Post Thanks / Like

DIY LED Work Light - Enhanced `Pro` Version

We get a lot of questions about the exact equipment we are using for these lights, so here is the information.....

Products
    Manfrotto 231 CS Light Stand - $272.88 ** (link)
    Manfrotto 231ARM Hand Grip - $38.99 (link)
    Neewer Double Lamp Socket (2 pack) - $14.99 (link)
    Torchstar 18W 5000k LED Bulbs (4 pack) - $42.51 (link)

Just 72 Watt Power, but 4800 Lumen output per stand (4 bulbs)

**If you are handy, I imagine you could fabricate a DIY version of this stand using plumbing supplies or other piping for MUCH cheaper than purchasing the Manfrotto products... Or, if you`re lucky like me, I found 3 of these light stands locally on CraigsList for a combined total of $120. An absolute steal! So keep your eyes out for local deals in your area for high quality lighting equipment**

Benefits Over Budget Friendly Version (click here for <$99 version)
    This setup offers tremendous benefits over the original concept, but of course at a much higher retail cost due to the light stand and hand grip. In my opinion, if you`re a professional, the benefits are worth it! The light stands are the major enhancement compared to the original idea and they are incredibly solid with no fear of tipping over like the cheap original stands that were used. The hand grips allow for very quick position changes without the need to adjust telescoping tubes. The roller base makes maneuvering these lights a piece of cake, and the bases fold up so you can store the stands in a corner or out of the way if you don`t have the space to leave them out. The LEDs I am using now are much lighter than the original ones I purchased and therefore do not droop or sag overtime (this can of course be applied to the original design to fix that issue). You can attach as many sliding arms to the base as you want since the lights are so light, but I`ve found 2 arms (4 lights) to be perfect.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY LED Work Light - Enhanced `Pro` Version

Awesome. Now there are going to be a handful of guys going out and spending $270 on a really awesome light stand and arms. I can see how the elevated lights are a must for roofs and SUV/trucks.

Have you ever tried using dimmable LEDs and a dimmer switch? Im thinking for longer exposures to get super HDR using your awesome lights?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailng View Post
    Awesome. Now there are going to be a handful of guys going out and spending $270 on a really awesome light stand and arms. I can see how the elevated lights are a must for roofs and SUV/trucks.

Have you ever tried using dimmable LEDs and a dimmer switch? Im thinking for longer exposures to get super HDR using your awesome lights?

These lights are dimmable... if you wanted to wire up a dimmer it wouldn`t be too difficult, however I feel no need. If I want less light, I just turn one, or two, or three of the bulbs off.

For photography, we typically use speedlights for studio type shots or light wands for long exposure light painting shots. We have used these lights as well when a constant light source is beneficial and they work fine (can put a softbox or umbrella over them to soften the light).

Likes Jaddie liked this post
    Thanks Jaddie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    These lights are dimmable... if you wanted to wire up a dimmer it wouldn`t be too difficult, however I feel no need. If I want less light, I just turn one, or two, or three of the bulbs off.

For photography, we typically use speedlights for studio type shots or light wands for long exposure light painting shots. We have used these lights as well when a constant light source is beneficial and they work fine (can put a softbox or umbrella over them to soften the light).
    That makes more sense, using softbox and speedlights. I need to use my speedlight (430 II) more often. It has been sitting in my bag for months without use. I should charge the batteries I wish I had more space and the Ferraris, Porsches, etc to photograph. That F430 is still my favorite shot of yours.

Post Thanks / Like

I need a bday gift (mine) for my wife. I`m going to put the budget McGovern light components in my Amazon cart and tell her to buy it for me. Like someone suggested you should look at patents/trademarks for your idea/work. I would love to know how many AGO/Autopians are using them. Thanks again for posting your hard work and new ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailng View Post
    That makes more sense, using softbox and speedlights. I need to use my speedlight (430 II) more often. It has been sitting in my bag for months without use. I should charge the batteries I wish I had more space and the Ferraris, Porsches, etc to photograph. That F430 is still my favorite shot of yours.
    Thanks

Here is a quick rundown of the lighting used in some of the "specialty" type shots we like to do when we have time.

Constant lighting using 2 of the LED inspection lights in a dark room.

YN-360 Light Wand - Long Exposure Light Painting
    1937 Ford Light Painting by Zach McGovern, on Flickr

3 Speedlights (bare)
    F430 Low Key by Zach McGovern, on Flickr

...and of course there is a fair amount of editing that goes into making the backgrounds perfectly black and all that since we do not have a massive shop where we can not have anything within the range of the lights.

Likes ShakingHorizons, mikejames, Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

have you noticed the torchlight Led bulbs getting warm during long use? i think chris brought it to my attention but it never really bothered me. it`s not extremely hot where it would burn your skin but warm enough to make you not want to touch it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donbeezy View Post
    have you noticed the torchlight Led bulbs getting warm during long use? i think chris brought it to my attention but it never really bothered me. it`s not extremely hot where it would burn your skin but warm enough to make you not want to touch it
    ALL light bulbs will get hot. These LEDs are no exception.

When I was testing my original budget friendly concept, I used an infrared thermometer to measure the temperature differences between the outside shell of a halogen light compared to a LED. I actually still have the pictures... here you go...

LED

Halogen

So as you can see, the surface of the LED housing is much cooler than the exposed surface of the halogen, but it does certainly still get hot.

When we used to use halogen lights, I would sweat sitting in front of them for hours. I do not experience that with the LEDs.

Likes ShakingHorizons liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info zach. love what you do for the detailing community
    Likes mikejames, ShakingHorizons liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Happy to help.

Post Thanks / Like

Your light set up looks so good my wife noticed that you need to finish painting your walls. A word of caution though, she doesn`t decide if she likes the color until the whole place is done! lol.

Thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigltc View Post
    Your light set up looks so good my wife noticed that you need to finish painting your walls. A word of caution though, she doesn`t decide if she likes the color until the whole place is done! lol.

Thanks for the info!
    Please let her know she is welcome to come paint any day, any time

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t had any luck with that but I`ve got some free time.
    Likes zmcgovern45 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Can`t wait to see this thread grow even bigger! Any huge differences in defect detection? Or is this just a bigger badder/more stable light stand. Shoot even one single LED 5K 1000+ lumen bulb is plenty on most paints.

Greatest DIY aspect is the actual cost per dollar spent. I wonder if there is a lower temp to compare to regular sunlight...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woob View Post
    Can`t wait to see this thread grow even bigger! Any huge differences in defect detection? Or is this just a bigger badder/more stable light stand. Shoot even one single LED 5K 1000+ lumen bulb is plenty on most paints.

Greatest DIY aspect is the actual cost per dollar spent. I wonder if there is a lower temp to compare to regular sunlight...
    These are practically the same bulbs used in the original concept, but these bulbs are much lighter so they do not cause the bulb holders to sag. As far as defect detection, there is no difference. Same color temp, same light output, same output angle.

The real enhancement here is with the light stand. Most everyone who has the original concept and uses it every day would agree that the light stand is the weak link in the equation. It is lightweight, weak, and unstable. For those who want to resolve all of that, these heavy duty stands with casters and sliding arm are a HUGE improvement. Granted it is a major increase in overall cost, but as I mentioned above, you can likely make a similar stand out of off the shelf materials, or you can hold out for a deal like I did.

Thread Information