Thread: Business cards

Post Thanks / Like

Business cards

Can you guys help me with this.I get a request for cards often.
    If i was to have some cards with a name and logo printed do
    i have to register as a business?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Business cards

You should. If you are accepting money in return for services, than you are conducting business and should be registered. Otherwise, you`re simply guilty of tax evasion. It will also make getting insurance easier.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Scott i didn`t see it this way. I was thinking of a weekend deal a few cars here and there ..I thought i would have to make an X amount of income before i would need to report it..

Post Thanks / Like

There are multiple cases of kids getting shut down for operating lemonade stands without business license. Example... The law is the law and technically you can get in trouble for not registering your business.

Here is the good news. It is not expensive at all to register your business with the state. Click Here to get started. You don`t have to go through the expense of setting up an LLC if you don`t want to. It is advisable that you do that (also not very expensive) just for the simple fact that if you are detailing someone`s car and something bad happens then you won`t lose your house or anything not tied to your business. If you want you can just register as a DBA (doing business as) and put it under your own name. Nothing easier than registering your business with the state.

Post Thanks / Like

In my county, business` don`t need a business license if your selling a service, like detailing or powerwashing . But Once the business starts selling items, like wax or shampoo , you need a business license. Thats just how it is here, im sure its totally different in your area. All i have is a trader`s name license. Business licenses are cheap neways.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be best as Jngr brought up to just to a DBA. Put your name on a card with your services and contact information. If you come up with a name then you have to register it with the state. Then you might have to get the business license. Business licenses are different everywhere. Here it cost $150/year for detailers. It`s not much, but if your just doing it once in a while, you can get by without it.

Another problem you might run into while getting the business license is that you are running a business in a residential area (your home).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman
    There are multiple cases of kids getting shut down for operating lemonade stands without business license. Example... The law is the law and technically you can get in trouble for not registering your business.

Here is the good news. It is not expensive at all to register your business with the state. Click Here to get started. You don`t have to go through the expense of setting up an LLC if you don`t want to. It is advisable that you do that (also not very expensive) just for the simple fact that if you are detailing someone`s car and something bad happens then you won`t lose your house or anything not tied to your business. If you want you can just register as a DBA (doing business as) and put it under your own name. Nothing easier than registering your business with the state.
    Sounds as if the sausage guy had Sour Grapes for the boys Lemonade.
    I can`t imagine calling the police was good for business . I appreciate all the input. I will look further into this. I`m kinda surprised i would need to have to register just for a few cars.But i wouldn`t want to damage anothers property either and loose my house..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxima Lover

Another problem you might run into while getting the business license is that you are running a business in a residential area (your home).
    Yeah, that is a zoning issue. The area may not have been zoned to have that kind of traffic going through it. If you are only doing a couple cars a week then that isn`t an issue. What would be an issue is if you have 6 or 7 cars a day driving through your neighborhood to get detailed and another 6 or 7 driving through to get a quote. Then your neighbors start complaining and you get shut down. I`ve seen it happen with people running salons and photography studios out of their homes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman
    Yeah, that is a zoning issue. The area may not have been zoned to have that kind of traffic going through it. If you are only doing a couple cars a week then that isn`t an issue. What would be an issue is if you have 6 or 7 cars a day driving through your neighborhood to get detailed and another 6 or 7 driving through to get a quote. Then your neighbors start complaining and you get shut down. I`ve seen it happen with people running salons and photography studios out of their homes.
    Geez,If things where that good then i could afford to open up a shop.My goal is to do a couple a week. I have a full time job and make decent $$. I`m asked all the time to do a few cars. I have 2 from work next week and three are a referal,but the 3 are from an old coworker ,there only a maybe right now because he is getting some qoutes . i did offer to beat the lowest price. I also offered to do his red GT mustang at a discount price so i can get the 2 other cars.

I get along good with my neighbors. I wouldn`t want to cause them any grief. .things sure are different from just doing a few cars on the side..

Post Thanks / Like

I`m in the same boat. I just do a couple on the side now and then. Nobody in the neighborhood complains, so I guess it must not be a problem.

So what are you going to be calling yourself? Do you have a logo designed yet or anything? I`m always curious what people come up with. I`m still trying to design a logo for my own business and have been coming up short.

Thread Information