Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 119
  1. #91

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    So a slight update to this thread...I thought that maybe I wasn`t working in the Black Hole and SSR1 enough by hand, so I decided to do the trunk as a test and if it looked like the BH was improving the swirls, I`d put it on the rest of the car. If not, I`d just go back to the Klasse Twins.

    So I clayed the trunk, then applied in this order...SSR1, PB Polish with Carnauba, Black Hole, EX sealant with carnauba.

    The claying got a lot of gunk out of the paint and the SSR1 and polish helped a bit as well. But I then applied the BH and saw no filling of the swirls. So I then topped it with the EX sealant and left it. This combination left the trunk with a VERY wet look. I was seriously impressed.

    So I moved onto the roof, and did a different combination: I clayed, then did SSR1, then Klasse AIO, then EX sealant with carnauba. This made the paint a lot slicker and improved the looks, but the trunk still looked much wetter. I decided to top the roof with liquid natty`s red, and that did add some wetness, but the trunk still looks wetter.

    Since the Black Hole didn`t fill the swirls on the trunk, I never thought to use it on the roof. But now I`m wondering if the BH is primarily responsible for the wet look on the trunk? I did go back and top the trunk with liquid natty`s red and it honestly didn`t change the look of the paint.

    The only 2 products I used on the trunk that I didn`t on the roof were PB polish with carnauba and BH. I did use AIO on the roof and didn`t use it on the trunk. Would black hole cause that much extra of a `wet` look?

  2. #92
    Wax Waster Ronkh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SwFL
    Posts
    24,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    yes
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes MackCollier liked this post

  3. #93

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    shiney is good too
    I think the less than stellar results I got were probably due more to me being a newbie and not understanding how to correctly apply the product.

    A few days ago I decided to try again with the SSR1/PwC/BH/EX combo, and put it on my trunk. This time, I used far less product, and worked each product into the paint until it either started to shine, or started to dry out (SSR1).

    As I told Ron, I still didn`t have much/any luck with BH filling the swirls, but the paint looked much wetter, I was thrilled with the results. I`m guessing it`s mostly due to my doing a better job of working the BH into the paint this time.

    Apologies for the newbie question, but `buff to a shine` means work the product into the paint until it seems to disappear and you see a shine? I noticed that it says to do this with both PwC and BH, and I didn`t with either the first time I used them.

    Also, it says `let it haze` for BH, does that mean work it in till it shines, then stop and let it sit on the paint until it seems hazy, and then remove?

  4. #94
    Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    14,323
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    Quote Originally Posted by MackCollier View Post
    I think the less than stellar results I got were probably due more to me being a newbie and not understanding how to correctly apply the product.
    there is always a learning curve for everyone at any level when using new products or using new procedures.

    Quote Originally Posted by MackCollier View Post
    A few days ago I decided to try again with the SSR1/PwC/BH/EX combo, and put it on my trunk. This time, I used far less product, and worked each product into the paint until it either started to shine, or started to dry out (SSR1).
    This is correct .. at this point you wipe off and evaluate .. do I need more passes at this level or do I need to get more aggressive or do I move on to the next step. I fear you are rushing through the steps .. we used to have a member here named Boss429 .. he was a Master at polishing.
    He would polish his truck for up to 17 hours to get the perfect finish before taking the next step. Without actually seeing your paint in person, we can only give you suggestions and you have to pick a panel and figure out how to get it perfect before moving to the next step or product.
    We are more than willing to help you if you have the patience with us

    Quote Originally Posted by MackCollier View Post
    As I told Ron, I still didn`t have much/any luck with BH filling the swirls, but the paint looked much wetter, I was thrilled with the results. I`m guessing it`s mostly due to my doing a better job of working the BH into the paint this time.
    yes working it into the finish is correct

    Quote Originally Posted by MackCollier View Post
    Apologies for the newbie question, but `buff to a shine` means work the product into the paint until it seems to disappear and you see a shine? I noticed that it says to do this with both PwC and BH, and I didn`t with either the first time I used them.

