Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 3M products

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3M products

Deanski, you have to wipe the film, not wash off. They show washing to demonstrate that the swirls won`t come back after washings.
    How to say
    Klasse
    Souverän
    correctly?

Post Thanks / Like

When I use 50077 and 50383 again I`ll tell something more about them.

Post Thanks / Like

Has any one tried the new polish 3M came out with 05927 ..it is made for SRC finishes...

R & E Paint Supply. 3M 05927, Finesse-It SRC Finishing Material, 1 US Quart

curious to see what you think of it...

AL
    2004 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Bright Red
    My PitBull Rides Shotgun

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have polished a BMW X3, black metallic and it was pretty damn hard.
    The solution was Menzerna PO85RD3.02 with the top tool and my compounding pads, they are very coarse but leaves a very good surface. Used PO106FF and PO106FA after but I don´t think they added so much gloss, just the little extra that you need.

We also used 3M 80439, wich is my friends new favourite. Some thing about the PO106FA...gave a good gloss, same as all Menzernas finshing polishes, a little easier to wip off, maybee less working time but I can´t tell you this for sure. I had very little time for testing beacuse we where in a hurry.

Can post some pictures when I get home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maesal
    If I understood you well, I have to work the polish until it goes clear. Then, remove the oils. I used it and when the abrassives break down, the polish is still wet.
    Thanks Deanski !!

Edit: As I see in the video, the polish must be worked at 1800 rpm?
    Yes, work it until the abrasives break down, but polish is still wet.

Yes, it likes higher RPM for it to work correctly with the pad.

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bence
    Well, after watching the vid, I am definitely DON`T want to try this system. It is at least one generation behind. The whole language tells me 3M`s approach and they use the words "swirls", "glaze" suspiciously often. The interviewed people basically tell the whole story: until now, it was not satisfactory, but with this extra step it is heaven. Oh, well...

Of course, the Ultrafina will remove, eliminate, the swirls but when you don`t work it in well, it will fill them. Huh???

They trying to sell a product which throws oily splatter (telling me that I`m using the correct amount)? Come on! And I thought I could do a car in a tuxedo...

The surface on the video is excellent, but the thing is a bit fishy to me.

What would he say if he`d try the 106FF which has surprising cut, yet still produces a world-class finish - doing this with not just a velvety, but a stiffer pad as well? Or a basically traceless, residueless OPS?? Or an LSP-ready heavy compound???
    You know, I didn`t catch the glaze phrase, but I`m sure it`s burned into their memory from the previous 3M polishes which are true glaze material (clay). Maybe someone should have edited this "webinar" before release. Someone NOT from 3M to catch the wrong use of Glaze.

You`re also right that it seems to throw off some oils as well? I see that too and they say it`s correct? Very odd.

I`ve yet to go to the shop where there will be a 3M rep demo`ing this new product and I`ll have my Menzerna to compare it with. I`ll have to really ask what`s with this oil leftover.

Yes, as a test they say a wash afterwards does not bring back any marring, which tells me it`s not filling as with normal glazes.

We shall see soon enough. Hope to get pics of this as well.

Regards,
    Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bence
    Deanski, you have to wipe the film, not wash off. They show washing to demonstrate that the swirls won`t come back after washings.
    Yes, they say after polishing to wipe it off with a "3M MF" type cloth. Then they go into discussion as to washing it afterwards as proof the swirls or marring is truely gone.

I hope they use a good soft mitt while they wash.

I agree that this newer polish is to compete with Menzerna and also Meguiars in some shops. 3M has the majority share in most shops in the USA. However, get to a few higher-end body shops (mostly Euro owners and cars) and you`ll find Menzerna polishes. These higher-end shops are dealing with Ferarri, and other exotics. The ones I know all use Menzerna and they will not evenlook at 3M. Reps have tried to get these shops using it or even trying it and they refuse every time. Old school owners who know better I assume.

Anyway between this "Ultrafina" and the other SCR polish, they are really aiming at the high-end cars with SCR finishes developed by PPG and Glasur paint companies. Some paint companies require Menzerna for finishing or they cannot guarantee correct results.

Regards,
    Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by porta
    Well I have polished a BMW X3, black metallic and it was pretty damn hard.
    The solution was Menzerna PO85RD3.02 with the top tool and my compounding pads, they are very coarse but leaves a very good surface. Used PO106FF and PO106FA after but I don´t think they added so much gloss, just the little extra that you need.

We also used 3M 80439, wich is my friends new favourite. Some thing about the PO106FA...gave a good gloss, same as all Menzernas finshing polishes, a little easier to wip off, maybee less working time but I can´t tell you this for sure. I had very little time for testing beacuse we where in a hurry.

Can post some pictures when I get home.
    Yep, for some reason, BMW paint is hard as nails. Porsche is soft, go figure.

Anyway, you`ll need a good polish for any marring or swirls on BMW paints, so the 106FA or 106FF at the end will look great. I have used the 85RD at the end just for added gloss, but the 106FF is no slouch if worked correctly. It`s gloss level is very close and almost indistinguisable from 85RD.

Hope it goes well for you!!

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)

Post Thanks / Like

Must try the 106FA and 106FF more to be sure what I think about them.

Some pictures of the X3 we did today.

Deswirling of a black metallic BMW X3 with Menzerna SCR polishes - Autopia Car Detailing Forum

Post Thanks / Like

Bence and maesal:

How long can you use the Mirka 2k and 4k grit before it starts to lose the cutting effect?

I have been talking to a company that have done some testing and they told me after one car that pads like Mirka have lost almost all the effect. He is going to send me samples and told me these would stary sharp for a much longer time.

So I will have to try and see for my self...

sia Abrasives - Coated Abrasives

Post Thanks / Like

Marcus, I use my Mirka pads for gentle spot sanding (wet & dry) but I have bought them in May last year. I don`t know how`d they held up if you`d use them in a heavy duty environment, but I torture them on plastics, wash them, wring them and they seem to be OK.
    How to say
    Klasse
    Souverän
    correctly?

Post Thanks / Like

What I saw is that if you put 1 Mirka 2000 into a washing machine, you obtain a very mild pad !! hehehe, my mother put the microfibers, PADs and the Mirka into the washing machine last weekend, I have to order another one.
    I used 1 Mirka 4000 around 5-10 times and in the last uses it losts its cutting effect.
    I use also 3M Trizact 3000 grit, and they are very good.
    sia abrassives, sounds very good

Post Thanks / Like

I have been talking to a friend of mine, and he told me after one car the Mirka 2 and 4k lost a lot of the cutting power. I am waiting samples from Sia, will recieve siacarat velvet 1000,2000 and 4000 and the polish line, called Siashine. 2 polishes and 1 spray detailer(?) the spray was using to trigg the pads before polishing and would add some extra cutting power.

Will read more about it when I get the samples and info. But this looks very interesting.

The Mirka polish line seems like rebranded Menzerna, same lables and etc...

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to me that 106FF gives off awesome finish similar to 085, except that the 085 is a different abrasive level that you can use at a different detail step.

Only downside to the Ultrafina SE is that it is a finishing polish strictly, not like 106ff where it can cut a medium amount. 3M Line seems to be purely shop use and not the most friendly of products. How does Presta line up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deanski
    Yes, work it until the abrasives break down, but polish is still wet.

Yes, it likes higher RPM for it to work correctly with the pad.

Deanski
    Ok, I`ll try tomorrow this polish with a car like yours
    How do you compare the cut of this polish with PO106FF?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information