Post Thanks / Like

Multi Vehicle Winter Prep

I`m going focus on the detailing aspect of winter prep. I have 3 vehicles to prepare, a Silver Audi A5, a Silver Jeep Wrangler and a Red Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. The Audi and JWU have a nano-ceramic coating and the JW was just sealed with Powerlock.

Some will get the same treatments and others I’ll be trying to see how they perform. I’ve been stocking up during all the sales, now I just need to find the time to finish the work.

All vehicles have a Snow Broom which is a must to protect the paint when clearing snow. Rubber trim is protected with Gummi Pflege . Wiper fluid is 1Z Einszett Anti-frost Washer Fluid, this stuff is awesome, not only does it not freeze, it’s the best product I’ve found for clearing your windshield of the hated salt spray. Finally we’ll be trying a new coating on the windows, that will be kit I won earlier this year Pinnacle Crystal Clear Glass Kit.

Floor mats area must to protect the carpet from snow and salt. I use the 3D Airies Liners as I think they work and look a lot better than Weather Tech. The boys insist on using their Jeep rubber mats. I fear I’ll be cleaning a lot of salt from their carpets in the Spring. The Jeeps also have all their plastic trim protected with Dlux.

Wheel and Tire Protection. The Audi will use Optibond and Sonax Rim Shield. The Jeeps will use McKee`s 37 Wheel Coating and Gyeon Tire.

Coating Booster. The Audi and JWU will use Viking Spritz and I’m thinking of using Hydrofoam on the JW.

During the winter we’ll power wash the vehicles as often as possible. I’m lucky that we have a water connection in the garage that never goes below 50. I’m hoping my husband finishes running a hot water connection also so I don’t have to deal with ice cold well water. Unfortunately, I don’t have a floor drain so I have to work outside. As long as it’s above freezing, we’ll wash outside (I have some long insulated gloves). We plan on using the power washer and foam gun to get the salt off the cars as quickly as road conditions permit. If it’s below freezing, we’ll do a rinseless wash in the garage after power washing the salt.

Now all I need to do is find the time to finish the prep. I`m hoping for another mild winter.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Multi Vehicle Winter Prep

All sounds good but we know what winter is really like. Even having a source of running water that has to be used outside means a wet, freezing cold car and a driveway full of ice. And the you still have to do a rinseless. I`d rather hit the coin op till it closes, then light the heater and wash in the garage.
    I`m not sure exactly where you are but the weatherman are calling for a really cold, heavy snow winter after the hot, dry summer we had.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ellens2 View Post
    I`m going focus on the detailing aspect of winter prep. I have 3 vehicles to prepare, a Silver Audi A5, a Silver Jeep Wrangler and a Red Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. The Audi and JWU have a nano-ceramic coating and the JW was just sealed with Powerlock.

Some will get the same treatments and others I’ll be trying to see how they perform. I’ve been stocking up during all the sales, now I just need to find the time to finish the work.

All vehicles have a Snow Broom which is a must to protect the paint when clearing snow. Rubber trim is protected with Gummi Pflege . Wiper fluid is 1Z Einszett Anti-frost Washer Fluid, this stuff is awesome, not only does it not freeze, it’s the best product I’ve found for clearing your windshield of the hated salt spray. Finally we’ll be trying a new coating on the windows, that will be kit I won earlier this year Pinnacle Crystal Clear Glass Kit.

Floor mats area must to protect the carpet from snow and salt. I use the 3D Airies Liners as I think they work and look a lot better than Weather Tech. The boys insist on using their Jeep rubber mats. I fear I’ll be cleaning a lot of salt from their carpets in the Spring. The Jeeps also have all their plastic trim protected with Dlux.

Wheel and Tire Protection. The Audi will use Optibond and Sonax Rim Shield. The Jeeps will use McKee`s 37 Wheel Coating and Gyeon Tire.

Coating Booster. The Audi and JWU will use Viking Spritz and I’m thinking of using Hydrofoam on the JW.

During the winter we’ll power wash the vehicles as often as possible. I’m lucky that we have a water connection in the garage that never goes below 50. I’m hoping my husband finishes running a hot water connection also so I don’t have to deal with ice cold well water. Unfortunately, I don’t have a floor drain so I have to work outside. As long as it’s above freezing, we’ll wash outside (I have some long insulated gloves). We plan on using the power washer and foam gun to get the salt off the cars as quickly as road conditions permit. If it’s below freezing, we’ll do a rinseless wash in the garage after power washing the salt.

Now all I need to do is find the time to finish the prep. I`m hoping for another mild winter.
    Wow!! I`m in CT. I just put a coat of Collinite 845 on my vehicles and wheels & drive through the touchless wash every two weeks or so.

I like those mats. I need some for my new SUV and was thinking of going w Husky. Like the one`s you have - they look like they cover more floor area than the Weathetech`s

And yes - another mild Winter would be awesome...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Britsdaddy View Post
    All sounds good but we know what winter is really like. Even having a source of running water that has to be used outside means a wet, freezing cold car and a driveway full of ice. And the you still have to do a rinseless. I`d rather hit the coin op till it closes, then light the heater and wash in the garage.
    I`m not sure exactly where you are but the weatherman are calling for a really cold, heavy snow winter after the hot, dry summer we had.
    We planned ahead when we built our house and had the driveway pitched slightly away from the garage so there is no freezing water. My husband uses the snow blower to create a path in the yard for the excess water to run. We`ve been washing outside for years without an issue. The only new part to this is the power washer this year and hopefully hot water! The cars are only outside long enough for the wash then brought into the garage to dry.

I`ve heard some of the predictions but I still always hope for a mild winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs View Post
    Wow!! I`m in CT. I just put a coat of Collinite 845 on my vehicles and wheels & drive through the touchless wash every two weeks or so.

I like those mats. I need some for my new SUV and was thinking of going w Husky. Like the one`s you have - they look like they cover more floor area than the Weathetech`s

And yes - another mild Winter would be awesome...
    This is the 3rd vehicle I`ve used these mats on and they work great for coverage and they`re not slippery! They`re a rubber material and super easy to clean. I leave them in all year.

Post Thanks / Like

Being in Ontario and living in the snow belt, road crews are very heavy with the salt.
    Accumulator suggested KAIO with FK1000p over it.
    I used that combination last winter and it worked great!
    I may try doing a second layer of FK1000p this year as I found my paint protection had worn off after about 4 months.
    Because I`m not able to do a proper hand wash, I`m stuck with spraying road grime off or take my car through a touchless wash.
    Being black metal flake it shows every imperfection.
    I expected a lot of micro scratches from removing snow all winter but this wasn`t the case.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah yes, the joys of washing a vehicle outside in the driveway using a hose connected to the laundry tub to get a good mix of not too hot water...

And then it still freezes right back on the paintwork before you get it all done...

All the trips back inside to thaw out your almost frozen red colored hands that ache like heck...

Been there, done that...

You have a great plan, Ellens2 !

Good luck !
    Dan F
    Thanks ellens2 thanked for this post

Thread Information