Post Thanks / Like

Removing old LSP. IPA vs wax & grease remover?

I`m looking to strip my old coat of Rejex to move on with FK1000p. I have two easy options 100% or watered down IPA or wax & grease remover which looks to be mostly naphtha.

Would you recommend these as safe on a clear coat? Just beats having to trackdown some exotic product.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing old LSP. IPA vs wax & grease remover?

Don`t use the IPA undiluted, it will wrinkle the clear coat. Personally, I spray down with a bit of APC at the start of my wash, and finish with an IPA solution wipedown after drying the car and applying the new wax.

Post Thanks / Like

There are some good arguments that IPA doesn`t strip most LSPs *AT ALL*, some guys used to use it to "refresh" Collinite after ONRing it (back before ONR became Collinite-friendly).

I`d use something like ValuGard`s "A", or go over the vehicle with a paint-cleaner or AIO.

Or just apply the new stuff over top of whatever`s on there already.

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, if you use a AIO, you`ve got a bit of the same problem -- the AIO will leave behind something other than bare paint, so the new LSP would be sitting on top of that.

Unless you are looking to apply a paint coating, I would not worry about removing the previous LSP completely. I actually rather like the idea of doing a polishing with an AIO like 3D HD Speed in preparation for a new LSP -- it would remove any swirls, scratches, oxidization and contamination that may be there, as well as the previous LSP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by `PRND[S
    ;2110377`]IMHO, if you use a AIO, you`ve got a bit of the same problem -- the AIO will leave behind something other than bare paint, so the new LSP would be sitting on top of that...
    Which works fine for me

Regarding FK1000P specifically, I was kinda surprised how it played nice with underlying products, never tried it over anything really oily (e.g., Meguair`s Pure Polishes) though.

..Unless you are looking to apply a paint coating, I would not worry about removing the previous LSP completely. I actually rather like the idea of doing a polishing with an AIO like 3D HD Speed in preparation for a new LSP...
    Right. As long as it seems OK it probably is (some LSPs don`t die all that "cleanly" though, and every now and then even I like to do some kind of pre-LSP prep).

..it would remove any swirls, scratches, oxidization and contamination that may be there, as well as the previous LSP.
    Ya know... I can`t recall *EVER* having any AIO remove any marring, not once. Never tried Speed, but I have tried a whole lotta others.

Thread Information