    Also, it says `let it haze` for BH, does that mean work it in till it shines, then stop and let it sit on the paint until it seems hazy, and then remove?
    yes, if you are using a machine, you work either product until you start seeing the shine pop out as you pass .. then stop .. let it haze over (flash) and then buff .. some people just looking for looks, will not wait for the haze and just buff ...
    life is short ..do it while you can

    e-mail info@poorboysworld.com
    Likes MackCollier, rlmccarty2000, WaxAddict liked this post

  5. #95
    WaxAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,149
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    Black Hole can be huge contributor to the wet look, especially in the sense that it can save you time (and clear coat) achieving those results . This was (sadly, past tense) a car of mine that I did with SR2.5, some other polish that I forget, and then BH + Natty`s Blue. Take note that the car, at the time this picture was taken, was a bit dirty, and still looked "wet":

    Likes MackCollier, mbs85, JustJesus, nickclark08 liked this post
    Thanks mbs85 thanked for this post

  6. #96

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    there is always a learning curve for everyone at any level when using new products or using new procedures.
    This is honestly why I didn`t want to use a machine or go with products that were abrasive. I figured if I mess something up with a wax or sealant I can just remove and start over. But I really don`t like the idea of using a product/machine that can remove clearcoat until I learn how to properly use them.

    I`m not too worried about removing any swirls at this point. I`d love it if the BH did some filling, but the wet look it gave the paint was awesome. I`m sure I`ll see similar results on the rest of the car, and I really like the idea of using products from the same company that work together. Also really like that a little amount seems to go a long way.

  7. #97

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    Black Hole can be huge contributor to the wet look, especially in the sense that it can save you time (and clear coat) achieving those results . This was (sadly, past tense) a car of mine that I did with SR2.5, some other polish that I forget, and then BH + Natty`s Blue. Take note that the car, at the time this picture was taken, was a bit dirty, and still looked "wet":

    Just gorgeous! Love the color as well.

    BTW just thought of something, I`ve been doing some research on Black Hole this weekend, and it seems most people top it with a Natty`s wax as you did. Why didn`t you top it with a sealant and then go to a wax? Does the BH react differently to being topped with a wax versus a sealant?

    I understand the sealant will be more durable, but just wondering if the wax being directly on top of BH might react differently than the sealant on top of the BH?
    Thanks WaxAddict thanked for this post

  8. #98
    WaxAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,149
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    Quote Originally Posted by MackCollier View Post
    ... Why didn`t you top it with a sealant and then go to a wax? ...
    Back when this picture was taken, I wouldn`t have had a sealant on hand, because I disliked them. However, two things come to mind: Natty`s lasts a long time, so it`s not like you`re using a beauty wax that lasts 2 weeks. It lasts months - maybe 70% as long as EX-P, and looks better in my opinion, so why NOT use NB? Secondly, as you layer, the top-most coat should be a "softer" product than the underlying coat, so it just "seems wrong" to use a sealant on top of just about anything to me. Maybe someone can chime in with some actual science.

  9. #99

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    Back when this picture was taken, I wouldn`t have had a sealant on hand, because I disliked them. However, two things come to mind: Natty`s lasts a long time, so it`s not like you`re using a beauty wax that lasts 2 weeks. It lasts months - maybe 70% as long as EX-P, and looks better in my opinion, so why NOT use NB? Secondly, as you layer, the top-most coat should be a "softer" product than the underlying coat, so it just "seems wrong" to use a sealant on top of just about anything to me. Maybe someone can chime in with some actual science.
    It`s funny because I was thinking about this earlier, and the whole reason to go with a sealant was because I wanted to seal in the effects of the BH for longer. But then I realized that I would want to apply the wax regularly anyway, so why use the sealant? Seems like I could get the same result, by eliminating the sealant. Less product for the same end result is a good thing, which is what you were getting at, I believe. Plus the Liquid Natty`s Red is sooooo easy to put on and remove. Thanks for the feedback!

