Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I need a new job
    Post Thanks / Like

HELP!!! Aluminum Wheels

My uncle brought his van over yesterday for me to take a quick look at his wheels. He has been bad this winter and didn`t give his aluminum wheels any attention. He`s got brake dust galore in the pits of his wheels. I`ve got the mothers powerball and polish, but was wondering what you all recommend as far as a good wash for the aluminum. I`m very hesitant about using something that could possibly stain. I`m heading over there Wednesday to work on them, so any info or suggestions you have would be appreciated.
    2003 Mazda 6i Steel Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HELP!!! Aluminum Wheels

Just use a normal car wash soap and nothing else other than an aluminum wheel cleaner. Bare aluminum can be rough for sure when they are in tough shape. I have a new technique with the powerball. I take the powerball and an electric drill (more power than cordless IMO) and then I pour some power polish on the ball. Normally thats all that one would need to do BUT I then take some of the Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish and apply some of that using my finger onto the wheel itself. The mix of the liquid and paste polish works great! I`m polishing motorhome wheels so this speeds up the process, not sure if it`ll be a benefit to the van wheels. Good luck!
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

It is very possible that the aluminum wheels will be clear-coated.
    If they are, the clear-coat needs to be treated like any other paint and any wheel cleaner you use needs to be safe for clear-coated wheels.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budman3
    Just use a normal car wash soap and nothing else other than an aluminum wheel cleaner. Bare aluminum can be rough for sure when they are in tough shape. I have a new technique with the powerball. I take the powerball and an electric drill (more power than cordless IMO) and then I pour some power polish on the ball. Normally thats all that one would need to do BUT I then take some of the Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish and apply some of that using my finger onto the wheel itself. The mix of the liquid and paste polish works great! I`m polishing motorhome wheels so this speeds up the process, not sure if it`ll be a benefit to the van wheels. Good luck!
    Also depending on how badly the wheels are stained and only if they are NOT coated you can use 0000 Steel Wool with some Blue Magic or any other type aluminum polish. This will remove any heavy stains or oxidation then you can use a finer polish to get them sparkling. Then i would suggest a complete washing again and seal with ZOOP Seal. It is expensive but will protect the wheels for a couple years supposedly.

http://zoopseal.com/zoopseal.asp

Richard
    1997 Ford F150 4x4 Pacific Green w/HOK Kandy Green Flames
    2006 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

Go to the auto part store and buy some "Nevr Dull" I believe thats how they spell it...its sold at like Advanced Auto Parts and Auto Zone and stuff... cost 4.99 at my autopart store.

Basically its just like a wad of stuff in a can with polish and you pull a peice of it out and really scrub and then buff it off and the rims look brand new again.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CBlakeNS
    Go to the auto part store and buy some "Nevr Dull" I believe thats how they spell it...its sold at like Advanced Auto Parts and Auto Zone and stuff... cost 4.99 at my autopart store.

Basically its just like a wad of stuff in a can with polish and you pull a peice of it out and really scrub and then buff it off and the rims look brand new again.
    If, theyare not clear-coated.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    If, theyare not clear-coated.

Charles

True but if aluminum wheels are clear coated they should be pretty easy to clean.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CBlakeNS
    True but if aluminum wheels are clear coated they should be pretty easy to clean.
    Neglected wheels with baked on brake dust can be Very difficult to clean, clear-coated or not.
    It`s just like any neglected paint finish and can need a lot of work.
    Basically what I was trying to point out is that Nevr Dull is a metal polish and not a paint polish. If you want to use it on your clear-coated wheels, then by all means do so.

Charles

I need a new job
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, today is the day. I`m heading over my uncle`s house after work. I went out and got the Powerball from mothers, I`ve got my spot buffs kit, aluminum polish, ssr`s, aluminum wheel cleaner, and some s&r. I know I`m not going to need all of it, but I`m not sure if they are clearcoated or not. I know this may sound a little dumb, but clearcoated wheels should be easy to point out right?

Post Thanks / Like

Rub some metal polish on the wheel and if the towel turns black chances are its uncoated. It may be black from brake dust so make sure that the area you polish is just metal. If it is clear coated, S&R should do te job, if they are bare go for the polish.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by max080
    Well, today is the day. I`m heading over my uncle`s house after work. I went out and got the Powerball from mothers, I`ve got my spot buffs kit, aluminum polish, ssr`s, aluminum wheel cleaner, and some s&r. I know I`m not going to need all of it, but I`m not sure if they are clearcoated or not. I know this may sound a little dumb, but clearcoated wheels should be easy to point out right?
    After having polished (non- clear coated) aluminium rims on my Jeep for years....I came to this as the best for results... After I washed the rims...I use a hard cotton bob / taper on the end of my rotary buffer spinning it at 1800 RPM`s....The polish that I used was Zephyr Pro-40 this stuff is the bomb....It took quite a while to get them back up but the result was worth it....I spoke to a guy that dose this for a living and he said that HEAT is the key for getting the aluminium to polish to a mirror finish

Here is the link to a web site that has the cotton bob`s, tapers, etc that you will need to bring them back to new again

http://www.zephyrpro.com/goblets.html

Here is a pic of my American Racing rims after I was done...the before pic of which I do not have, you could not even see your reflection in the rim
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

I need a new job
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks beemer, you may have given me a glimpse of what`s to come. The wheels are American Racing also.

Post Thanks / Like

max

Your welcome its alot of work but a whole lot cheaper than replacement....Good luck and PM me with any questions

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

I need a new job
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy

Here is the link to a web site that has the cotton bob`s, tapers, etc that you will need to bring them back to new again

http://www.zephyrpro.com/goblets.html
    You know, the products available today just amaze me. It seems there are solutions to just about every problem you may encounter. Of course I don`t have time to order that being that I`m going over there today, but for future reference it seems like a terrific idea. Maybe an additional profit center for current detailers. "Ask about our wheel restoration package!" Sounds like a winner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by max080
    You know, the products available today just amaze me. It seems there are solutions to just about every problem you may encounter. Of course I don`t have time to order that being that I`m going over there today, but for future reference it seems like a terrific idea. Maybe an additional profit center for current detailers. "Ask about our wheel restoration package!" Sounds like a winner.
    MAX

I offer this out as a service for customers...depending on how bad they are will determine the cost...I can get about $75 to $100 extra on the detail to bring back rims to life....Currently I am working on leather restoration as my next project.

If you can show this thread to your Uncle

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information