Post Thanks / Like

Another coating question

As a first time coating user (McKee`s 37) I am not really sure what I should be looking for. I applied it as directed, although in some spots I feel I applied it too thin. Should the car have the feel of a freshly waxed car, for the life of the coating, be it one year, two years etc? My car beads water well, but after a couple weeks it doesn`t feel like it is freshly waxed.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another coating question

Thin is in. One thin coat is all that is necessary. If you wish you could apply a second coat to guarantee complete coverage. McKees is similar to PBL and you should see about 18 months of durability based on normal wear and tear. Be sure to wash with a soap that does not contain any wax so you do not clog up the pores of the coating. It should feel slick, like a towel will glide over the paint easily.
    Likes agtjamesb007 liked this post
    Thanks agtjamesb007 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

What about detailing spray? i have hard water and like to go over it with that after a wash. a towel would glide over it no problem when i wiped it down after applying it, but not as much now...

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t found that any coating feels like wax. I recommend using the coating makers maintenance products to get the most out of it.
    Likes agtjamesb007, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I never used Mckees - but I`m intimately familiar with PBL. Basically, it`s hard to use too much of the stuff. I`d prolly apply at least 2 coats...

You can apply a second coat after you wash the car with some soap that leaves nothing behind - like Rupes Detailing Soap or Mckees N 914...

The PBL stuff does not last in my environment. The beading is virtually done for me on the lower panels in 2 mos - and that`s after applying multiple coats.

Post Thanks / Like

The PBL stuff does not last in my environment. The beading is virtually done for me on the lower panels in 2 mos - and that`s after applying multiple coats.
    Thats too bad. Did you ever try another brand with greater success?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by agtjamesb007 View Post
    What about detailing spray? i have hard water and like to go over it with that after a wash. a towel would glide over it no problem when i wiped it down after applying it, but not as much now...
    I think McKees HydroBlue might be a good maintenance choice. Or Gyeon Cure cut 50/50 with distilled water (less streaking)? Kamikaze Overcoat?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Nick recommends their high gloss detail spray. I believe someone on autogeek mentioned it has some of the chemistry as the coating.

I will say that Nick will be releasing a new version of the coating, a new shampoo and a new maintenance product very soon.

Hydro Blue would be another fine choice.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes agtjamesb007 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t coated yet, but I decided that I will use PA Viking. Can use any polish and super easy to use. Great reviews from all who tried it. Looks fantastic too, as they say. I want a fool proof easy to use great looking and long lasting product. I tried the HG and wow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I think McKees HydroBlue might be a good maintenance choice. Or Gyeon Cure cut 50/50 with distilled water (less streaking)? Kamikaze Overcoat?

you had trouble with Cure streaking?

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    you had trouble with Cure streaking?
    A few times; some folks suggested cutting in 50-50 w/ H2O...I generally don`t use Cure for anything anymore but always feel the need to give it a shot after Mohs or Prime application. Likely just me...I kinda suck at `booster` application when sprayed directly on paint surface so now I always shoot on towel first or use while drying. Still, on black cars I seem to get streaks w/ Cure.

Post Thanks / Like

Another coating question

Thats too bad. Did you ever try another brand with greater success?
    Quite frankly, I`m pretty convinced most coatings are crap. I`ve tried the Original Opticoat & CarPros DLux...

The problem is, is that the beading never holds up on the lower panels for me like it does on the hood / roof. Now, you can`t tell me it`s "user error" - because it holds up awesome on the hood / roof and they were all prepped the same way.

Mebbe I`m just very critical about beading... But, stuff that`s said to last 3 years or a lifetime should almost be beading as good as day 1 after 4 mos or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post

Mebbe I`m just very critical about beading... But, stuff that`s said to last 3 years or a lifetime should almost be beading as good as day 1 after 4 mos or so.
    Don`t most pro coatings with a guarantee come with some kinda requirement to periodically return to installer for maintenance (whatever that may be)?

Myself, I don`t think coatings are a `fire and forget` proposition. They need correct maintenance and reinforcement thru the use of boosters which, I dunno, help protect the underlying coating?

Regardless, I like em mainly for the looks and self cleaning ability. Usually when considering longevity claims, I divide by 2, especially in winter climates.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you divide unlimited life by 2 ? Ie Optocoat 2.0 claimed unlimited life.

Thread Information