Post Thanks / Like

Waxing your Wheels?

Okay, I know you`re supposed to wax your wheels with AIO or whatever you like, but c`mon- Isn`t your next application of wheel cleaner going to take that right off? I have nothing against busting my ass to get everything right, but I don`t want to spend all that time only to have it undone on my next wash. Maybe i`m wrong- will most wheel cleaners remove wax or even AIO?

Boss_429
    ACE,

Why use wheel cleaner everytime you wash your wheels. Try some car wash soap. If you wash frequently, and you`ve put a good product on the wheels that will stand up the the high temperatures, like UPP, Zaino, or others, you shouldn`t need to use wheel cleaner.......... and even if you don`t use a synthetic, you may not need to use the wheel cleaner. I haven`t used one in years.

Just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I didn`t think you could remove even weekly brake dust without some sort of wheel cleaner, but i`ll try AIO on one wheel and see how it works out. Definitely worth a try.

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Search wheelwax on the board or look at it on pac. Some people have said good things about it.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like
    My GF has a BMW and it has a ton of brake dust, always was hard cleaning it. I used AIO followed by UPP, man I can actually remove the brake dust with a terry towel. I follow up with a QD, wheels sparkle. By the way UPP looks better than anything else I have used on wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    The concensus seems to be that a polymer should be used on the wheels due too its heat handling capability. I use Meg`s #20 with nary a complaint!

Now, I just do the wheels once every couple of months with the #20 and wash with car soap otherwise. When it is time to seal again, I will use EO wheel cleaner, then and only then; no need otherwise!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never used a wheel cleaner on my wheels. My wheels are a PAIN to clean but, keeping them waxed is the way to go. Before I discovered UPP I used meg`s medallion with good results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, okay. Maybe i`ll just do my two front wheels and see what happens. I`m getting tired of going through wheel cleaner like water anyway!

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Waxing Wheels

Ace, just my opinion, but I think the finish on your wheels should be treated as good as if it were paint. Would you ever think of putting something as strong as that wheel cleaner on your paint? What I would recommend is giving your wheels one good cleaning and then applying a good coat of wheel wax. Apply a coat every couple of months or so. Then, when washing use the car wash used on your paint, and they should come sparkling clean. My alloys are 3 years old, never had a cleaner on them, and still look like showroom condition by using this process. ( Keep in mind I am in the North East where there is lots of snow and salt...) Just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay- I`ll do three wheels and leave one for comparison.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay - you guys shamed me into it. Today I scrubbed down my tires with Amazing Roll Off and a bucketfull of Dawn and cleaned the wheels with AMR as well. Dried everything, waxed the wheels with Klasse (which I dropped and busted!!!) and gave the tires a twice over with Megs Endurance (which looks too shiney to me right now). The whole job must have taken close to two hours complete with going over the tires again with a fresh Eagle One Swipe pad to get all the excess off. Hell of a lot of work. I just hope it`s worth it. We`ll find out on the next wash day, if it ever stops raining. Luckily, I caught about 3 hours today where it didn`t rain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just posting a 2-month follow-up. Well, after taking your advice and waxing my wheels, i`ve gone 2 months without using any wheel cleaner!. I just use a short-handled wheel brush and my remaining car wash soap in the bucket and my wheels are perfectly clean. Thanks for the excellent advice and keep it coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    After protecting my wheels, I wash with seperate mitt while doing wash. Then QD wheels and rest of car.

This may be another use for PB SNW.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Thread Information