Post Thanks / Like

Demonstration: The Effect of a Water Spot Remover on a Hydrophobic Coating

About a week ago, I had a really unfortunate situation occur to me when I used a water spot remover on my hood. I used this specific water spot remover because I did not want to have to break out the hose and rinse the hood like one has to do when using CarPro Spotless. I read the instructions, but I did not pay close attention to the warnings which clearly state a booster may be required to restore the hydrophobic properties of the coating.

A good lesson was learned. See the thread here.

So, I am trying another water spot remover, and I shall not mention the name. But I specifically used it to see if and how it affects the hydrophobic properties of the coating. Here`s my experiment.

Automobile: 2013 Tesla Model S
    Base coating: Gyeon Mohs
    Topper: Polish Angel High Gloss

Methods
    1. I marked out a section of the hood with green painter`s tape. (This was actually somewhat frustrating since the tape didn`t stick to the hood!). Here`s the layout of the section relative to the rest of the hood.

2. For demonstration purposes, I sprayed this section and the surrounding section with distilled water to demonstrate the beading properties of the coating. The first picture is from the reference point. The second picture is a close-up of the section demonstrating the beading.

Reference point - beading

Close-up - beading

3. The section was dried with a plush MF towel. For demonstration purposes:

4. The section was then liberally sprayed with the water spot remover. As you can see, there is a little overspray, but the area was reasonably controlled as far as receiving the water spot remover.

5. As instructed, the water spot remover was immediately wiped away.

6. The hood was then resprayed with the distilled water. The first picture is the reference point. The second picture is the close-up. The third and fourth pictures are outside the application area with unadulterated Polish Angel High Gloss.

Reference point - beading

Close-up - irregular beading

Close-up - tight beads outside of the application area

Close-up - irregular beads near application area; tight beads farther away from the application area

7. The tape is removed.

8. Here is a video of the sheeting test around the area in question. As you can see, the sheeting of water is pretty good outside of the area in question, but when the water hits the area that was tested with the water spot remover, there is some obvious changes in the behavior. It`s not the end of the world, but it is clearly different.

9. The test area and native areas are dried. For this, I used a plush MF towel, unfolded it and dragged it across the surface of the hood. It was not buffed or dried in circular motions, etc. No patting dry. Just dragged across the hood. You can see the outlined area where the water spot remover was located. In this instance, it was harder to remove water from the test area.

10. The hood is resprayed with distilled water. Notice the clear difference in the sectioned-off area where the water spot remover was applied and the area where there was no water spot remover. This is due to the more uniform beading outside the test area and the irregular beading within the test area.

Discussion
    The area was then cleaned with N914 and a prep solution was utilized. The lower section of the hood was topped with Polish Angel High Gloss to restore the hydrophobic properties. Water spot removers are a good thing. They take the work out of removing water spots that were not removed with washing -- either conventional two bucket washes, rinseless washes or waterless washes. They are the next best thing before polishing. However, it is clear from my trial and error (mostly error) with Gyeon Water Spot Remover and this present one that water spot removers do affect the hydrophobic properties of the underlying coating. Based on my mishap previously and my experiment today, boosting that area of the coating is necessary to restore the full hydrophobic properties. I say this since with the Gyeon water spot remover, I tried washing a couple of times. I tried claying. I tried using a decon. I tried everything short of polishing. The only thing that restored the hydrophobicity was laying down additional coating material.

Now, I am not saying the water spot removers actually remove the coating, but they do something to it that requires one to boost the coating. The manufacturers are good to warn us about this. Perhaps this is better than having to polish and then apply the coating, which is more time consuming.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | 2015 Toyota Highlander
    Likes 512detail, Ronkh, trashmanssd, RMD, HCF and 1 others liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh, trashmanssd, RaydiantDetail, rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Demonstration: The Effect of a Water Spot Remover on a Hydrophobic Coating

thanks for the testing. sorry about your first issue. I have a few bottles of different brands water spot removers and I still like the gyeon one the best because I can use it and then follow up with RW or even Spray and Wipe and then go about my business

I`m no scientist but I think it kills the beading because the water spot etches into the hydrophobic layer of the coating but the general silica (or whatever) substrate is still there bonded to the paint.

Brandt K.
    Likes kevincwelch liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cool demo.

Thank you!
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bottle of water spot remover (cant remember what brand) but I am to afraid to try it from all the stories I have heard.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for taking the time to do this and share it with everyone here! Kudos! (and quite the `find` and results of your testing...)
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I have a bottle of Gyeon water spot remover, maybe I`ll just use it on glass, afraid to try it on my car now that I just put ISM an topped with overcoat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HCF View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to do this. I have a bottle of Gyeon water spot remover, maybe I`ll just use it on glass, afraid to try it on my car now that I just put ISM an topped with overcoat.
    Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    I have a bottle of water spot remover (cant remember what brand) but I am to afraid to try it from all the stories I have heard.
    I probably wouldn`t use them on fresh coatings; I had pretty good longevity using Mohs with various toppers -- I avoided a lot of water spotting, and I even went a week or more sometimes after rainstorms. I`m not sure how much Moonlight contributed to problems as suggested in the original post last week, but spotting seems to be an issue with Moonlight. I think it`s going to be a threshold issue for me in the future: are the water spots bad enough for me to apply a water spot remover and then need to clean, prep and reapply something like Polish Angel or Overcoat, etc.?

You know how I HATE to top my car with all these great coatings!!!!

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | 2015 Toyota Highlander
    Likes trashmanssd, Ronkh liked this post

Thread Information