Post Thanks / Like

Dried Wax along the edges of PPF

I have some wax that has dried along the edges of PPF. I can get most of it off with a wet microfiber cloth but some of it is really stubborn - it`s almost like it has embedded into the edge of the film. There was no problem with the paint sealant sticking to the PPF - only the wax. Any ideas or help would be much appreciated. FYI - I used Blackfire Wet Diamond Paint Protection and Blackfire Midnight Sun Wax.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dried Wax along the edges of PPF

Spray/saturate with a quick detailer/waterless wash/spray wax to moisten and add lubricity , then hit it gently with a soft brush (that has been softening up in water for a few minutes) and see if that works.

Edit: welcome.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

It is going to take some long, detailed, careful work to remove embedded anything from the edge of a clearbra...
    They make some really nice square soft detail brushes that can help remove it when its deep in there....
    Something like this - SM Arnold Vent & Dash Detail Brush w/ Horse Hair Bristles, Yellow
    Before you use this or any brush that close to the paint, you need to put a couple layers of black plastic tape over the entire metal ferrule on the brush, so it wont accidently scratch anything, ok ??

The hard part is doing this without leaving tiny scratches on the paint there or the top of the clearbra.... Hence, the long time its going to take...

But You Can Do IT ! I have done dozens..

Sometimes, a good wide fan tipped pressure washer can help get this out - but you have to be really careful - spray it from a good distance to see what happens...
    Get closer until you find just the right place....
    You cannot use a pressure washer in high 2+ - 3gpm range on this ever... Has to be around 2gpm or so or smaller...

Now you know why I always apply Anything on a clearbra starting at the other end carefully, and working toward the edge from the BACK, and Never, from the opposite side of the Bra working Toward It - ever....

And when you get to the edge, you lift up and try not to hit it with anything with pressure...

Sorry you have to do this... It will look Fabuloso when its all cleaned out and then you lose the edge almost completely in the paintwork...

Good Luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the help. Quick question - should I dip the SM Arnold Detail brush into the waterless wash/spray wax that Migue refers to? I have some Griot`s SpeedShine that I use when claying - do you think that will work or should I get something different? Stokdgs - thanks for the suggestion on how to work with PPF. I didn`t get my PC anywhere near the film but when I went back and applied the wax up to the PPF by hand, I definitely went in the wrong direction. I will take your advice and go away from edge. Live and learn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jla956 View Post
    Thanks guys for the help. Quick question - should I dip the SM Arnold Detail brush into the waterless wash/spray wax that Migue refers to? I have some Griot`s SpeedShine that I use when claying - do you think that will work or should I get something different? Stokdgs - thanks for the suggestion on how to work with PPF. I didn`t get my PC anywhere near the film but when I went back and applied the wax up to the PPF by hand, I definitely went in the wrong direction. I will take your advice and go away from edge. Live and learn.
    I know, I learn something new every day...

I would first try to remove the dried wax in the dry condition with the dry brush and see if it will just move out from under there...
    It takes a while, just be patient and you will get it all out...

What you don`t want to happen is to get something that is not clear colored under that edge; then you are back to square one...

I will always pressure wash all clear bra cars very carefully at the initial washing, and then Always work from the Back of the edge towards the edge throughout the rest of the wash, claybar, correct, wiping everything, and to the very end - work from the back of the edge toward the edge, and then be careful what happens at that edge...

You got this !
    Good luck -
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

CD-test whatever you`re gonna use, it can be surprising what`s *NOT* soft enough.

I`ll often take a wooden toothpick and whittle it down to a flat tip, then fray that tip with a razor blade to turn it into a sorta-brush. Then I soak it in QD for a long time to soften it up. I keep resoaking it as I use it.

I had to deal with this for *hours* on the heavily-PPF`ed Yukon XLD I used to have, and it`s easy to have an "oops!" and end up marring paint if you spend enough time at it, just human nature to get careless after a while.

Stokdgs- Thanks for mentioning the "work off the edge", IMO we sometimes start assuming that everybody already does that, but *really* it`s something we need to keep bringing up now and then.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I used the XPel Paint Protection cleaner and a rubber tipped GUM Gingival Stimulator. Spray, soak for 1 minutes and run the stimulator along a 8 inch seam section at a time and it comes right off.

Looks like this...
    Dried Wax along the edges of PPF-gum-stimulator-2jpg.jpg

Attached Images Attached Images
    RockyZJ

NAGCA
    Likes Stokdgs, Coleroad liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

RockyZJ ! I hope this finds you and yours safe and well up there in Mass..
    Wow ! What a great little tool ! I really like that ! Thanks for this !
    Dan F

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe try a Qtip

Post Thanks / Like

I had this situation a few days ago. Sprayed Blackfire wax remover on it. Waited a few minutes and wiped off with a quality microfiber. Worked wonders. Product really impressed me. Supposed to be for plastic trim but worked great in this situation for me.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/blac...l#.XvQuPSRq3Ds

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Maybe try a Qtip
    Be sure to soak the cotton swab with RW/etc. and to blot with it rather than rub; IME they`ll (micro)mar autopaint, though it might not always be visible to the naked eye. Not flaming the idea, I used them back when I had to deal with bugs/bird-bombs.

Thread Information