Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question detailing made easier ..

what type of things do you guys do to make detailing easier as you go along,or what do you do to be creative?

Example by rubidog: Containers for clay are easy to find...hit up Target or Wal-Mart and pick up a travel soap container...less than $1 and it works like a charm! Just a thought

Another member(sorry for not remembering who said this, but you can always post it here to take credit) uses a caribiner hooked to his belt loop to keep the cord from the PC/Rotary in place.

Others have purchased ketchup bottles from the dollar store to use for their products..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: detailing made easier ..

Another member(sorry for not remembering who said this, but you can always post it here to take credit) uses a caribiner hooked to his belt loop to keep the cord from the PC/Rotary in place.
    That`s ok no harm done and will all forget and/or can;t recall everything we read and who said it.

That was me by the way.
    I use meauring cups to try and keep the Ounce of soap to gallon of water pretty accurate when washing. The old method of just pour some in wasnt working you either got to much soap or not enough.So now i measure.

Richard
    1997 Ford F150 4x4 Pacific Green w/HOK Kandy Green Flames
    2006 Mustang GT

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have my products located in my garage based on when I typically need them. Degreasers, wheel cleaners, glass cleaners, some QD, tire and wheel shine, towels, gloves, and some brushes are in the closet nearest to the door since those are typically things I use when the car is out of the garage and in the driveway. No point in degreasing the engine while it is in the garage. Other products like waxes and polishes are kept closer to the back of the garage. For one they will stay warmer in the winter and for another they will be more easily accessible when the car is pulled into the garage and being worked on. I’ve found that it saves me time having the products organized this way because I’m not walking all the way to the end of the garage to get a shop towel or something like that.

I have also doubled up on a few products and have bottles of things like QD and vinyl/rubber protectant located in multiple areas of the garage. I never know where I’ll be when I need that, so I have it located three or four places for easy access. This also saves time.

Another thing that saves time is to double up on other products too. I’ve got a backup waffle weave drying towel just in case something happens to the first one in the middle of needing it. I’ve got back up pads for the PC too just in case. I’m using the new Edge 2000 system now, so that saves time by having a back up pad on the other side of the one I’m using. That always saves time.

My philosophy on detailing can be summarized in three letters. PPP. Process-Products-Patience. Once you have the process down then it is just a matter of choosing the right product for the job. So many out there will do the trick, so it doesn’t always boil down to one ‘best’ product. Then you just need to have patience and do the job right. I’ve found that by following that principle it has saved me loads of time. Having patience will help you think clearly about which product you should use and which process you should employ. If I could give any advice to new detailers then I would suggest they work on those three areas first and then worry about pricing and marketing. Its actually an article that I am working on that I hope to get on OCDetails soon. Just doing a little more research.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that was cool of you to take the time and patience to write all the info down. btw i have frequent your site and even bookmarked some of your info,one thing i can promise you is i will never cut and paste it as my own .

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased 30 8oz. plastic bottles with flip tops from US Plastics.

I loaded EVERY liquid product for the exterior and interior (that didn`t require a sprayer) into each bottle and labeled them.

I then bought a nice tool box that perfectly houses all the bottles. The tray in the tool box is loaded with all sorts of brushes. The little flip top containers on top of the box have razor blades, latex gloves, quick disconnects, 3 prong to 2 prong adapter and a handful of other gadgets.

I also bought smaller 24oz spray bottles for various APC and wheel cleaner solutions. I also bought small 8oz spray bottles for all my QD`s. This way a lot more stuff can fit into my rectangular bucket. My other rectangular bucket houses products that I can`t break down into smaller bottles (like Tarminator, etc...). Then each of those buckets are used for the 2 bucket wash method.

SO, when I go on a detail or bring my stuff up from the basement, I can nearly take my ENTIRE arsenal of products that are consolidated into a little amount of space.
    Seth

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joe.p
    one thing i can promise you is i will never cut and paste it as my own .
    That`s right you won`t. I`ll just put a call in to the copyright mafia and have your fingers taken off if you do. lol I seriously don`t mind if people use my stuff as long as they ask first. Those articles are posted all over the place.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spilchy
    I purchased 30 8oz. plastic bottles with flip tops from US Plastics.

I loaded EVERY liquid product for the exterior and interior (that didn`t require a sprayer) into each bottle and labeled them.

I then bought a nice tool box that perfectly houses all the bottles. The tray in the tool box is loaded with all sorts of brushes. The little flip top containers on top of the box have razor blades, latex gloves, quick disconnects, 3 prong to 2 prong adapter and a handful of other gadgets.

