Post Thanks / Like

Chemical Additive to increase Foam/Suds

Noob looking for some advice, does anyone know of a chemical additive that could be used with any car soap to increase foam and lather properties? I’ve done a little research and I think what I’m looking for is Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate in powder form. Can anyone confirm or suggest a different product that I could use that might help. If you’re wondering why, I recently purchased a MTM Hydro PF22 foam cannon after using it with several car soaps specifically made for this type of application and I’m not getting great result. I’ve tried troubleshooting everything I can think of, I’ve contacted MTM and Hosty for advice and got nowhere. At the heart of the issue is that I’m not getting decent amount of foam with my pressure washer/ foam cannon setup. The only way I’m getting a decent application is with the chemical nozzle set to max or if I increasing the soap to water ration in the mix bottle. But this can’t be right unless the soap manufactures are incorrectly claiming 1-2 oz. per vehicle application. I`m currently using a 2-3 oz. mixture. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chemical Additive to increase Foam/Suds

A couple tips that might help - Are you shaking up the cannon container before using it to distribute the soap? Are you using warm water in the cannon container? I have hard water here, really hard water. My outside water is not on the softener, I bring my foam cannon jug inside to fill it up with warm softened water. It makes a night and day difference. If you don`t have a water softener you could always fill up the jug with distilled water and soap mixture. I am not sure where you are from, but when I go to places with hard water and take a shower I get no suds when washing my hair. Its the same concept with a foam cannon. I also probably tend to use closer to 5 oz, that is just my preference though. I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chemical additive to increase Foam/Suds?

You have very hard water. A water filter may be the answer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Threads have been merged, only need to post topic once. Thanks.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chemical additive to increase Foam/Suds?

Can you tell us which shampoos you have tried? I literally can make really nice foam with any of the shampoos I`ve used using a pressure washer and an MTM. My water is moderately hard.

Some of the products made specifically for this purpose will foam quite nicely even out of a foam gun but they won`t match what they can do in a cannon. I use 3.2 oz. with Mckee`s, Poorboy`s and a variety of other products in my cannon. I don`t really know or care what the manufacturer recommends the right mix to be.

This mix works for me with a half dozen different shampoos. Oddly, one full foam cannon is just about the right amount for me to cover an SUV or short bed PickUp including under the hood.

I have learned that just because you can make a mountain of foam doesn`t mean the lubricity is great. An example is Meguiars OTC Gold Shampoo. It will foam just fine but it isn`t as slick as McKee`s for instance.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes richy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou all for responses but the issue isn’t hard water I live in Oakland Californiaand I already tested the water last week. As for the soaps I’ve tried severalfrom Chemical Guys, Mr. Pink, Honeydew Snow Foam and Citrus Wash.I’ve also tired Adam`s Car Wash Shampoo and some old Maguire’s Gold Shampoo. I’vetired mixing with both warm and cold water thoroughly but the result leave methinking something is off. Some of youhave indicated you are using more soap then then 1-2 oz. but are you also usingthe chemical dispersion nozzle on your cannon at max?

Post Thanks / Like

No where close to wide open for me. Just checked mine and it`s just under a half of a turn from being fully closed. Spray fan pattern at about 2/3 open. Of course you can adjust either one of these on the fly. I`d think the Adams and the Honeydew Snow Foam would foam up a storm for you, even with all the positive comments I`ve never tried the Pink. What is the pressure and volume of your pressure washer?

If your foam cannon is one you`ve used for a while could it be that your filter is plugged. Autopia Car-Care and AutoGeek both sell the filters in 3 packs. I always run a couple of containers of straight water through mine after each use. I`ve had it for quite a while and never needed a filter change but others have seen the need. I have some on hand but haven`t used them.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used about 1/2 oz of mckeeys n914 in my foam cannon with great results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I know I get much better foam now with my new Karcher than I did with my old, less powerful one.

Thread Information