Post Thanks / Like

Dirt on the way to a car show!~

Alright guys I am new to the forum and wasnt sure which section to post this in. I have a 03 Corvette Z06 and I will do a pretty extensive cleaning before a car show....but....on the way to the car show my car gets dust and grime on it from the road/air. It is black so the dust is very noticable. I normally use the Zaino quick detailer to clean the dust and grime off once I park my car at the car show. I also use clothes that will not sratch the paint. My question is, will I create scratches in my paint from doing this since their is dust on the paint? I just do not know of any other way to give the car the just washed look without doing this. Am I creating scrathes or am I doing what I should? Thanks a lot,

Jason.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dirt on the way to a car show!~

Jason, Welcome!

I think the Z6 works pretty good as a QD on dusty surfaces. I take it you are using good quality MF towels?

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Invest in a california car duster, one of the most important tools for car shows. Other then that a quick detailer for removing the road grime/bugs you pick up on the way there and a spray wax to add some extra depth is all you need.

About the scratching question, anything you rub over your paint weather it be a Micro Fiber cloth, a duster, is going to scratch. Will it be noticable? not right away, but after time yes, you`ll start seeing spider webbing appear. Keeping it waxed will reduce in the maring caused by "quick" detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thanks guys, and yes I am using a good microfiber cloth. Also, I notice that my door jams seem to collect a good amount of dirt, so I will normally after I have finished drying my car completely will open up the door jams and take my absorber and gently wipe off the water and grime since I cannot get to this area when washing. I am assuming this is not the best way to go...what do you guys do for door jam cleaning so that paint will not get scratched? How can I remove these scratches from my door jams....I have a PC and some MIP and MFP with cutting pads and polishig pads and have tried using this on the door jams but it fling some product onto the inside of the car and it doesnt really work well because my door jams have so many curves and contours to them.......so what should I do with my doors jams as far as cleaning them and removing scratches from them?

Post Thanks / Like

i would recomend finding a good qd and a good mf. I really like the adams detail spray, it works really well. you can get it at www.adamspolishes.com i would recomned it
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Post Thanks / Like

Poorboys Spray and Wipe was made just for stuff like this.. search it out and if not ask steve..

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure how much time you have to prepare before you park your vehicle. I know I do to much QD`ing on my Black truck so I am constantly making marks on the paint finish. I also use a CCD and that instills marring as well. Would /could you consider a rinseless wash prior to placing your car into the line up? With proper techniques you can get a marr free finish that would give you an extra pop to the paint when using these rinseless washes with a little QD in the mix.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

On the door jams ScratchX by hand has worked well for me, along with a good spray wax after. Once done it only takes a quick wipe and QD spray after washing to keep them clean.

Don't shop at Wal-Mart
    Post Thanks / Like

Flatbed your car to a show. I have done this for years, much easier, nothing to worry about. I had a "show car" about 8 years ago. I`d clean it up and leave it in the garage until the trailer came. You could also try to find a guy with a covered trailer. I really only had it towed because I was concerned with bugs and road chips. I also didnt want the underbody to get dirty.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I would like to get a trailer but I dont know where to buy one from and how much they cost? I just hate cleaning the car for endless hours at the house then pull it out of the block and its filthy looking! I guess this is what I get for choosing black...oh well.

Thread Information