  10. #100
    JustJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    Mack, I was going to make a video for you using Black Hole. Then I remembered one already exists. Thanks to Mike Phillips at Autogeek.

    Likes nickclark08, Ronkh, MackCollier liked this post

  11. #101

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Mack, I was going to make a video for you using Black Hole. Then I remembered one already exists. Thanks to Mike Phillips at Autogeek.

    Thank you sir. I saw that one and few more, all got great results.

    With a DA. Going to get some pads and do it right!
    Likes nickclark08, JustJesus liked this post

  12. #102

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    the machine will definitely help with the SSR1 I would use Black pad same for the Black Hole , EX-P with Red and apply the Natty`s by hand
    Now have 2 finishing gray pads, one for applying the PwC and one for the Black Hole. Not really expecting to help the swirls any, mainly want to use the PwC to strip everything off, then really work in the BH and if I can`t fill any of the swirls, at least give it a really wet gloss look. Then will top with liquid Natty`s Red by hand.

    Given this, I assume I would want to work both PwC and BH in slowly at low speeds on the PC? Say move slowly at 2-3 speed? This is an original 7424, not an XP.
    Likes Poorboy liked this post

  13. #103

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    78,447
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    Quote Originally Posted by MackCollier View Post
    Given this, I assume I would want to work both PwC and BH in slowly at low speeds on the PC? Say move slowly at 2-3 speed? This is an original 7424, not an XP.
    Noting that I have zero experience with PB products, I`ll be interested to know what speed is recommended. I can`t recall *ever* doing anything with my (original model) PCs at those speeds. Even when I was just glazing I used 4 or so.

  14. #104
    JustJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    Using an XP model, with Hex Logic Blue foam pad, i *think* I upped the speed from 2, up to 3, or 3.5. I recall the main thing was that I wanted rotation, and the lower speed with the soft foam wasn`t spinning, just jiggling. Upping the speed a bit at a time to get the rotation you want is key. At least IME.

    Mack - I`m not sure you would want to use PwC before using BH. I get that you want to remove existing product, but a polish with Carnauba (wax) in it may not let the BH do its job. I can send you some plain Professional Polish, if you want to PM me an address.

    Also, I went back to watch that Mike P video again, and he makes it looks easy. When I used BH, I made several passes -at least 4-5, over the area I was working on.

    Keep in mind, filling light swirls is one thing, but trying to cover up deeper swirls/light scratches is quite different.
    Likes Poorboy liked this post

  15. #105

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Using an XP model, with Hex Logic Blue foam pad, i *think* I upped the speed from 2, up to 3, or 3.5. I recall the main thing was that I wanted rotation, and the lower speed with the soft foam wasn`t spinning, just jiggling. Upping the speed a bit at a time to get the rotation you want is key. At least IME.

    Mack - I`m not sure you would want to use PwC before using BH. I get that you want to remove existing product, but a polish with Carnauba (wax) in it may not let the BH do its job. I can send you some plain Professional Polish, if you want to PM me an address.

    Also, I went back to watch that Mike P video again, and he makes it looks easy. When I used BH, I made several passes -at least 4-5, over the area I was working on.

    Keep in mind, filling light swirls is one thing, but trying to cover up deeper swirls/light scratches is quite different.
    I also have a bottle of SSR1, should I substitute it for the PwC and use SSR1 then BH? Or just use BH?

 

 
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Product Filling - What`s your process to determine it??
    By David Fermani in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-02-2012, 10:42 PM
  2. Filling swirls, qd with fillers?
    By ron231 in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-01-2007, 09:27 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-11-2006, 01:56 PM
  4. New guy need a process to get rid or swirls
    By TacomaWillis in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-15-2006, 02:17 PM
  5. Will this process work?
    By CaliPhotog in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-10-2005, 02:58 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •