Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

cant get rid of holograms

**posted initially in the machine polishing forum but think it was the wrong place, mod feel free to move, sorry**

So I have a 2016 black jetta. I have put off my initial purchase detail for over a year....but now I`m ready. I attempted last summer and got super frustrated, so I gave up. I did some `test runs` with the product I had left over this past weekend, and Im thinking Im seeing the same results.

I did all the proper prep - 2 bucket wash, clay, wash etc, but I could NOT get the holos out of the paint. Now here is a disclaimer, and maybe some can answer from experience, the product I was using had been sitting in a Virginia garage for two plus years...think its bum at this point?

Heres what I had left from my old batch *cough 2013 cough*: Menzerna s1500, sf4000, sf4500, fg400 (theyre all called something different now but autogeek still references the old names), and also sonax perfect finish. As far as pads, I had the "uber" brand from detailers domain from microfiber, to med cut, to polish, to finishing. I also attempted lake country pads on my go-round last summer.

...and still holograms! I used fg400 and s1500 on my audi s4 two years in a row and it was BEAUTIFUL, never seen a holo in my life. What the hell am I doing wrong? My machine is a griots DA with a few different sized backing plates. I have taken a gamble and figured my old polish batch may be on the fritz due to not storing right, so I have some new Menzerna SF 3500, Medium Cut 2500, and menzerna heavy cut on the way. I think these should be MORE than enough.... What is inducing the holos? Is it too MUCH pressure on a too aggressive pad? Should I rely more on finishing polish and light pressure/fast passes once I compound, and NOT expect to see too serious of a result after initial compound?

I`m getting disheartened and not sure the solution. Ive detailed other cars, and my old audi, and never would conclude its my technique. But hey who knows. any help is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: cant get rid of holograms

Need to see picture`s, if you`re using a DA your not getting holograms your getting haze, though. If you are getting haze you are either using too aggressive of a pad, polish, both or simply not breaking down the polish (By not allowing it the working time it needs, Menz is a DAT).
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Need to see picture`s, if you`re using a DA your not getting holograms your getting haze, though. If you are getting haze you are either using too aggressive of a pad, polish, both or simply not breaking down the polish (By not allowing it the working time it needs, Menz is a DAT).
    Never heard it called haze before. Whats DAT? how many passes you think? Given it doesnt dust out and dry up, and remains workable, 6 passes?

ill post some pics tonight

Post Thanks / Like

Usually the holograms come with rotary polishers, but what you could be seeing is the oils left over from the polishing stage. Try using an IPA or Eraser to remove all oils after polishing to see if it makes a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Usually the holograms come with rotary polishers, but what you could be seeing is the oils left over from the polishing stage. Try using an IPA or Eraser to remove all oils after polishing to see if it makes a difference.
    I`m using menzerna control cleaner to wipe each time. I will get some pics as soon as I get home today .

Post Thanks / Like

Oddly, enough I`ve had good results removing holograms with a soft pad on a DA and Megs Ultimate Polish.
    You might wish to give this combo a try.
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Oddly, enough I`ve had good results removing holograms with a soft pad on a DA and Megs Ultimate Polish.
    Is a Rupes Yellow Polishing Pad sufficient or is that too harsh?

If so, is a Rupes White Finishing Pad or CarPro Gloss Pad a better choice?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SGM2008 View Post
    Is a Rupes Yellow Polishing Pad sufficient or is that too harsh?

If so, is a Rupes White Finishing Pad or CarPro Gloss Pad a better choice?
    I`d go with the Rupes white or Carpro Gloss pad soft pads
    Likes SGM2008 liked this post
    Thanks SGM2008 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great idea, and cost effective, and you can just go down to the store and get Megs UP. Oily and easy to work with.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had holograms that were *incredibly* hard to correct even though "they`re just shallow scratches" (scare-quotes intentional).

IMO using Menzerna might not be the best approach since the oils in it can *really* hide such stuff IME. I utterly *DESPISE* oily products for hologram removal, and that includes stuff like M205 (never tried their Ultimate Polish).

I`ve had to get incredibly aggressive to fix holograms..I know it "shouldn`t be that way" (again,scare-quotes intentional) but that`s how it worked out. Could`ve saved myself some irritation and many hours (at the expense of clear had it *not* been necessary) by just getting aggressive from the jump.

Oh, and having the right lighting is critical. Doing it via sunlight can be a big hassle (my wife and I spent hours over the course of serveral day doing the Yukon XLD that way for this exact issue).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    ... my wife and I spent hours over the course of serveral day doing the Yukon XLD that way for this exact issue.
    I remember you telling that story and I still remember a quote you made.... Someone mentioned that it was amazing that your wife helped you to that extent, and you said you had one of those "if it`s important to one of us, it`s important to both" relationships. Awesome.

Back on topic, to the OP, if you`re having issues correcting the holograms to the point where you want to take a break, you could use Poorboy`s World Black Hole, then your favorite LSP. Black Hole with either hide or greatly reduce the holograms for weeks, until you come up with your game plan. Black Hole is a good mild cleaner and decent pre-wax product regardless of it`s intended purpose, so it`s good to have.
    Likes Merlin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`ve had holograms that were *incredibly* hard to correct even though "they`re just shallow scratches" (scare-quotes intentional).

IMO using Menzerna might not be the best approach since the oils in it can *really* hide such stuff IME. I utterly *DESPISE* oily products for hologram removal, and that includes stuff like M205 (never tried their Ultimate Polish).

I`ve had to get incredibly aggressive to fix holograms..I know it "shouldn`t be that way" (again,scare-quotes intentional) but that`s how it worked out. Could`ve saved myself some irritation and many hours (at the expense of clear had it *not* been necessary) by just getting aggressive from the jump.

Oh, and having the right lighting is critical. Doing it via sunlight can be a big hassle (my wife and I spent hours over the course of several day doing the Yukon XLD that way for this exact issue).
    Ya` never know...it could be hard paint...it could be soft paint. Test a few things to find the least aggressive product that solves your issue.
    What`s my favorite compound and polish? The least aggressive product, that gets the job done, on the paint that I am currently working on.
    Side Note: As far as lighting...I`ve become a big fan of the SCANGRIP Multimatch and SCANGRIP Sunmatch. I even use the Multimatch by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya` never know...it could be hard paint...
    That generation VW has very hard paint, so he`ll need to get something pretty aggressive to work out the holograms.

Post Thanks / Like

OK so I got a quick vid. ````ty quality. The area outside my test spot is obviously nasty dirty, but you can see the difference. are the "holograms" i think im seeing actually just swirls Im not getting out? I feel like the effort and combonations I have put in must be ME causing the damage. But I reallllly dont think its my technique. Not sure. Thoughts? When some of you say "more agressive" should I be using the maximum pad, with my fg400, and speed of 6 with most pressure? Again, I have this weekend marked off for detailing and I have already bought the supplies I wanted to use so i really want to make due with what I have.

Im starting the camera on the right side of the hood/tape line. Then I move to the unpolished side. Not much of a difference....

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never seen a DA cause those sort of holograms...

Are you wiping off the polish after each section or letting it dry before removing it?
    What MF towels are you using?
    How often are you a) cleaning your pad on the fly and b) swapping it out for a fresh one?
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information