Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Not able to get Poorboy`s Bug Squash in time ...will this work??

I tried to order the PB Bug Squash, but an unexpected expense came up and killed that idea. I have heard that putting fabric softener sheets in a bottle with warm/hot water will create a solution that will soften stuck on bugs and make them easier to remove.

So I was wondering if I made a solution of say a cap full of liquid fabric softener in a 32 oz bottle with hot water would that works as a bug remover, I mean if wet fabric softener sheets work, why wouldn`t a stronger liquid solution work?

I am supposed to be going back to the "bug zone" to detail a few cars again tomorrow and am looking for some opinions. After this, maybe I`ll be able to buy the actual Bug Squash with the profits from tomorrow`s details.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not able to get Poorboy`s Bug Squash in time ...will this work??

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I tried to order the PB Bug Squash, but an unexpected expense came up and killed that idea. I have heard that putting fabric softener sheets in a bottle with warm/hot water will create a solution that will soften stuck on bugs and make them easier to remove.

So I was wondering if I made a solution of say a cap full of liquid fabric softener in a 32 oz bottle with hot water would that works as a bug remover, I mean if wet fabric softener sheets work, why wouldn`t a stronger liquid solution work?

I am supposed to be going back to the "bug zone" to detail a few cars again tomorrow and am looking for some opinions. After this, maybe I`ll be able to buy the actual Bug Squash with the profits from tomorrow`s details.
    I`ve never heard of that one, interesting. Maybe try/bring a 1:14 solution of carsoap w/ a splash of degreaser for backup? Stoners Tarminator is an option, but you`d have to re-lsp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    I`ve never heard of that one, interesting. Maybe try/bring a 1:14 solution of carsoap w/ a splash of degreaser for backup? Stoners Tarminator is an option, but you`d have to re-lsp.
    I`d already planned on reapplying a sealant to the area, so no big deal.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

man I would just go buy a $5 bottle of Turtle wax bug and tar remover. that stuff works surprisingly well for me and I`ve had to use it in a pinch when I used to do mobile and forgot to bring my bug squash...it`s definitely not as good as bug squash but its a pretty decent product

also, for the future you should really consider buying a few Poorboys Bug Mesh Towels, a snice soapy bucket of Super Slick and Suds and one of those towels and you find yourself not really needing Bug Squash as much.

Brandt K.
    Likes Ronkh, JustJesus liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

if you access to hot water, then take some cotton towels and get them nice and hot and lay them on the bugs .. this should at least loosen them to the point that they`ll come off easier
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com
    Likes mc2hill, mikejames liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    man I would just go buy a $5 bottle of Turtle wax bug and tar remover. that stuff works surprisingly well for me and I`ve had to use it in a pinch when I used to do mobile and forgot to bring my bug squash...it`s definitely not as good as bug squash but its a pretty decent product

also, for the future you should really consider buying a few Poorboys Bug Mesh Towels, a snice soapy bucket of Super Slick and Suds and one of those towels and you find yourself not really needing Bug Squash as much.
    ALL of the cars I`m called to detail have been neglected ... severely. No wax of any kind since the dealer applied slop and no regular washing and certainly no "in depth" washing to remove stuck bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    if you access to hot water, then take some cotton towels and get them nice and hot and lay them on the bugs .. this should at least loosen them to the point that they`ll come off easier
    Nope, no hot water ... not enough to wash a car with anyway. I was so sure that I`d have the PBBS by now that I didn`t think ahead to what if I didn`t have it, that`s why I researched and found the wet fabric softener sheet trick ... I`d rather have the Poorboy`s.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Likes Poorboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

ALL of the cars I`m called to detail have been neglected ... severely. No wax of any kind since the dealer applied slop and no regular washing and certainly no "in depth" washing to remove stuck bugs.

Nope, no hot water ... not enough to wash a car with anyway. I was so sure that I`d have the PBBS by now that I didn`t think ahead to what if I didn`t have it, that`s why I researched and found the wet fabric softener sheet trick ... I`d rather have the Poorboy`s.
    too bad you`re not closer.. I have two gallons unopened and one gallon already mixed RTU

maybe try to go to walmart or wherever and get one of those little bug mesh sponges, they aren`t the best but probably better than nothing

Brandt K.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

ok i know you can get some winter window washing fluid in Ohio (meant for windshield wiper reservoir) this can work but don`t let it dry on paint as it sometime can stain (usually light ss colors)
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    too bad you`re not closer.. I have two gallons unopened and one gallon already mixed RTU

maybe try to go to walmart or wherever and get one of those little bug mesh sponges, they aren`t the best but probably better than nothing
    Already did

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    ok i know you can get some winter window washing fluid in Ohio (meant for windshield wiper reservoir) this can work but don`t let it dry on paint as it sometime can stain (usually light ss colors)
    I do have some "special" `bug cleaning` washer fluid in the garage, maybe I`ll try that too.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    This as been a problem for you for some time. When funds allow, get some Griots bug barricade. First of it`s kind product.

Griots Garage Bug Barricade 22oz.
    sounds like an interesting product but I don`t see how that helps him remove the bugs... unless you were meaning for his own personal use

This would be cool to have if you did maintenance washes on clients vehicles every two weeks or so.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. I see DON needs something now. Here is info on his idea.......

https://youtu.be/P2AGzJjJViI
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if it`s the texture of the sheet that`s removing the bugs ????

Post Thanks / Like

512Detail- At one time the TW Bug & Tar was, *apparently*, a bit abrasive. Is it still like that or is it just a straight solvent as one might reasonably expect?

I still remember the TW`s can and the scent of that stuff....and just FWIW, mine (from way back the late `70s!) wasn`t abrasive at all, just a regular solvent that worked fine. But I clearly remember hearing dire warnings from somebody here (whose name I forget, but I did consider him 100% reliable) about the abrasiveness.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I`ve seen that video. That`s what gave me the idea of using diluted liquid fabric softener and a microfiber cloth (or bug sponge). Because of course, we have a combination washer/dryer that performs both tasks in a single cycle and softener sheets are useless in this machine (plus, the wife prefers liquid fabric softener over the dryer sheets).
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

I had good results using a waterless wash (happened to be Griots) as a presoak. Let it dwell while getting the supplies, buckets, hoses ready then rinse the areas down with a strong stream of water or pressure washer.

Granted it was on my car, but it hadn`t be waxed since last fall (Collinite 845) and was after several long road trips/rain storms. Just need something to penetrate and soften the bugs so they can easily be rinsed or wiped away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information