Post Thanks / Like

Base Coat Clear Coat

I have a 96 black ES300 that I bought last summer,and it has no clear coat. I would like to get my hood repainted and one door but the paint shops say that they are set up for base coat clear coat and thats what they spray everything. Will it be a problem then?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Base Coat Clear Coat

base coat is your color and the clear coat is shot on top of that.........I would go to your dealership and ask them who they use, as a start. Also I would think that you have a clear coat on that car...
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy
    base I would go to your dealership and ask them who they use, as a start. Also I would think that you have a clear coat on that car...
    If his car is a Lexus and black than it most likely doesn`t have clear coat. Lexus black is single stage if I remember correctly.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy
    base coat is your color and the clear coat is shot on top of that.........I would go to your dealership and ask them who they use, as a start. Also I would think that you have a clear coat on that car...
    It seems like I remember reading that some Lexus paint was single stage with no clearcoat.
    Your idea of checking with the dealer is a good one.

I`m surprised that a body shop only does base coat/clear coat work.
    I`ll have to check with my friends in the body shop and see if that`s common.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony A
    If his car is a Lexus and black than it most likely doesn`t have clear coat. Lexus black is single stage if I remember correctly.
    I didn`t know that Charles I thought all new cars had clear coats...news to me...I wonder where I could find out about his on the net?

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it is only base coat but my question is what if it is painted with base coat clear coat will it be ok ?
    I also dont understand if my car is just base coat only cant they just leave out the clear coat?
    When I called a couple very good body shops they said all there cars are base /clear and that is what they are set up to do ,like it is just fine but it has me concerned.

Post Thanks / Like

To answer your question if you car is single stage paint then, repainting the hood and a fender with base coat and CC would look odd....Again I would head for the dealership and ask who they are using...I`m sure you are not the only one that has had this problem in your area.....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen22
    Yes it is only base coat but my question is what if it is painted with base coat clear coat will it be ok ?
    I also dont understand if my car is just base coat only cant they just leave out the clear coat?
    When I called a couple very good body shops they said all there cars are base /clear and that is what they are set up to do ,like it is just fine but it has me concerned.
    Since this seems tobe a question that needs to be answered, I just now called my friends in the body shop.
    1. They no longer do single stage paint work. They don`t even have the system that they used for it.
    2. If it is done right, you won`t know the difference. It should match and blend in with the rest of the car without being at all noticable.
    3. He thinks MAACO might still do single stage paint, but he wasn`t recommending them.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    Since this seems tobe a question that needs to be answered, I just now called my friends in the body shop.
    1. They no longer do single stage paint work. They don`t even have the system that they used for it.
    2. If it is done right, you won`t know the difference. It should match and blend in with the rest of the car without being at all noticable.
    3. He thinks MAACO might still do single stage paint, but he wasn`t recommending them.

Charles
    LOL Charles no I`m not going to maaco. :no: I appreciate you checking into this for me,and that it will look and match ok. This was a concern to me.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen22
    LOL Charles no I`m not going to maaco. :no: I appreciate you checking into this for me,and that it will look and match ok. This was a concern to me.
    He did say that the BC/CC paint will stay shiny longer if the vehicle isn`t cared for. That would then make the repaint noticable because it would look so much better than the neglected paint. Given that you are even here, I have to guess you plan on taking care of your paint.

Charles

Thread Information