Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning Floor Mats And Carpet

I Currently Live In Ny But Am Moving To Georgia And I Have A 2005 Gmc Envoy Xl With A Light Gray Interior The Mats Are All Dirty From The Winters Up Here What Do You Guys Recommend To Get Out The Stains And Dirt In The Floor Mats And Carpet

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning Floor Mats And Carpet

Quote Originally Posted by BOWANNA03
    I Currently Live In Ny But Am Moving To Georgia And I Have A 2005 Gmc Envoy Xl With A Light Gray Interior The Mats Are All Dirty From The Winters Up Here What Do You Guys Recommend To Get Out The Stains And Dirt In The Floor Mats And Carpet

Welcome to the site and I feel your pain on light colored mats and rugs....There are a number of threads about cleaning rugs and mats you can use the search feature to find them.

On the mats what I do is brush them to loosen up the dirt then shop vac the heck out of them...pretreat the bad spots with a good APC (all purpose cleaner) mixed with water...I use mine about 50/50 for this....then work the bad areas to loosen up the bad spots....I then use a gallon of warm to hot water and one scoop of Oxy-Clean mixed well...Get the mats wet and brush the solution into the mats....on rubber backed mats I use the garden hose to rinse them off real well, then shop vac real well to lift the water out of them....on mats that are real bad (driver side mat) I find that once it starts to dry the dirt works back to the surface I go back in a shop vac again for the surface dirt....For inside the car I do the same process....except using clean water in a bucket for a rinse and then shop vac....to dry the carpets close up the windows leaving one cracked open for some air and turn on the floor heater on high and let run for about 30 minutes...the mats I set in the sun to dry most will dry over night so that you can put back in the car.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to DC. There is so much information but you may have to search for it. For example, there is a sticky that GSRstilez made that is exactly what you are looking for, and here it is:
    http://www.detailcity.org/forums/det...gsrstilez.html

Read that through along with other posts and then come back if you are still confused.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The link budman posted will help you in cleaning your stock mats. I would suggest getting some rubber floor mats with some deep treads in them. the red clay can be a real pain in georgia.

Post Thanks / Like

What ever you decide to put the hot water and oxy clean is fine but do not place a cap on it or you will have bigger mess to clean .This stuff has a tendency to blow the cap off the jug, other then this you will find oxy clean has some good cleaning abilitys.Good luck with your floor matts .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joe.p
    What ever you decide to put the hot water and oxy clean is fine but do not place a cap on it or you will have bigger mess to clean .This stuff has a tendency to blow the cap off the jug, other then this you will find oxy clean has some good cleaning abilitys.Good luck with your floor matts .
    Has anyone ever thought of taking a spray bottle and drilling a few vent holes on the horizontal tops of the bottle to let the air out? That`s what I`d do because I like to spray carpet cleaner on the carpets for a more even application. It`s not like you`ll be tipping the spray bottle upside down or anything. Even if you just take an old bottle, mix up some oxy and hot water and drill a few holes. No more problem with blowing the bottle up
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Thread Information