Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    VTEC <3
    Post Thanks / Like

Waxing VS Sealent

Alright guys! I need some help, I`m so confused with this whole wax or sealent thing. I just have some questions and hopefully someone can help me![/FONT][/COLOR]

Wax VS Sealent... I don`t get it, do they have the same UV protection? Is it just that Wax doesn`t last as long?? I`m so confused... could someone just explain to this newbie what they both do and their differences?

secondly, I just did some wetsanding on my car, now the results came our AWESOME but my only issue is I`m curious if I should use something for extra protection. Right now I`ve got some Wax on there but from what I`ve read that won`t help with UV rays, what should I use then? Ive got a beautiful 2006 Honda Accord V6 which I plan to give another 5 years of life!!!!!

Thanks for for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Waxing VS Sealent

To a great extent it`s just marketing/industry jargon (where words mean whatever whomever wants them to mean).

Generally, sealants are just synthetic (or mostly so) waxes. Some do cross-link/cure/etc. in ways that natural waxes don`t. Some waxes outlast/out-protect some sealants and vice-versa. It`s so inconsistent that, as you can tell, I`ve become kinda cynical about the whole topic.

For UV protection Optimum`s OCW (Optimum Car Wax) is known to be good. It`s called a "wax" though. Some waxes like Collinite and Pinnacle Souveran did *NOT* protect against UV for me, but I still hesitate to generalize.

Ive got a beautiful 2006 Honda Accord V6 which I plan to give another 5 years of life!!!!!
    Five years?!? Heh heh, I still consider a vehicle "new-to-me" after only five You could probably keep that Accord nice for the next 25+ if you go about it right. So man-oh-man be careful washing it so you don`t instill new marring (sorry...couldn`t resist, it`s my pet peeve).
    Likes Mary B, Boden, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Normally a sealant will last longer than a wax. Let me confuse you further, many waxes are actually sealants. And to further confuse you some are a mixture of carnauba (wax) and a sealant. UV protection will vary by manufacturer. Most of us around here speak of waxes as something with a carnauba content although manufacturers have no conscience when labeling a sealant a wax. So read the labels and the reviews to get something that fits your needs.
    Likes Mary B, aaron1085, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Shall I throw in a third option called coatings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

just as I suggested in the your other thread...I`d recommend looking into an easy to apply paint coating
    since you wetsanded and we`re not sure how much clear is left, it`d be a good idea to add a sacrificial coating layer which will also protect better than wax or sealant (or should at least)

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    Shall I throw in a third option called coatings
    coatings are for quitters.
    Likes JustJesus, Ronkh, Mary B, nickclark08, davidc and 3 others liked this post
    Thanks Mary B, glfnaz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    Well as hondas have soft paint and as Brandt mentioned we don`t know how much clear has been removed, and he wants to keep for several more years my suggestion is to do a coating like McKees or pinnacle black label to start with

Post Thanks / Like

lol..coatings are good base layers for waxes and sealant play

Brandt K.
    Likes Ronkh, tropicsteve liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I needed a good chuckle. Thanks!
    Likes Mary B liked this post
    Thanks WaxAddict thanked for this post

VTEC <3
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks for all the help guys! I`ve been using megs wax... do u think that`s doing any good right now for UV protection? Also, I will be buying sealent this weekend to use. Is it able to go over the wax I have on or do I need to strip the wax first

Post Thanks / Like

Waxing VS Sealent

Make it easy for you:

Wax = paste

Sealant = liquid

Really, that`s as good as a definition and makes about as much sense as any.... What`s the difference between a cheeseburger and a cheese steak after you eat it? Not much.

Properties and factors of specific waxes & sealants depend more on the product than the classification.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VHONDAV6 View Post
    Ok thanks for all the help guys! I`ve been using megs wax... do u think that`s doing any good right now for UV protection? Also, I will be buying sealent this weekend to use. Is it able to go over the wax I have on or do I need to strip the wax first
    Depends on which one and what you want--keep in mind that Megs Ultimate Liquid Wax and Ultimate Paste Wax are both sealants (and pretty good ones at that). You really should give a sealant a clean surface to bond to the paint. Only way to remove the existing LSP is with a mild polish or paint cleansing lotion.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson
    Thanks Civicclutch thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Make it easy for you:

Wax = paste

Sealant = liquid

Really, that`s as good as a definition and makes about as much sense as any.... What`s the difference between a cheeseburger and a cheese steak after you eat it? Not much.

Properties and factors of specific waxes & sealants depend more on the product than the classification.
    Not sure about this one. There are definitely paste sealants, e.g. FK1000 (although the mfg calls it a wax, which adds to the confusion the OP references), and there are liquid spray waxes like WG Fuzion.

For a literal definition how about wax equals a natural plant based ingredient, typically carnuba, and sealants are man made synthetic products. That`s the easy part. Many products contain a mix or blend of these, regardless of what the bottle or tin says on it.

I realize this response probably doesn`t help the OP, but the question itself shows that marketing doesn`t conform to easy or standard definitions. Ease of use, longevity, price, and looks are the basic criteria, and every product on offer can be evaluated by its strengths or weaknesses in each category. Find the one that ticks the boxes that are important to you for what you need. Every product is different, which gives us all an excuse to buy a lot of them to find out how they fit our respective needs. At least that`s how I justify it. YMMV.
    Likes Mary B, VitreousHumor, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMD View Post
    Not sure about this one. There are definitely paste sealants, e.g. FK1000 (although the mfg calls it a wax, which adds to the confusion the OP references), and there are liquid spray waxes like WG Fuzion.

For a literal definition how about wax equals a natural plant based ingredient, typically carnuba, and sealants are man made synthetic products. That`s the easy part. Many products contain a mix or blend of these, regardless of what the bottle or tin says on it.

I realize this response probably doesn`t help the OP, but the question itself shows that marketing doesn`t conform to easy or standard definitions. Ease of use, longevity, price, and looks are the basic criteria, and every product on offer can be evaluated by its strengths or weaknesses in each category. Find the one that ticks the boxes that are important to you for what you need. Every product is different, which gives us all an excuse to buy a lot of them to find out how they fit our respective needs. At least that`s how I justify it. YMMV.
    I know.. lol.

If you get a liquid sealant and add a single drop of carnauba to it - suddenly it becomes a wax. Lol.
    Likes glfnaz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think average Jane or joe consumer thinks wax when they go to the store for protection. So whether it`s actual wax or synthetic they want to see wax on the package

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information