Post Thanks / Like

Starting out , help me? 15 years old.

Hi Autopians,

I`m from Canada.

recently waxed my neighbours Gran Marquis with Meguiars Gold class liquid wax. This is the second time I did his car. I charged him 20$ both times and he gave me 25$ the first time
    Is this to cheap should I have charged him more , it took me about. 1 and a half hour to finish.

I want to increase my profit , how can I do this ? I`m thinking about polishing and doing the advanced things later on.

Yes I know school is important , but if this can get me big bucks then why not.

I actually enjoy it.

what should I invest in , products?

Thanks

I appreciate all feedback and comments!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Starting out , help me? 15 years old.

Products are always good and there are plenty of them to choose from.
    My advice would be to invest in knowledge, like the kind you`ll find in this forum. I can think of nothing worse to turn you off of detailing than making a mistake and possibly marring a car finish, because you didn`t know that a 2 bucket method is best when hand washing. You don`t don`t want to pick up loose dirt from the same bucket causing nice circles (swirl marks) in the paint.
    Get the right basics equipment to do a proper wash and wax to start with.
    I`ve never charged so I can`t help you there.
    Good luck banana13!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes banana13, alexxxx89 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting out , help me? 15 years old.

The money isn`t in the last step product (LSP) or its application. In this case the Mequiars Gold Class wax. The real money is in everything you do to actually get the finish in shape to receive the wax. It`s the polishing, the claying, the washing and the many other little things that go into a complete detai. Don`t look at your project as a wash and wax. As has been said, spend some time studying the techniques, learn the complete process and then wax. Don`t be afraid to invest a little to further enhance your profit margin.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Ronkh, banana13 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Gearhead_1 in that that is proper technique. I was looking at it from a 15 year old perspective and that he was just starting out.
    I was just giving advice on how to properly use what he has right now for best results.
    As you learn more and are able to buy little extras like clay and being able to polish before you wax, you`ll be happier with your results as well as being able to maybe ask more once you feel comfortable in your experience.Starting out , help me? 15 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the guys that paint correction is where you can increase profit. Another service you could offer is interior detailing. Vacuum, wipe down the interior and clean the windows.
    Likes marinesoup, Ronkh, banana13 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Pay your dues, learn then start to increase your prices. You are on the right track.
    Likes banana13 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the insight and opinions!! I got the basics down lol.
    wierd thing is the first time I waxed it , I told the owner that I needed to wash it prior to waxing to ensure durability. Second time he said that he will wash it and then bring it to me to wax.

I should invest in a clay bar, I think my results will be much better than before!

Right now I currently have Optimum no rinse , gold class wax, meguairs leather cleaner and conditioner, Mothers protectant, and 25 microfibers.

I might get glazzes and sealants, and charge more.

Is it possible for anyone to get over 6 figuers detailing cars? I know im thinking a bit big haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by banana13 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the insight and opinions!! I got the basics down lol.
    wierd thing is the first time I waxed it , I told the owner that I needed to wash it prior to waxing to ensure durability. Second time he said that he will wash it and then bring it to me to wax.

I should invest in a clay bar, I think my results will be much better than before!

Right now I currently have Optimum no rinse , gold class wax, meguairs leather cleaner and conditioner, Mothers protectant, and 25 microfibers.

I might get glazzes and sealants, and charge more.

Is it possible for anyone to get over 6 figuers detailing cars? I know im thinking a bit big haha.
    Slow down there, high speed. There is real science behind every facet of this field. Detailing is far, far more than just washing and waxing.

Removing surface contaminants is a variable in the gloss enhancement equation, but there are considerations; i.e. micromarring. You can invest in clay bars, which have to be discarded when you drop them, or you can invest in a clay alternative which is rinsed off and is like new again.

As far as income is concerned there are a lot of guys in here who detail full time and have taken pay cuts from their normal 9-5 jobs, but they are doing what they love. Business is business and by that it is entirely up to you.
    Slate Metallic 2015 Toyota Corolla LE, 1.8L CVT

Bright White 2014 Dodge GCV, 30th Anniversary Edition, Blacktop Package. 3.6L 6A

Thread Information