Post Thanks / Like

Coatings on powder coatings?

Picked up a new truck with a dump body on it and the winters rust these out in a few years. Would love to put anything on them that would help. Question is if coatings will bond to the body on this truck?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coatings on powder coatings?

I have done a Landrover powder coated roof rack, wiped it down and coated it. Holding up well.
    Likes JBM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about just the bed part?

i don`t see why you couldn`t coat it. Rust comes from exposed metal though, so if you plan to abuse it, scratch it up, beat it up and use it as a truck, a coating won`t really do you any good. If you happen to chip it and expose bare metal, rust is inevitable. Only thing you can do is just keep it protected somehow. Not sure how well it would work but having a gallon of WD-40 and a spray bottle could be your best friend if this was the case. Since WD-40 will drive out the moisture and coat the metal
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail

Post Thanks / Like

I will do the whole truck, (not sure about the windshield?) . It will get used like a work truck , but these things even rust on the top where no one bangs it around.

The paint feels like it has over spray over it, probably not overspray but def. a texture similar. I suppose I may have to clay this first.

Either way ill post some after pictures @ lowes to see how I can improve on a truck with 72 miles on it

Post Thanks / Like

Scuff the entire powder coated section/area and spray rhino liner on it? Should give you a nice thick layer of protection against abuse.
    Likes ShaneB, JBM liked this post
    Thanks ShaneB thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

A professionally installed spray in liner is going to be your best bet on areas of abuse. I had it installed on my truck when I bought it (and later sold) and it`s incredibly tough stuff
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Fort Lauderdale Florida and have landscaping and tree service dump beds. I started in 1985 with steel and without salt they still would rust just from moisture. After watching my money rust away I bought a Aluminum bed in 1996 and 2004. Both beds are still with me with no issues. The 1996 bed is on its second chassis and still shows that it will go till I retire. I paid About $4,000. back in 1996 and can sell the bed today for more than that.When that steel bed looks like time to change consider aluminum will last longer than most trucks. It has been one of my best equipment purchases since high school.

Post Thanks / Like

Powder coat when scuffed makes an excellent primer because it`s electrostatically bonded to the steel then baked. You can`t get that level of adhesion from paint unless you sandblast it first. I`m with ShaneB though, I`d get liner sprayed on it. LineX if you want it hard, Rhino is forgiving on the knees if you have to ever crawl on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the liner material strong enough to have 1500 pound pallets pushed into the truck or will it peel?

I have already accepted that when it looks like crap ill have an aluminum one made. Its around 6500 now. Probably could still sell that body in 2-3 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone apply the coating to the windshield?

Thread Information