Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

3D BDX vs Carpro Iron X vs Adams vs Sonax Fallout PLUS vs Optimum FerreX vs Einszett ColourTec

Not the kind of comparison that you would expect with a lot of pictures, more of a technical analysis.

I did this comparison in my goal of finding a color changing iron decontamination method that would be cost effective, and to find out what EXACTLY I am buying.
    Key thing about chemicals like degreasers, sometimes they are all rebranded from some big company with a patent or whatever on chemicals, so I googled and googled for over an hour to check on the different chemicals, hence the list here.

• 3D BDX
    • Carpro Iron X
    • Adams Wheel Cleaner
    • Sonax Fallout PLUS
    • Optimum FerreX
    • Einszett ColourTec

The following 6 cleaners are what I was able to get. I tried to find DUB Wheel cleaners MSDS, but couldnt find it online, despite my google skills.

Shout out to Bob from Autogeek for his post being used as my basis on this post. (I dont know if he posts here). I also didnt want to post this on AutoGeek, because I didnt want to get in trouble. I am liking the Autopia forums more and more over AG, but still love them for all their great information.

Basically from what I researched, the chemical with the CAS Registry number of 367-51-1 is the same chemical, but with a LOT of names, which I thank Bob for informing us on in his post.

CAS Registry Number:

367-51-1
    Chemical Abstract Name:
    Acetic acid, mercapto-, monosodium salt (9CI, 8CI)
    Synonyms and Trade Names:
    Mollescal SF; sodium thioglycolate; mercaptoacetic acid, sodium salt; monosodium mercaptoacetate; sodium mercap-toacetate; thioglycolic acid, sodium salt; USAF EK-5199; CTFA 02954; Erhavit D
    Adams:
    -Sodium Thioglycolate; @10-15%
    CAS Registry Number:
    367-51-1

3D BDX:
    -Sodium mercaptoacetate; @20-25%
    CAS Registry Number:
    367-51-1

Sonax Fallout PLUS:
    -Sodium mercaptoacetate; @20-25%
    CAS Registry Number:
    367-51-1

Optimum FerreX
    -Sodium thioglycolate; @10-20%
    CAS Registry Number:
    367-51-1

1Z Einszett ColourTec Wheel Cleaner:
    -Sodium mercaptoacetate; @5-10%
    CAS Registry Number:
    367-51-1

IronX:
    -Ammonium Sulfanylacetate (Ammonium Thioglycolate); @3-25%
    CAS Registry Number: 5421-46-5
    Chemical Abstract Name:
    Acetic acid, mercapto-, monoammonium salt (9CI, 8CI)
    Synonyms and Trade Names:
    Ammonium mercaptoacetate; ammonium thioglycolate; ammonium thioglycolate; Thiofaco A-0; thioglycolic acid, ammonium salt

With that, I can say that the main active chemical for 5/6 of them are the same, but with different dilution ratios. The only stand out, is Iron X, which has a different major chemical, but I suspect that they are quite similar, but just smells like death. Ill let everyone be the judge on which is of the four similar products is most potent. (Hint: Its probably the one with the higher percentage, lol)

Also, cost wise, I went on AG, and got the largest sized containers and broke down the prices.

Adams:
    128 oz - $60 = 47 cents per oz

3D BDX:
    128 oz - $64 = 50 cents per oz

Sonax Fallout PLUS:
    169 oz - $110 = 65 cents per oz
    845 oz - $400 = 47 cents

Optimum FerreX
    128 oz - $88 = 69 cents per oz

1Z Einszett ColourTec Wheel Cleaner
    169 oz - $68 = 40 cents per oz

IronX:
    135 oz - $100 = 73 per oz
    Thats basically it. I felt that with all of this research, it would be selfish to keep it to myself, hope this helps somebody out there.
    Based on my research, I will probably buy 3D BDX, because of its cost versus percentage content of the main ingredient, plus I heard that Iron X smells like death.

The only thing cheaper than 3D BDX (excluding Adams and Einszett for having less content), is the Sonax Fallout PLUS, IF, and only IF, you buy the 25 liter (6.6 gallons) tank lol, I dont think Ill ever need that much, so 3D BDX is my winner and choice here, which I plan to place in my next order.

Take this all with a grain of salt, and I hope no company tries to sue me over this kind of post lol.
    As said by Mike here.
    Polymer based tire gel?

Thats where I always return to what John Dillon shared with me years ago when people ask,
    "Whats in the bottle?"

He told me to,

"Direct peoples attention to the performance of the product, not the ingredients in the bottle."

Always makes sense to me especially because an MSD sheet is not a formula. Companies only have to list ingredients that are harmful, flammable, or in some other way dangerous in an of themselves or a shipping hazard.

MSD sheets dont have to include all the ingredients, the specific form of the ingredient or how it was mixed with the other ingredients to create the final end-result.

Ive been involved in a few MSDS meetings in my life and they are very interesting to say the least. I know everyone and anyone that hangs out on a detailing discussion forum as a part of their hobby or business is curious about detailing product chemistry, I know I am, but unless youre the chemist that actually creates the formula, all discussions are just that, discussions.

