Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Driving myself crazy! Another hard clear coat question

Alright guys something has to give here lol!

Some of you may remember my other thread asking about the hard GM clear coat on mainly black.

Hard as rocks GM clear

So I ran into a bit of difficulty again with a new black GMC 3500 Denali. The truck had 3000mi on it and was in decent shape although dirty but still decent. Due to the size of the truck I agreed to do it at the clients shop. Plenty of space but really dark. I used my husky 5000k LED on a tripod for lighting.

So my plan was to one step it and hit it CSL. I had most of the weekend to work on it. So my test spot was with Essence, orange BOSS pad and my g21. I got awesome correction but it was leaving a hazy look to the paint under my light. Now normally I would pull it outside in direct light to see what I am dealing with. Unfortunately I had another thing going against me and that was mother nature. It was raining all weekend non stop. So no way to check my work outside which I really hate.

So in order to try to find a one step to remove most small defects and finish I tried an array of combinations. From my 3401 with different pads and polishes, to my g21 and they all either left hazing or didn`t remove enough defects.

The biggest shock was when I tried my 3401 with a black pad and m205 and I actually got holograms! WTH!?!?? I fought for over an hour trying to come up with something. I ended up using my original test plan. My g21, orange boss pad and Essence. Then followed it up with my 7424, black pad and Essence again. Seemed to work the best but still wasn`t perfect IMO.

I am really wondering if I was fighting my lighting and what I was seeing wasnt something I would see outside.

I went ahead and coated it and called it good. My client is a contractor so the black truck with be on job sites and getting dirty in no time. But I am still wrapping my head around this!

Alright guys I need some help here!!!! I know people gave me suggestions for cutting hard paint but trying to finish this stuff is pretty damn tough and I have polished a fair bit of vehicles. These new black GM are going to be the death of me!!!!!
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Driving myself crazy! Another hard clear coat question

I know that essence can sometimes cause a haze, supposedly if over worked. But am unsure about the rest of the stuff.

Sorry.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

You had better get this GM clear figured out. I know someone who works way to long and can`t spend the time polishing and coating his car. He was hoping to have you do his Black Camaro next spring, since he has scene your awesome work. It has bunch RIDS from a turkey or turkey`s (yes real turkey`s) attacking the car over a weekend when it had to be left outside. Stupid birds see there reflection and start pecking and rearing up and clawing at it thinking its another turkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Black is always a 2-step job IMO, especially GM black, which tends to be fussy at times. I just finished up a black 2016 GMC last night and cut it with M205MF and finished with Hyper Polish and a yellow BOSS pad.

Thanks Ronkh, JustJesus, Stokdgs, The Driver thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    You had better get this GM clear figured out. I know someone who works way to long and can`t spend the time polishing and coating his car. He was hoping to have you do his Black Camaro next spring, since he has scene your awesome work. It has bunch RIDS from a turkey or turkey`s (yes real turkey`s) attacking the car over a weekend when it had to be left outside. Stupid birds see there reflection and start pecking and rearing up and clawing at it thinking its another turkey.
    Don`t worry I am sure it is a simple fix and I am over thinking it. Going to check the truck outside in a little while since the sun is out! Send yiur buddy on over!

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Black is always a 2-step job IMO, especially GM black, which tends to be fussy at times. I just finished up a black 2016 GMC last night and cut it with M205MF and finished with Hyper Polish and a yellow BOSS pad.

Great job Rasky! I think that your right about it being a 2 step no matter what.

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Likes Stokdgs, RaskyR1 liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Rasky - Nice job on that one. Did you use MF Cut disc with the 205?

funny timing, too. Well, great timing.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes the large throw machines no matter what pad are the problem. They can be aggressive on they`re own. You may want to try a small throw da for the last step?

Post Thanks / Like

Some sorta-random thoughts follow, some of which will differ from the experiences/opinions of others and all of which might be a waste of bandwidth:

-IME *every* job that involves significant correction is at least a 2-step
    -M205 can leave "pseudo-holograms" due to the TSO
    -M205 doesn`t finish out well enough for me on black no matter what
    -The Flex 3401 doesn`t finish out well enough for me on *anything* no matter what
    -If you see flaws in one type of lighting, then they`re really there even if you can`t see them under any other circumstances
    Likes Stokdgs, rlmccarty2000, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Some sorta-random thoughts follow, some of which will differ from the experiences/opinions of others and all of which might be a waste of bandwidth:

-IME *every* job that involves significant correction is at least a 2-step
    -M205 can leave "pseudo-holograms" due to the TSO
    -M205 doesn`t finish out well enough for me on black no matter what
    -The Flex 3401 doesn`t finish out well enough for me on *anything* no matter what
    -If you see flaws in one type of lighting, then they`re really there even if you can`t see them under any other circumstances
    Very well said! Especially that last part. That`s what bothers me the most.

Well I was able to go look at the truck outside today since the sun finally decided to come out. In the day light it looks pretty nice. The client will be happy. I will say that there was a little bit of haze I saw.

I guess having an eye has its downfalls lol. I did speak with a fellow acquaintance and very respected detailer and he gave me a few tips for future use.

Here are the pictures.

If I got right up on the fender I could see a small amount haze. Not sure if this picture caught it.

Likes JustJesus, Stokdgs, trashmanssd, RaskyR1 liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Justins00ss- Glad the client was happy, "that`s that!" huh?

Duplicating sunlight in the Shop Environment is indeed a challenge! For me, it`s all about getting the shop otherwise dark and using "point-source" illumination. Lots of guys use LED flashlights for that, though it didn`t work out too well with mine. But getting the shop *DARK* is just sooo important IME.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Chad -
    Another Beautiful, perfect, stunningly clear and glossy example from your shop !
    Nothing but perfection from you and you have been putting out this highest level of work for Years...

I also am a great fan of Optimum Hyper-Polish - that stuff is really amazing and it came out years ago.

Yeah, I would never go into a black vehicle without having supplies for more than 1 step.. Especially jet black..

Justin, sorry you had these challenges.. I am sure you have it figured out now..
    You have to work that paint but not get it too hot either..
    Another super job And learning experience to add to the file..
    Dan F
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, imho it looks GREAT!

That said, I know that at different angles on the black vette I could see a haze, but move a touch and gone. So it was a few peoples opinion tha the paint was playing tricks on us due to the "curves" of the car.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Stokdgs, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think Essence on a Meg`s microfiber finishing pad might have worked better (Boss 21)? Essence works better for me on a microfiber pad. I think it has something to do with the heat. All that aside, black probably need a 2 step process at least.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn that`s big truck, Justin! Not fun!

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Rasky - Nice job on that one. Did you use MF Cut disc with the 205?

funny timing, too. Well, great timing.
    I used Griot`s BOSS MF pads for this one. The paint of these trucks tends to be "sticky" with certain compounds and M205 wiped off effortlessly and cuts extremely well with MF and large throw tools.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

So I gather from my buddy Mr DiTerlizzi that these GM clears typically require a diminishing abrasive type polish to finish down properly.

After a chat with Rob about this matter he confirmed that a 2 step is the only way to approach these new black GM vehicles.

I just wanted to make it clear that it`s not that I didn`t have the tools or product necessary to achieve a 2 step process it was more about the time and budget for the project.

Lesson learned for the future! Thanks again everyone for the inputs! Until next time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information