slick (as long as you reapply it frequently enough) and it`s sure user-friendly, but be warned....IME it provides virtually ZERO protection from etching, so I`d be careful to get any bugs/bird-bombs off it ASAP. I simply LOVE having it on the S8, used it on that one since UPP first came out, but sigh...I`ll eventually replace it because *every* road-trip results in etched paint from either bugs or birds and I can`t keep polishing away such damage or I`ll run out of clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Aren`t you supposed to have perfectly BARE paint, with nothing on it, for PPF install? Meg`s UP has those Trade Secret Oils that can drive me nuts...no IPA isn`t very effective on them IME.

If the surface is already marring-free, then I`d just use some Pre-paint Prep product. If not, I`d correct it to the extent desired and *then* strip whatever might be left on there with, again...the Pre-paint Prep product.

Glad you realized that, and REALLY glad you went ahead and posted it! IMO it speaks volumes as to your having the right mindset.

I wouldn`t rush into the PPF install, figure out everything and then it`s more likely to turn out OK.

OH, BTW...That UPP is what I use on my S8! Looks great and is nice and slick (as long as you reapply it frequently enough) and it`s sure user-friendly, but be warned....IME it provides virtually ZERO protection from etching, so I`d be careful to get any bugs/bird-bombs off it ASAP. I simply LOVE having it on the S8, used it on that one since UPP first came out, but sigh...I`ll eventually replace it because *every* road-trip results in etched paint from either bugs or birds and I can`t keep polishing away such damage or I`ll run out of clear.
    I wasn`t aware of the lack of protection from the UPP. I really would like to put something on my car that WILL provide protection from bird droppings and bugs (especially since I live in the South and there are plenty of both). I`ll read up on what my options are and I am open to suggestions, especially from someone with much experience such as yourself. I just want something that will bring out the metallic white pearl as it looks really good to me. I`m not quite sure if I want to tackle applying a coating which is something that I just found out about, even though they sound intriguing.

Concerning the prep for the bumper............I wonder if I wash it with Dawn dishwashing detergent a few times if that would remove all the protection?

Thread Information