Whose yer DADDY!??!?!?!?! LastDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Klasse Questions

Hey everyone, I had a couple questions about Klasse that I thought I would just throw out there.
    My mother just bought a used car for my brother, a 2001 Acura CL. It is white and very nice. I agreed to detail the car for him and then transport it to his house and surprise him with it.
    This paint is not in the greatest condition, so I just ordered some Klasse AIO as well as some SG. I have never used AIO before so I am uncertain about the process.
    Do I AIO after claying, or does AIO eliminate the need to clay?
    and is it okay to polish (SSRs) after AIO and before SG?
    and finally can I top the SG with a pure sealant like EX-P?
    I tried reading the blurbs on PAC and Autogeek but they seemed contradictory. Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Klasse Questions

Wash - Clay - AIO - Swirl Removal - Sealant/Wax

That would be the order you should go in. You should always clay right after washing. All AIO does is clean the surface of the paint. It removes oxidation, old wax and sealants, paint stains, and anything else that causes issues with appearance or sealants bonding. Since AIO is a non abrasive product it isn`t going to do anything for swirls and you need to still use a polish to get rid of those. Just look at AIO as a paint cleaner and use it as such.
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok that was what I was figuring. Thanks for the help.
    What about topping the SG with EX-P? Is that redundant?

Post Thanks / Like

Topping any sealant is pretty redundant if you ask me. Some of them look good after a few layers, but it isn`t like you are doubling the protection really. I guess what I`m saying is that you might see some appearance differences, but it isn`t really necessary to top a sealant with something else. It`s just what people do to get different looks out of their cars. SG will protect the paint and actually look just fine by itself. Far beit from me to suggest you don`t layer anything, so by all means experiment to your heart`s content.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Jngrbrdman]Wash - Clay - AIO - Swirl Removal - Sealant/Wax[QUOTE]

I thought AIO should be used before applying KSG?

I like to use AIO before applying KSG, as using AIO makes KSG a little easier to remove. I also use AIO before KSG to help ensure proper bonding.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a question. how does the surface of the paint become receptive to SG without the paint cleaning capabilites of KAIO?

I would think that the swirl remover, while correcting the paint, would also take out the oxidation at the same time. Once polishing(paint correction) is complete is there not any residual swirl remover product that is left after buffing? Isn`t KAIO the paint cleaner that removes that residual to prepare for SG?

edit:edschwab1, you beat me to it but like minds think alike
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

The reason I use AIO before swirl removal is because I want to be able to see how the swirls that are in the paint and not be confused by swirls that are in the oxidation or whatever wax is on the car. If you know the paint is fairly clean then you can just skip ahead to the swirl removal and then use the AIO as the base for SG. SG will still bond if AIO isn`t there first. The important thing is that the surface is clean and free of oils. As long as you are using bodyshop safe polishes then you shouldn`t have any bonding issues.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think that for a newbie, it would be wash-clay-swirl removal-AIO- LSP.
    Wouldn`t that make more sense for someone kinda new to detailing?
    "Be right in, honey...I`m almost done!"

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad that I asked that question. The answer make sense. I guess that I am lucky. I have never had to work on an highly oxidized paint. Have always been able to begin using a swirl remover of the proper degree of abrassiveness after the paint has been evaluated to determine which polish was neccessary.

Thanks!!
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Just for the sake of discussion.
    The swirl remover is used before the Klasse AIO when I do my vehicles. They aren`t oxidized, but I would think even an oxidized finish should be pretty well cleaned up by most swirl removers.
    My procedure:
    Swirl removal - Polishing pad - PC speed of 4 or 6
    Klasse AIO - Polishing pad - PC speed of 4 to 5, sometimes by hand.
    4 Star UPP - Finishing pad - PC speed of 4, sometimes by hand.
    Seems to work pretty good.
    Why not try one panel and see which procedure works best for you?

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Well what had confused me, and why I had posted this in the first place, was that I had always thought AIO was a product designed to remove residual sealant, wax, toppers or whatever and basically eliminate the need for a Dawn wash (which I would always rather NOT do) to prep the paint for polishing. However when I finally ordered some for myself I was reading the blurb about it and it stated to NOT follow AIO with an aggressive polish as it would polish out the AIO. This is what got me confused.
    Then to top it all off this is a car that I will be giving to my brother and probably never see again, so I really want to make sure that I don`t make any mistakes which may shorten the life-span of the sealant, which is Klasse SG.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use the AIO after I polish because I like the squeeky clean feeling, and the acrylic protection that AIO leaves. Granted, the protection is minimal but I would rather have it on the car and not polish it off.

Post Thanks / Like

AIO is a great chemical cleaner that will leave behind a small amount of acrylic protection. SG is a pure acrylic sealant without any cleaners.

If you AIO then polish, yes you will remove the small amount of acrylic that it orignally left behind. This is usually never a problem if you are following up your polishing by using a pure sealant or wax.

Pogo123 has already stated his reasons for doing it polish then AIO. Either method works fine, the choice is up to you.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chml17l
    AIO is a great chemical cleaner that will leave behind a small amount of acrylic protection. SG is a pure acrylic sealant without any cleaners.

If you AIO then polish, yes you will remove the small amount of acrylic that it orignally left behind. This is usually never a problem if you are following up your polishing by using a pure sealant or wax.

Pogo123 has already stated his reasons for doing it polish then AIO. Either method works fine, the choice is up to you.
    One reason I have used the Klasse AIO after the swirl remover was that the swirl remover I was using, (Meg`s #9), may have left some oils that would affect the bonding of my sealant. That may not be a problem with Poorboy`s SSR`s.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman
    The reason I use AIO before swirl removal is because I want to be able to see how the swirls that are in the paint and not be confused by swirls that are in the oxidation or whatever wax is on the car. If you know the paint is fairly clean then you can just skip ahead to the swirl removal and then use the AIO as the base for SG. SG will still bond if AIO isn`t there first. The important thing is that the surface is clean and free of oils. As long as you are using bodyshop safe polishes then you shouldn`t have any bonding issues.
    I have used AIO before polishing, but usually on car which have been detailed before, have dirty paint, or oxidized paint. I will have to try applying KSG without using AIO prior to application. AIO is one of the most veristile product I have purchased.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Thread Information