Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interior Questions

Quote Originally Posted by uhohitsstevo View Post
    I am looking to protect my plastics, (vinyl) dashboard, and safe on my leather. Making the plastics or dash darker does not necessarily matter to me but I want them protected. I currently have Chemical Guys Leather Conditioner for my leather and actually did my dash in it and it looks really good. I am wondering if this leather condition is safe on plastics also. I do not want a greasy feel and only want it to be matte or very slight darker look. I am looking for recommendations. I tried Meguiars Natural Protectant and it seemed like it was rubbing off color. I dont know if this is from the product or if it was removing the dye it wasnt a big amount of color it turned my yellow towel greenish.
    If you like it on your dash and leather, chances are that youll be fine with using it on the rest of your interior. If its too shiny, take a dry towel and buff in the excess.

Honestly, you really dont need anything on your interior to "protect" it. The only real benefit from using a product such as this is for visual and tactile aesthetics.

If youre looking for something that works really well try HD Protect. It actually has a slight darkening effect and makes the surface feel soft without ANY greasiness.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Another choice among the great ones above is - Einszett Cockpit Premium -

Woops, I just looked at the Store here and they are not selling it... Too Bad...
    I love that stuff...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Plus one on the Einszeitt Cockpit Premium. It is always good to use a mild APC to remove previously applied products. I still do not agree that "you do not need anything on your interior to protect it". A good product should add a little UV protection while keeping the vinyl/rubber from cracking due to heat or the natural aging process. Just my opinion, nothing scientific to back it up.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Interior Questions

Quote Originally Posted by uhohitsstevo View Post
    I am looking to protect my plastics, (vinyl) dashboard, and safe on my leather. Making the plastics or dash darker does not necessarily matter to me but I want them protected. I currently have Chemical Guys Leather Conditioner for my leather and actually did my dash in it and it looks really good. I am wondering if this leather condition is safe on plastics also. I do not want a greasy feel and only want it to be matte or very slight darker look. I am looking for recommendations. I tried Meguiars Natural Protectant and it seemed like it was rubbing off color. I dont know if this is from the product or if it was removing the dye it wasnt a big amount of color it turned my yellow towel greenish.
    Back to OPs question, I started using Leather Stuff and Natural Look by Poor Boys and really like them.

They are great for well maintained cars, because they clean when you apply them. So, you can turn a 2 step process into a one step process. LS leaves the surface kind of satin like - its not greasy, but you know there is something on it. Some gloss. NL is a very low gloss product - its very good for leaving your interior with a new car look.

IMHO, PBs stuff is going to be better than Megs or CGs for these type of products (and most products in general). Both of these products are very versatile and can be used on most interior surfaces.

Megs Leather Sealer is a solid product, Ive used and reviewed it. Only problem is - its a 2 step process.
    Likes Stokdgs, BadgerRivFan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Does 303 aerospace protect interior plastics? For me that answer is a resounding yes. I have been putting the aerospace on all the interior plastic since I`ve had the car (3 years). That is everywhere except the underside of the header above the windshield. I don`t really know why I don`t. I just wipe it clean from the dust on it. Of course this doesn`t get direct sunlight on it, even with the top down.

So I`m cleaning the interior today. Once I sat down and wiped the header, top then bottom. I see the bottom isn`t dust, it`s oxidized. No other plastic on the car is that way. Not on the interior, exterior, engine bay, undercarriage of the car. All of those areas hAd regularly gotten the 303 aerospace on them. So I have to say without question it is a great product that works.

Interior Questions-img_0507.jpg

The top top of the header after just a quick wipe.

Interior Questions-img_0508.jpg

The underside, to the right after scrubbing with APC. The left you can see the white oxidation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Geez Rob4092xx! your response is a cut-and-paste from response #76 in the thread:
    Most Effective Leather Reconditioner

What, you don`t think anyone would remember (Haven`t I seen this some place before???) It`s still good/great technical info on leather.

The leather cleaning/conditioning is a forum topic that keeps re-appearing quite often and everyone has a different experience with the plethora of leather care products out there. My suggestion?
    Listen to Stokdgs. I respect his opinions and experience with Spinnybeck.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

ya 303 Aeropace seems to be known to have a high level of UV blocking. There is also Meguiars Natural Shine interior dressing. If you are looking for economical then you could use Meguiars Hyper Dressing diluted down to 3:1.

Also .. by the way .. glass is a natural UV blocker to some extent. I believe that auto manufactures are adding UV blocking to glass. But Still a good idea of course to use something with at least some type of UV protection on the panels.
    https://kaliberdetailing.com
    Kaliber Auto Detailing
    Every Detail Matters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMarkJr View Post
    Also .. by the way .. glass is a natural UV blocker to some extent. I believe that auto manufactures are adding UV blocking to glass. But Still a good idea of course to use something with at least some type of UV protection on the panels.
    I figure that glass does a *LOT* of UV blocking, enough that for fixed-roof vehicles it`s generally sufficient.

I wonder how common interior fading/etc. really are...outside of, say..vehicles left outside in Phoenix. And whether treating those surfaces is really necessary in the functional sense.

I hardly ever use anything other than Interior QDs on my interior plastics and/but I haven`t had any issues since the early `80s (when some neglected cars from the `60s exhibited fading/drying). I`ve never treated interior fabrics, but can`t recall any ever fading (at least not in cars from the last ~30 years).

EDIT: In Coleroad`s case, I wondered whether the APC might`ve factored in...I generally avoid highly alkaline products on interior plastics as I`ve faded previously-OK pieces by using the wrong stuff on them.
    So I always wonder if it`s a solution in search of a problem, just another way to get people to spend $.

(If anybody with great memory recalls what happened with the steering wheel of that A6 I sold to my BFF, I figure that isolated case was a matter of hand creams/perspiration, not mere UV exposure through the windshield. Even Audi was shocked, replaced it gratis though out of warranty.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information