Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: %^&*#@ Tar!!!

Post Thanks / Like

%^&*#@ Tar!!!

It seems that every car that I do these days has tar on it. Some fresh and some that has been on there for a while. This eats up some serious time removing so what does everyone use to remove tar. Is there anything out there that truly works???

Poorboy- When are you gonna get your chemists to whip
    something up for tar??

Post Thanks / Like

I use ....

I have recently switched to Auto Magic Prep Klean, this product has been very effective for me the last few cars. I spray the product on in areas needing tar removal, wait for a minute or so, then I wipe off the area and follow with a rinse. This first application will get +80% of the tar off the car, might do more but I do not leave on any longer. I follow up with spot treatments. This has cut my time significantly. This product also works well to remove wax and some overspray. I was also having to spend large amounts of time on bug removal as well, and for that I use the same procedure, except I substitute a 4:1 mixture of 4 Star White Lightning product and this works VERY well for me.

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    I use solvent on tar and bugs you need to follow up with soap and water rinse. Its been working for me and its cheap and quick
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol @ rtcat .....tar is a two fold problem ...if it`s been on for a while like a lot of customers cars it has become a real PITA to remove...most of us who take care of our vehicles, can use a light polish and it comes right off when fresh, and I even use Spray and Wipe if its still gooy and soft with a cotton , not mf towel....you`ll ruin the mf with tar...
    The only true products that remove tar have high petroleum distillates in them...which are not great for the clearcoat but most effective....now there are a few prep-products as noted above that are also PD based, bu````ch out on white...sometimes it seems to yellow the clear a bit...

Now for a recommendation....you didn`t really hear or read that i said this.....

If you buy the cheapest liquid wax you can find...they are also full of PD`s and I used to see a guy selling this stuff called Satin Gloss ..pink stuff that literally melted the tar using a tissue...yes i said tissue....it saves a lot of time and is cheap...then you repolish those areas and then apply the good products...

PS..I`ll let the chemist know your wishes...roflmao
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve always used WD-40 followed by a rinse then a soap wash.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    WD-40 seems to work for me too. Plus I keep it in stock anyways for greasing squeaky doors or any other lubriction needs.

Everyone needs WD-40.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the ideas everyone, I `ll have to give them all a try.:p

On a side note, I watched a guy use kerosene last nite on his truck and it did a pretty good job. I`m not a pro like some of you guys but how safe is it to use just straight kerosene?

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    if it`s on a damp or wet towel it`s not going to do harm...by itself it may damage clearcoats and possibly yellow it...

now if the car was yellow ..it might make it look better...ok I`m joking....
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who owns the banana rocket Cavalier? We should talk him into kerosene dipping that baby

Post Thanks / Like
    I always use WD-40 Or APC+ or EF Hi Intensity cleaner works everytime.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t mention EF, I wish I had the stuff everytime I detail a car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like there products I couldent go without them. I would like to see a water based dressing from them and an improved smelling Black Opal other then that there product line is amazing.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Black Opal would qualify as a water based dressing, would it not?

And I plan to go with a FULL EF lineup as soon as I can afford it. I dont care, their products are amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Black Opal is not a water based dressing. Just smell the stuff. Nice bubble gum smell to try and cover the smell of solvents and silicon oils.

I do have Ef Hi Intensity and Ef Clear Vision, both in gallon containers. I like the stuff. forgetting about my gallon of Ef Clear Vision, I also bought a case of Stoner`s Invisible glass last year. Now I use both. Stoner`s first, then follow up with Ef if Stoner`s missed some crap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well its flammible so im guessing its solvent based. It says Danger never spray on a hot engine not like a would or anything but it says it will flash. Yes the Full line up wont last you long you need to get the full line up in gallons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information