I also bought smaller 24oz spray bottles for various APC and wheel cleaner solutions. I also bought small 8oz spray bottles for all my QD`s. This way a lot more stuff can fit into my rectangular bucket. My other rectangular bucket houses products that I can`t break down into smaller bottles (like Tarminator, etc...). Then each of those buckets are used for the 2 bucket wash method.
    I also have purchased the 24oz. spray bottles from USPlastics but they put the sprayer heads in that only have the 7-1/4" long tube and they do not reach to the bottom of the bottle. This causes an issue with dilution ratios when time comes for refilling. So what i do now is any time i order from them i make sure and tell them in the Comments Section to put the 9-1/4" spray heads in and then i can trim them to length so that they go to the bottom of the bottle.

What 8 oz. bottles do you get the round or oblong. I also have a few small sample bottles that are fillied with QD and i keep one in the truck with a MF.

Richard
    2006 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 97F1504x4
    What 8 oz. bottles do you get the round or oblong.
    I get these 8oz ones - very sturdy

I never bothered to check my spray head tube length. I`ll have to see. I have the chemical resistant sprayers and they are excellent. They shoot a fine mist and I seem to use less product.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spilchy
    I get these 8oz ones - very sturdy

I never bothered to check my spray head tube length. I`ll have to see. I have the chemical resistant sprayers and they are excellent. They shoot a fine mist and I seem to use less product.

Yep those are the same sprayers i have as well and they do have a very fine mist spray which is nice. Only thing i do not like about them is they cannot be turned off like most sprayers can with a twsit of the end cap on them.
    By the way my short sprayers sit about 1/4"-1/2" off the bottom of the bottle. Thanks for the link on the small bottles those are the ones i was looking at as well. Nice to know they are goood and also what size others are using. They have a lot of great products at USPlastics.

Richard
    2006 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

If you guys like i have a link for 5 gallon buckets in different colours and you can get the grit guard and the lid cover..i`ll only post if if someone is interested.

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I find those chemical resistant sprayers when you get a little air in them (turn it sideways, running low, etc.) it takes a lot of work to get them going again. I`ve been trying different bottles and sprayer. The best are the Zep/AM sprayers, but they don`t hang on pegs well (my system) and are hard on the hand after a while.

I have a 40`x40` garage less and office, but basically a wash bay and two detail bays. I have two chemical set ups--wash & detail. In the wash set up I have all my soaps, wheel cleaners, tire shine, etc. I also have QD, S&W, all exterior solvents, APC cut at different levels, WAUD, clay lube window cleaner and all the exterior brushes.
    In the detail bay (they aren`t really bays, just spots, but whatever) I have all the interior products, plus all the exterior waxes, polishes, sealants, QD, clay lube, clay, paint & leather treatment, shampoos, crevice tools, vac attachments, mf & rags, etc. I also double up on APC with different cut levels.
    I also have rolling carts with all the interior detailing tools I can bring right to the car door, and other rolling carts to put product on. My paint touch up kit travels together, as does my pad kit, all on rollers.
    What I don`t have a good set up for are for tools. I also need some plastic bread racks to get my 5 gal tubs off the floor. They collect dirt from washing.
    Brenton Dickieson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Detail
    I find those chemical resistant sprayers when you get a little air in them (turn it sideways, running low, etc.) it takes a lot of work to get them going again. I`ve been trying different bottles and sprayer. The best are the Zep/AM sprayers, but they don`t hang on pegs well (my system) and are hard on the hand after a while.

I think the reason for that is they have a check valve ball inside the sprayer head and my guess is this helps with haing the chemical come out right away so it does not drain back into the bottle. At least that is my opinion. I kno0w some sprayer heads you have to pump a few times to get the stuff to come out but on the chem sp[rayers it is instant.

Richard
    2006 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Detail
    I find those chemical resistant sprayers when you get a little air in them (turn it sideways, running low, etc.) it takes a lot of work to get them going again. I`ve been trying different bottles and sprayer. The best are the Zep/AM sprayers
    I haven`t had that problem (yet ). I have had that problem with cheap bottles from Costco that I threw in the garbage . Also I have had that problem with a couple of Zep bottles as well as the other spray bottles at Home Depot. I moved away from the Zeps only because they`re too big for me (not that they are bad in construction or anything). I did save all the spray heads though. They`re very good.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joe.p
    If you guys like i have a link for 5 gallon buckets in different colours and you can get the grit guard and the lid cover..i`ll only post if if someone is interested.
    US Plastics sells all of that stuff.

Buckets

Grit Guard

Seat Cover

Here is a good places for a 5 gallon bucket dollie Link
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like

one idea i can give...is using a fertilizer /pump sprayer to put on the tire shine....it does use up quite a lot of tire shine, but it goes on very evenly

i do used car lots where im pressure washing anywher from 15-20 cars...and using the spayer on the tire saves a lot of time and is easier on my forearm....but the dealer does supply me with unlimited tire shine..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information