Post Thanks / Like

Taking the plunge... buying a new black car. :) Product suggestions needed.

Hi all,

Well, with the price of gas the way it is, and the fact that I still don`t own a house, which was the entire reason for purchasing my V8 4WD 14MPG-on-a-good-day truck two years ago, I`ve decided to trade it on something that gets better mileage. I`ve settled on a new Accord EX V6 6-speed. Should be lots of fun.

I haven`t been exceptionally picky with my products for the truck, just kinda picked up whatever was on sale, or a good deal. With a brand new black car, however, I`m gonna need more stuff.

The major item that I don`t have on hand that I know I`ll need is a sealant, and wanted to get some recommendations on that. Also, anything else that you think I should add to the process.

Current inventory:
    SSR`s 1, 2, and 2.5
    PPP
    Menzerna IP
    DACP
    Natty`s
    Meg`s paste wax, I believe it`s #26
    Meg`s NXT
    Trim Restorer (love this stuff)
    PB`s Wheel Sealant

Other various items/tools/wash/clay/etc. Have PC and pads.

Process on the truck has essentially been wash/clay/SSR or DACP as required/NXT/Natty`s. I`ve been pretty happy with that.

Looking for maximum protection for my new paint. Durability isn`t a huge issue, but preferably something that can take a wash/QD weekly for at least a good month or more between full details. And, of course, something that looks good on black!

Product question #2:
    Can anybody make any recommendations of coatings for the front end to prevent rock chips? My poor LeBaron that died a couple months ago after 11 years and 140k miles of my driving habits looked like it was hit with a sandblaster. I`ve seen the film type product, and also a sprayed on product, I believe from 3M. I want it to be totally invisible, but protective. Also, any ideas on cost?

Btw, the internet is a wonderful tool. Not only for great websites like this, but for buying a new car. Sticker is 27,950, invoice according to Edmund`s is $25,600, and my best offer so far is $23,880. B-e-a-utiful.

Thanks!
    -Kaos!
    1999 Dodge Dakota SLT 4X4, Metallic Green, Silver Trim
    :duel Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Thrust!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Taking the plunge... buying a new black car. :) Product suggestions needed.

Look into UPP if you are going to be rocking a black car. For point 2, I`d look into 3M protective film for the front.
    2003 GTI 1.8T
    Silverstone Gray
    Fully Loaded.........and then some

Post Thanks / Like

Well it seems like you have a good line up of products so that will be helpful. I agree that UPP would be a good choice. But if you don`t feel like you want to buy anything yet just use the Natty`s and that will last a month. Or wash, clay, light polish (Make sure the dealer doesn`t touch your car!!!) NXT (or other sealant) and top with natty`s for an awesome look.

Kinda confused of "maximum protection but not worried about durability"-- seems like an oxymoron to me. Any wax/sealant will offer protection but its just a matter of how long.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with budman3, the products that you have listed will do the job for you of that I am sure.

Have read about a lot of people speak well of UPP. After seeing a red Pontiac by fellow member Charles W I would be hard pressed to find a better shine than I personally witnessed on that car. Especially if you are willing to do the work to apply it on a monthly basis.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

I have a black vw passat and my paint looks like its drippin` off the body. I have stuck with blue pwc and nattys blue. I do have some swirls in it but hey its black but it still looks wett!!
    I still have yet to find a quick detailer that take little effort and doesn`t leave marks behind. I think I need to give Spray and Wipe another shot.
    2008 Black Sap. Bmw 535i Speed
    2008 Jet Black Bmw X3 3.0 si
    email bimmerclubnc@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I`ve never tried it on black, but on my metallic green truck, Spray & Gloss works great. If it`s a little dusty, I`ll S&W first, and then S&G. While having my truck away from my primary store of detailing products for about 7 months, and only wash supplies, S&W, and S&G on hand, every time I washed it, it looked like it had a fresh coat of Natty`s on it. Great stuff.

So are UPP and EX-P pretty comparable as far as sealants go? Then top with wax of your choice, right?
    -Kaos!

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would definately swap out the Souveran for some Natty`s Blue. I have used them both and, while Souveran is a great product, I just don`t think it`s worth the money when Natty`s Blue is just as good IMO.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Black = grit guards, foam gun, tons of high quality sheepskin washmitts!!

