Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar`s M80 Discontinued. Recommendations for Replacement.

I`ve been using Meguiar`s M80, 82 and 83 for eleven years and just found out M80 is no more. What`s the closest comparable product currently available. I use a PC with 5.5" Lake Country CSS pads and like how M80 finishes out with an orange pad. I think the diminishing abrasives let me go from M80 to LSP. Additionally, I love how M80 washes out from my pads.

Do newer products like M205 finish out as nicely as M80? I`m looking for the same cut and the ability to go straight to an LSP.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiar`s M80 Discontinued. Recommendations for Replacement.

M205 is quite versatile. It will suit your needs.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes bersebany liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    M205 is quite versatile. It will suit your needs.
    Thanks. Does it finnish out as well as M80?

I never noticed a perfectly detailed Pontiac while I was living next door in Gardena and Hawthorne. I bet your car really sticks out in Lawndale. How`s El Pollo Inka doing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang View Post
    Thanks. Does it finnish out as well as M80?

I never noticed a perfectly detailed Pontiac while I was living next door in Gardena and Hawthorne. I bet your car really sticks out in Lawndale. How`s El Pollo Inka doing?
    I never used M80 but M205 finishes out really well.

El Pollo Inka must be doing ok. I still see it in business. I haven`t eaten there in years.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

I always liked M80 (still have some..), in part because it left behind some fresh paint-friendly protection. Haven`t used it since forever though. Never thought it left a *great* level of gloss but it was OK for what I used it for.

Isn`t there some newfangled Meguiar`s product...maybe ?M305?...that is similar in this regard? Does it have similar (mild) cut compared to M80?

I found the heavy dose of Trade Secret Oils in M205 to be a PIA compared to my other Finishing Polishes (still kinda wish somebody`d buy my last ~gallon of the stuff). Also, it doesn`t quite finish out the way I`d like (even on hard paint), which might be user-error but is still a reason for me to prefer other Finishing Polishes. Eh, I know...most people love the stuff and most would probably say it finishes out fine.
    Likes dchristo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have and use both M80 and M205. I`m down to my last quart or so of M80, so that`s being saved for any single-stage paint restorations I have in the future. On a BC/CC finish, I`m happy with the results I get from 205. You can vary the cut and finish quality with pad choice. I have other old-school polishes, such as M02, M03 and M09 on my shelves, but I just find 205 faster and easier to work with on modern finishes.

Bill
    Likes GearHead_1, The Guz, danlc95 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Billy Jack- Before too long only a few of us will even remember those products! Come to think of it, I bet 90% of my M80 (and M03/5/7/9/81) use was on old single-stage. Great stuff for that IMO.

Heh he, M02 had some cut! Good chemical cleaners too, at least back in the day (I thought I heard that they reformulated it though).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Billy Jack- Before too long only a few of us will even remember those products! Come to think of it, I bet 90% of my M80 (and M03/5/7/9/81) use was on old single-stage. Great stuff for that IMO.

Heh he, M02 had some cut! Good chemical cleaners too, at least back in the day (I thought I heard that they reformulated it though).
    As I mentioned, I still have some of the old stuff around. With the oil content of those products, the shelf life was about as good as Twinkies-forever. Here`s a pic I took years ago for a thread about old Meg`s stuff. I think I bought the jugs about 1987, when I was rebuilding a theft-recovery `86 Regal for my wife. Had a jug of M09 also, but it wasn`t in the pic.

Bill
    Likes richy, Ronkh, danlc95 liked this post
    Thanks JustJesus, danlc95 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I still have a jug of m85 sitting around, haven`t used it lately but I`m thinking of pulling it out for an older work truck in a few weeks that a customer wants to look better and have dog claw marks removed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jack View Post
    I have and use both M80 and M205. I`m down to my last quart or so of M80, so that`s being saved for any single-stage paint restorations I have in the future. On a BC/CC finish, I`m happy with the results I get from 205. You can vary the cut and finish quality with pad choice. I have other old-school polishes, such as M02, M03 and M09 on my shelves, but I just find 205 faster and easier to work with on modern finishes.

Bill
    Wow. You don`t hear much anymore about M9. I think I still have a bottle next to my M7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

As I mentioned, I still have some of the old stuff around. With the oil content of those products, the shelf life was about as good as Twinkies-forever. Here`s a pic I took years ago for a thread about old Meg`s stuff. ...
    Bill
    hehe...Twinkies *do* last forever! (well, they would, if I didn`t eat them so fast).

Nice collection!!!!
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

As I mentioned, I still have some of the old stuff around. With the oil content of those products, the shelf life was about as good as Twinkies-forever. Here`s a pic I took years ago for a thread about old Meg`s stuff. I think I bought the jugs about 1987, when I was rebuilding a theft-recovery `86 Regal for my wife. Had a jug of M09 also, but it wasn`t in the pic.

Bill
    That`s a pretty awesome picture!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 06vrss View Post
    That`s a pretty awesome picture!
    I`m just too cheap to throw anything away that still works!

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Billy Jack- I always like seeing the old clear cylindrical bottles, takes me back. Though (at the risk of dating myself) I actually preferred the old names rather than the numbers (M07 = "Sealer and Reseal Glaze"). And yeah, infinite shelf-life.

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx
    Wow. You don`t hear much anymore about M9. I think I still have a bottle next to my M7.
    Still great stuff for concealing flaws on single stange, better than M07 IMO. The two products are more similar than some might think and the abrasives in M09 are so minimal as to barely be worth mentioning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Still great stuff for concealing flaws on single stage, better than M07 IMO. The two products are more similar than some might think and the abrasives in M09 are so minimal as to barely be worth mentioning.
    At least you could use a machine with M02, M03 and M09, as opposed to the arm-wrenching chore of rubbing M07 on a typical 70`s barge. I credit this old stuff with preventing full deterioration of the OEM lacquer of my Camino for 20 years. I`d polish once a year or so with M03 or M09, using a first generation Meg`s yellow pad on my rotary. Maintenance was M07 by hand, then M26 or NXT wax. Not exactly AGO-OCD quality, but better than most of the stuff you learned back then from the volume-oriented used car detailers I knew from my years in the dealership business.

Bill
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information