Im not a baker or a chef but I think that you can give two people all the same ingredients to bake a tall fluffy cake but if the ingredients are not mixed correctly and in the proper order by the non-chef, the cake will be flat as a pancake.
    Sources on the MSDS info for each.

4 Color Changing Wheel Cleaners go Head to Head - Page 2
    Thank you Bob for the basis for this post.

Sonax Fallout PLUS
    http://sdb.sonax.biz/cms-themes-sich...LUS_(GB)EN.pdf

Iron X (Couldn’t find the official PDF, but got this from google towards some forums.)
    The Audi TT Forum :: View topic - CarPro Iron-X MSDS

3D BDX
    http://www.3dproducts.com/content/sd...st-Remover.pdf

FerreX
    MSDS FerreX - Optimum Products Discussion - Optimum Forum

Einszett Colour Tec
    http://www.1z-usa.com/content/msds/C...ner-970005.pdf
    I added Einszett Colour Tec to the list, since I didnt know about it, and a member mentioned it.
    Likes Poorboy, ShawnF350, ShaneB, ViperGuy21, JBM and 6 others liked this post
    Thanks ShaneB, ViperGuy21, Migue, House of Wax thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3D BDX vs Carpro Iron X vs Adams vs Sonax Fallout PLUS vs Optimum FerreX

Cant let my gf see me reading this. She already thinks Im a nerd!

Man, I loved this post. The kind of stuff I sometimes like to read, but too technical for me to research.

I thank you!!!

IronX DOES smell like death. I keep it in a plastic Ziploc style bag, away from, well, everything. I made the mistake of leaving it in my Jeep once. The smell lingers.

Im just about out of it, so I picked up BDX at one of 3Ds stores. Havent tried it, though. Im guessing it will work about the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent info. Thanks for putting this together. Ive never tried iron x but did pickup a gallon of BDX. Looks like I made the right call

Post Thanks / Like

Just to put this out there, if anyone from 3D is reading this, and wants to send me a some BDX for this technical analysis, that shows how great BDX is, feel free to do so, lol.

and JustJesus, the nerd in me came out while making this, lol I love researching things that Im interested in. I also started looking up degreasers and learned a LOT in the past few hours about chemicals associated with them, and how bad some are. Like hydrofluoric acid from Meguiars wheel brightener, armorall quick silver and the likes.

If I have time, Ill post about degreasers once I establish enough info. As a preliminary basis, Zep and Simple Green are looking good, in terms of cost and safety. Lol
    Thanks GearHead_1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have found BDX to be inferior to both Sonax FE and Einszett Colour Tec on the same vehicle.

I did not test Meguiars DUB on that same vehicle, but I would say it is comparable to BDX and when on Sale is much less expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    I have found BDX to be inferior to both Sonax FE and Einszett Colour Tec on the same vehicle.

I did not test Meguiars DUB on that same vehicle, but I would say it is comparable to BDX and when on Sale is much less expensive.
    Thanks for letting me know about Colour Tec, I googled it and added it to the list.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been using BDX and it performs well for me. The IronX may work better or the same but ill never smell that crap again.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have "CarPro Iron-X" and "Britemax Iron-Max" and have used almost all of both bottles. Iron-X does smell like a dead body (even the Lemon Sent one I got). The Britemax only smells slightly better (cheery) wish a kind of fishy after odor. They both work about the same but Id give a slight edge to Iron-X in terms of cleaning but they both decontaminate iron equally well (Britemax turned purple slightly quicker).

As I have about 1-2OZ of each left Im searching for what I should buy a gallon of, Ive been leaning towards Sonax FE...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4u2nvinmtl View Post

As I have about 1-2OZ of each left Im searching for what I should buy a gallon of, Ive been leaning towards Sonax FE...
    Unfortunately, Sonax FE isnt available in gallons. The next step up is the 5 liter ($99). It is often available on BOGO and by the case discounts.
    https://m.facebook.com/detailedbykyle?_rdr
    Thanks 4u2nvinmtl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The DoDo Juice product Ferrous Dueller works well and smells similar to BDX. Has anyone tried Chemical Guys new iron dissolver?

Post Thanks / Like

great post for technical information on multiple products.

Click on image to view work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    The DoDo Juice product Ferrous Dueller works well and smells similar to BDX. Has anyone tried Chemical Guys new iron dissolver?
    I doubt any product would go higher then the 25%, so they are all either as good as BDX or not as good.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBM View Post
    I doubt any product would go higher then the 25%, so they are all either as good as BDX or not as good.
    What is that first statement based on?

the second part of the statement leaves out the other variables in the concoction of each product. I think surfactants also, probably play a significant role in how these cleaners work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    What is that first statement based on?

the second part of the statement leaves out the other variables in the concoction of each product. I think surfactants also, probably play a significant role in how these cleaners work.
    Exactly. I find that others work better than BDX. In fact, I find Adams to work extremely well despite having a relatively low amount of Sodium Thioglycolate.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3D BDX vs Carpro Iron X vs Adams vs Sonax Fallout PLUS vs Optimum FerreX vs Einszett ColourTec

Great post. Thanks for the work you put into it
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Thanks TheAverageMan thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information