But seriously other than a super wash regiment the products you have will definatly do the job.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 00GREENMACHINE
    I have a black vw passat and my paint looks like its drippin` off the body. I have stuck with blue pwc and nattys blue. I do have some swirls in it but hey its black but it still looks wett!!
    I still have yet to find a quick detailer that take little effort and doesn`t leave marks behind. I think I need to give Spray and Wipe another shot.
    My Alty is black and I`ve found S&W and Meg`s NXT speed detailer to not leave marks. Believe me I`ve tried many different products to avoid marks.

Your inventory looks pretty good. I just added PB`s EX to my selection of product. Boy does this stuff leave a shine. Topped it with Natty`s blue the next day.
    Get used to seeing some imperfections in your paint from everyday maintenance. No matter how hard I try I cannot keep the paint perfect. Black in-fact is a B*tch! Also you might want to invest in a California Duster.
    2005 Altima 2.5S :boxing:

Post Thanks / Like

high quality microfiber and sheepskin, buckets, grit guards. it`s all about the day to day stuff. and stock up on patience, tolerance, negotiation, delayed gratification. I could go on, but my nighthawk black pearl acura cl would hear.
    It`s a healthy addiction. I can stop any time I want. No really.

Post Thanks / Like

First, go with a high quality paint protection film installed by a professional dealer of the product. I previously had film on my Lexus SC430 by Armorglove and it was the best investment I made!

Second, as for LSP`s, all depends on the look you want. Sealants last long, some give off a very high reflection but not much depth. Wax does give more depth but doesn`t last long. Sometimes combining the two you get good results.

Previously I`ve used Poorboys EX-P then added Natty`s or Natty Blue on top. I did a side-by-side between Natty and Souveran and it was hard to tell the difference even to a trained eye. Natty looks clearer, Souveran has same depth, but just not as clear looking. Didn`t test Natty Blue to Souveran.

I`m starting to look into FK1 sealants and top with wax as before for my new black Porsche C2S when it arrives.

Sometimes you just have to "play" with the products to find the one you really like. Go ahead and test different things and you`ll find what works best for you.

Make sure you get the paint film! Just learn that there will be a seam where it ends on the hod area. Keep the seam clean and free from waxes and it`s very hard to tell. The newer film is even clearer than what I had. The best so far is a new 3M "Aerospace" film. Cost, well I had the front bumper/airdam, hood, headlights, fender wings, rocker panels, side mirrors and door cups for about $1200.00.

Enjoy your new ride!

Regards,
    Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deanski
    First, go with a high quality paint protection film installed by a professional dealer of the product. I previously had film on my Lexus SC430 by Armorglove and it was the best investment I made!

Make sure you get the paint film! Just learn that there will be a seam where it ends on the hod area. Keep the seam clean and free from waxes and it`s very hard to tell. The newer film is even clearer than what I had. The best so far is a new 3M "Aerospace" film. Cost, well I had the front bumper/airdam, hood, headlights, fender wings, rocker panels, side mirrors and door cups for about $1200.00.
    Absolutely. That was one of the first things I started looking into. There was never a question that that stuff was going on it. My LeBaron that died a few months ago with 193,000 miles (almost 140k of them by me) and 11 years of my driving habits looked like the face of a block of swiss cheese on the entire front end. I am *not* going to have a brand new car looking like that. Also, before I decided to buy new, I was looking used, and saw several very nice black coupes that had just not been taken care of at all, scratches, swirls, and worst of all, chips down to primer in the front bumper and hood. Not on my car. The guy who`ll be doing it for me said that 3M just brought out their latest generation film in December, and it`s even better and clearer than it was previously. Looking at about $8-900 for the whole kit & kaboodle, including a custom-cut section for the front under-spoiler.

@Marko: My Accord will be the same black. Can`t wait to get it home and detailed.
    -Kaos!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I think you are correct on the new 3M film now called "Aerospace" film.
    Premier Protective Films also is another vendor that handles this type of film.

http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/ppf.shtml

http://Armorglove.com

Anyway, as long as you go with a high quality film and a good pro to install it, you`ll be fine and be very glad that you did!

Regards,
    Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy, a new black honda is like opening up pandora`s box, don`t ask me how I know...lol

I`ve used UPP and the EXs in the past, and wasn`t too thrilled with them on my car. I`ve had Meguiar`s #21 on it this past winter, and have been pretty happy with the results. I think I`m just going to stick with that for protection, and Trade Secret for my "show wax".

btw sounds like a very sweet car, good luck with it.

Thread Information