Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Waxing VS Sealent

IMO, FK1000P = Paste Sealant even if they do call it a wax.

VTEC <3
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help guys... I`m a little more confused then when I started but I do understand that Sealent will provide better protection and will last longer, so I`ll be sure to grab some. Do you think chemical guys would be ok?

Post Thanks / Like

VHONDAV6- At the risk of confusing you further, I *absolutely* disagree with the generalization that "sealants will last longer than waxes". The sealant I use on my S8 doesn`t last *nearly* as long as many waxes and offers basically zero protection against etching. And yeah that does raise the question of why I keep using it, but that car`s a garage-queen anyhow and once I use that sealant up I`ll switch it to FK1000P (unless something better comes along).
    Likes aaron1085 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not an old salt like many of the other members on here nor do I profess to have near as much experience as most of them do however, from a weekend warrior perspective this combination has served me well. It`s relatively quick and easy, costs are reasonable and it seems to give me the gloss and protection that I require. Wolfgang 3.0 sealant topped with Collinite 845. How long this combination lasts depends on many things, number of time and how you wash your car, where you park your car and in what type of weather, garage kept or not, daily driver or not etc etc etc. There are lots and lots of alternatives and other opinions-----this is just my humble opinion.
    Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    coatings are for quitters.
    Great quote

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

My problem with coatings (which I do use on wheels) is related to spot-correction, and my worries that whatever I use won`t be sufficiently Accumulator-proof, leading to the discovery of high-spots/etc. later. If I were rewaxing every few months that`d be one thing, but my FK1000P seems to last almost as long as some coatings (while admittedly not offering all the same features).

Never Enuff- That does sound like a sensible approach and 845 seems to work fine over top of most anything (as does 476S). When I gave my niece-in-law the Volvo wagon, I included a bottle of 845 and it was easy for that non-autopian to keep the car nicely waxed.

The 845 has enough solvents in it to do a little bit of cleaning too...yeah yeah, I know...!Autopian Heresy!, one of those big no-nos, but hey..

Post Thanks / Like

I`m proud to report that I am a quitter, I after long and careful thought I went the way of opti gloss coat. I am in the camp of FK1000P and 845 however last week I did my 2013 F-150 tuxedo black after seven days of curing I washed it today and I must say it gave me wood. Now I will bang out the wife`s 2008 sable it may not be for everybody I will also add if you can use opti-seal you can easily use opti coat. All the work was in my prep especially being black, but once your happy with the paint its cake. Now the only question I keep rolling around in my head should I do a second coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that just because a product seems to "last" longer doesnt mean its actually protecting your paint.

Many carnauba waxes offer better environment protection against things like bird poop, sap etc than a sealant.
    Just because your sealant makes pretty beads when it gets wet doesn`t mean that it is necessarily doing a good job of protecting your paint.

I use both (sometimes together, sometimes separately)
    Find the right one that suits your needs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VHONDAV6 View Post
    Thanks for the help guys... I`m a little more confused then when I started but I do understand that Sealent will provide better protection and will last longer, so I`ll be sure to grab some. Do you think chemical guys would be ok?
    Just throwing in my two cents - I don`t use ANY Chemical Guys stuff. They turned me off when they came out w 19 different kinds of soap.

Having said that, If you want to go the sealant route I would suggest one of these:

Blackfire Wet Diamond, All Finish Paint Protection

Jescar Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant 16 oz.

You need a very thin coat. Don`t over apply or it will just be more difficult to remove.

If you`re basically looking to buy only one product for paint protection - you can`t go wrong w this.

Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax No. 845

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    My problem with coatings (which I do use on wheels) is related to spot-correction, and my worries that whatever I use won`t be sufficiently Accumulator-proof, leading to the discovery of high-spots/etc. later.
    But that`s the part that builds character; apply coating in the garage, finish after dark thinking you`re a HERO! Pull car out in sun the next day, find it looking like a spotted leopard, realize that you are (in fact) a ZERO!

Quiet contemplation...

Post Thanks / Like

BudgetPlan1- Heh heh, I never did accept that premise that "suffering builds character"
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You`ll want to do a carnuba over synthetic whatever the manufacturer labels it or calls it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I myself always preferred to watch other people build character.

Post Thanks / Like

E-Jag- Heh heh, that was good

Quote Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
    You`ll want to do a carnuba over synthetic whatever the manufacturer labels it or calls it.
    Heh heh, I`ll never do something like that again....never. Guess some people still do, but I just use the right single LSP.

VTEC <3
    Post Thanks / Like

Boy I thought owning a car would be easy!!! Feels like I`m shopping for growth enchancer pills!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information