Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Waxing VS Sealent

VHONDAV6- Heh heh, it`s easy for this stuff to get out of hand...at least if you take this whole Autopian thing to heart.

Actually, IMO it *can* be quite easy. I hardly spend any time/money/effort on detailing these days, at least not compared to what I used to put into it.

Prep it, LSP it with something durable, wash it and keep the interior clean, redo the LSP as needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Waxing VS Sealent

Love my truck. I have a work car, so driving is limited to around town and short family trips. That said, it`s pretty mint for 2 years of ownership. I`ve waxed and hand washed nearly 99% of the time.

I`m wondering if I should use another "sealant" like Jet Seal (Chemical guy`s) or just keep on with the Butter Wet Wax (Chemical guy`s) ever few washes and the spray and dry Turtle Wax after each wash. Inputs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The CG Jet Seal is probably the worst sealant I have tried as it just doesn`t last very long. CG has some very good advertising and some middling products. Try Opti-Seal or Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal. Both are super easy to apply and actually last several months. If you are looking for a more traditional sealant try Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant then top with the CG Butter Wet Wax for a nice shine.
    Likes Civicclutch, aaron1085, Boden liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

aaron1085- Welcome to Autopia!

While I haven`t used the products you mentioned, and can`t recall the last time I found a TW product acceptable, I generally think that if you`re happy with your results you should just keep doing what you`re doing.

But just FWIW, I`d want to use stuff that lasts for months and months, even on a limited-use vehicle. On big vehicles (I have an OBS Tahoe), I hate to redo the LSP (Last Step Product, i.e., "wax"/sealant) more than once/year.

FWIW#2, I`ve used a few sealants that didn`t last any longer than/as long as some waxes.
    Likes aaron1085 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I did notice the CG Jet Seal didn`t see to last very long. That said, even if my wax wears off, the sealant should still help the vehicle hold a "slick shine" and protect it correct?

I`m always down to try new products (assuming they aren`t crazy money or difficult to put on) so perhaps I`ll try that Wolfgang or Opti-Seal.

Post Thanks / Like

There is also a subtle appearance factor to add to the confusion. Some carnauba`s seem to produce a deeper warm glow as opposed to some sealants which produce a brighter perhaps more reflective result. I believe it is all about how they bend or absorb light. For my tastes, I prefer the warm glow on darker colors and the higher reflectivity on lighter colors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aaron1085 View Post
    .. even if my wax wears off, the sealant should still help the vehicle hold a "slick shine" and protect it correct?
    That`s the theory. I`ve hardly ever done the "wax topper" thing, so I`m sure others have more useful info than I do, but in my case when the wax died it seemed to simply need redone; the presumably still-extant sealant didn`t keep it "still LSPed".

Eh, IMO (and that`s all this is and it`s worth what you paid for it ) these days it makes more sense to just find one LSP that`s right (whatever that means for *you*) for a given vehicle and use (just) that. There are sealants that look "wax-like"; there are waxes that last so long and protect so well that they might as well be considered "sealants" in the practical/functional sense; and there are coatings that presumbably offer near-miraculous benefits. Unless somebody has a specific reason, or a personal desire, to do the sealant + wax combo I just don`t see the point.
    Thanks Swanicyouth thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Forgive me, what`s LSP mean?

Wolfgang says it`ll last 4-6 months. Would likely make sense considering my truck is mainly a garage queen and babied. That said, I would mind an easy spray wax to have on hand as well. I`ll forgo applying a hand wax over a good sealant and just stick with a quick wax.

Or maybe .. someone could recommend a solid hand wax I could apply that would LAST and then I could simply do touch ups with a quick wax spray. Input??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aaron1085 View Post
    Forgive me, what`s LSP mean?
    Sorry, didn`t mean to be inscrutable LSP = Last Step Product, i.e., "wax"/"sealant"/etc.

Wolfgang says it`ll last 4-6 months. Would likely make sense considering my truck is mainly a garage queen and babied. That said, I would mind an easy spray wax to have on hand as well. I`ll forgo applying a hand wax over a good sealant and just stick with a quick wax.
    I`d caution you to take any durability claims...any claims at all for that matter...with a grain of salt

I use a Spray Wax (Optimum Car Wax, "OCW") as a Drying Aid on my wife`s car and that`s working quite well. It has an underlying coat of a conventional wax but I have no idea whether that`s a significant factor.

On my vehicles, I find that QD-strength Infinite Use Detail Juiced ("IUDJ", a Rinseless Wash) accomplishes basically the same thing, lasting long enough to be fine until the next wash (these vehicles are LSPed with FK1000P, which would be fine all by itself but the IUDJ does seem to keep things a bit nicer).

Or maybe .. someone could recommend a solid hand wax I could apply that would LAST and then I could simply do touch ups with a quick wax spray. Input??
    FK1000P is what I like, but its look might not please everybody on every paint/color. My drivers all have this for their LSP with the IUDJ being used as a Drying Aid (not used as a genuine Rinseless Wash).

Post Thanks / Like

as a detailer said do i want to play and we all do a coating dose not really allow much as far as changing gloss colour ect

Post Thanks / Like

Let me throw this into the mix - are the Klasse sealants still held in high regard or have they been bettered by the newer technology sealants?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    Let me throw this into the mix - are the Klasse sealants still held in high regard or have they been bettered by the newer technology sealants?
    Bob, I believe that the Kasse Twins are still highly regarded by those who have used them. This said, I think many of those same users have moved to sealants/coatings/products that are easier to use. If simplifying the process is the same as "bettered" then there probably are better products out there. As far as looks and protection go, Klasse stacks up just fine.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    I`m still using the Klasse Twins (with *MANY* layers of KSG) on a few specific areas on a few vehicles. Mainly the exterior gloss black plastics on the A8/S8 and Tahoe. I do this for the thick "plasticy" build-film that many layers of KSG provides; IME it`s an actual physical barrier that protects against (very, *VERY* light) marring and to me it looks just right on those surfaces.

If it provided all the benefits of FK1000P (which does *not* require all those layers) I`d still be using it on certain vehicles and on wheels. IMO the FK is the only stuff that`s better on a Daily Driver...though I`ll admit that Collinite has its uses too.

And had I not switched to Ultima Tire & Trim Guard + I`d still be using it on other exterior black trim.

I always found KSG easy enough to use (thin THIN *THIN*...if you can see your application before buffing it off then you used too much; I used much less than an ounce on something like a Suburban including jambs/etc.) but having a vehicle off the road for days on end so I could build up all those layers was problematic. And on something big, I`d rather do one/two coats of FK1000P than >4 coats of anything, even if the FK1000P *didn`t* also last longer.

IMO applying fewer than four coats of KSG misses out on its real benefits. Do four to six and then it`s worth using. Otherwise I did about as well with Collinite, which IMO looks better. With six layers KSG is almost as durable/protective as FK1000P but needs redone sooner.

Looks...eh, it`s one of only two LSPs I can think of that I hated so much on Audi silver that I stripped it off and redid it. But hey, that`s just me and I liked it fine on other silvers. It`s got a signature "wrapped in plastic" look that some people won`t like on some colors. IME the looks improve through four coats and then don`t get better (nor worse) when you add more for durability/protection. Generally, IMO it`s not the glossiest stuff out there and it doe not provide much depth/jetting. But that`s nit-picking and I doubt one person in 1000 would look at a nicely prepped vehicle wearing Klasse and think anything`s deficient. Even plenty of Autopians think it looks just fine. And if they quit making FK1000P I`d probably consider going back to KSG on a few of our vehicles.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information