Post Thanks / Like

plastic cleaners

what products are you guys using.have you tried Plexus and can you buy it OTC? i want a good cleaner polish and, i noticed some say they can remove scratch`es..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: plastic cleaners

Joe I have been using the Meg`s #40 Rubber and Vinyl Cleaner Conditioner for years on all my plastic interior parts. It works great at cleaning and also leave a nice sheen to everything. Most plastics inside are in fact painted so if you have a scratch you have to be careful trying to remove scratches as you can remove more paint and make it worse. Some plastic are colored all the way through and some are painted.

Richard
    1997 Ford F150 4x4 Pacific Green w/HOK Kandy Green Flames
    2006 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 97F1504x4
    Joe I have been using the Meg`s #40 Rubber and Vinyl Cleaner Conditioner for years on all my plastic interior parts. It works great at cleaning and also leave a nice sheen to everything. Most plastics inside are in fact painted so if you have a scratch you have to be careful trying to remove scratches as you can remove more paint and make it worse. Some plastic are colored all the way through and some are painted.

Richard
    Richard what about clear plastic on the dash over the gauges or the rear windows on convertibles, do they still make them of plastic..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joe.p
    Richard what about clear plastic on the dash over the gauges or the rear windows on convertibles, do they still make them of plastic..
    I just use QD

Richard
    2006 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

what products are you guys using.have you tried Plexus and can you buy it OTC? i want a good cleaner polish and, i noticed some say they can remove scratch`es..

I use Plexus on all clear plastic in the interior. Also use it on my computer screen and sunglasses. For maintaining clear plastic it`s the best thing I have used. It`s a maintenance product, it won`t correct defects. It will fill minor scratches but it`s mostly a cleaner and leaves protection behind. I buy it local. It`s in most motor cycle shops. They also sell it at Canadian Tire here in Canada. Great product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony A
    I use Plexus on all clear plastic in the interior. Also use it on my computer screen and sunglasses. For maintaining clear plastic it`s the best thing I have used. It`s a maintenance product, it won`t correct defects. It will fill minor scratches but it`s mostly a cleaner and leaves protection behind. I buy it local. It`s in most motor cycle shops. They also sell it at Canadian Tire here in Canada. Great product.
    have you guys seen plexus other than a motorcycle shop,actually i passed one when i took my daughter to work.

How come i have seen other brands make claims it will remove defects. could this be that it is actualy a filler..

Post Thanks / Like

most boat dealers and marine supply stores will also carry plexus
    "at the end of the game, the king and the pawn go in the same box"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks , definately gonna pick some up.i see it on a lot of vendors site..

Post Thanks / Like

How come i have seen other brands make claims it will remove defects. could this be that it is actualy a filler..
    Are you asking why other brands of plastic polish claim to remove defects? If so it`s because some do actually remove defects. Mothers Plastic Polish and Megs Plastx will actually remove the defect by abrading the plastic similar to a paint polish on a clear coat. In fact I have used abrasives made for paint on plastic and get good results. Plexus is non abrasive, no alcohol, no ammonia, totally safe for plastic maintenance. Check this out
    http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/frames.html

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Anthony, is plexus safe to use on a stereo face? I have a bit of glue residue from a sticker that was on the stereo face when I got the car new last year I want to get rid of. I am scared to put anything on it though, for fear of damaging it. Do you think plexus would be safe? I was thinking about picking some of it up this week.

Thanks,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by West6MT
    Hey Anthony, is plexus safe to use on a stereo face? I have a bit of glue residue from a sticker that was on the stereo face when I got the car new last year I want to get rid of. I am scared to put anything on it though, for fear of damaging it. Do you think plexus would be safe? I was thinking about picking some of it up this week.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve use some Goo Gone and a rag to remove that residue. Then clean with some alcohol followed by either Plexus or QD

Richard
    2006 Mustang GT

I need a new job
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a company called Novus that makes different levels of a liquid plastic polish. They have a lineup similar to the polishes you see for paint, but made for plastic. They have a heavy scratch remover, fine scratch remover, and a final polish. We sold it at the Harley shop I worked at and I have actually used the fine scratch and final polish for my windscreen. It worked very well, but then again, I don`t know how much difference there is between it and what you may already have for paint.
    2003 Mazda 6i Steel Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by West6MT

Thanks,
    Steve
    Plexus definitely won`t hurt it. It might not be strong enough if anything. I wouldn`t use Goo Gone or alcohol on clear plastic. It can cloud it badly. You might need to use a plastic polish like Megs Plastx or Mothers. Something like Klasse AIO works great for plastic too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A
    Are you asking why other brands of plastic polish claim to remove defects?
    http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/frames.html
    Anthony I have seen so many different names on the market and they claim they can do to plastic what compunds do to paint. I have also seen the Nexus but only on Ebay A good plastic cleaner would be surfice at the moment.

Thanks to the rest who offered up some help.

Post Thanks / Like

Try a boating shop...found some Plexus locally at West Marine.

Thread Information